Wiki Posts
Search

Request additional companion sticker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Avis First
Request additional companion sticker upgrade

My wife and I will take the ORD-BOS flight on Thursday and our upgrades were both cleared. Then my cousin decided to join us this. She served in the military and just returned from IRAQ. We want to give her a surprise and get her upgraded as well. When I call the EXP desk, I was told that since I upgraded my wife already (she has no status), I am not able to upgrade my cousin by using the stickers. She said I can use my EVIP but I think it's just a waste for an EVIP upgrade on ORD-BOS.

So my question is, is there a cost effective way to do this? Does it worth a try to talk to the AAngels or gate agents? I know AA is very nice to military personnel. Now what I am thinking is just to give my seat to my cousin so that she can sit with my wife in the F class. Do I need to inform anyone doing this?

Thanks a lot for your responses.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dclocation

So my question is, is there a cost effective way to do this? Does it worth a try to talk to the AAngels or gate agents?
Yes, I would suggest doing this. It's been known to happen if space is available. And this has applied to folks of any chosen profession.

Cheer.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You can only have one traveling companion for upgrade purposes; those are the T&Cs. You can indeed change seats - it is advisable to say you will do so; when they consult the manifest and discover someone in F who is not manifested, there won't be trouble if you let them know. (Otherwise, you might leave your cousin between - Iraq and a hard place.)
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It's definitely possible to sticker upgrade more than one companion, I've done it 2-3 times over the years. But several things need to fall into place (IME):

1) space available in F (duh)
2) all other elite sticker upgrades have cleared
3) no one left on waiting list
4) good AAngel in the AC
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
My wife and I will take the ORD-BOS flight on Thursday and our upgrades were both cleared. Then my cousin decided to join us this. She served in the military and just returned from IRAQ. We want to give her a surprise and get her upgraded as well. When I call the EXP desk, I was told that since I upgraded my wife already (she has no status), I am not able to upgrade my cousin by using the stickers. She said I can use my EVIP but I think it's just a waste for an EVIP upgrade on ORD-BOS.

Does it worth a try to talk to the AAngels or gate agents? I know AA is very nice to military personnel. Now what I am thinking is just to give my seat to my cousin so that she can sit with my wife in the F class. Do I need to inform anyone doing this?
Never hurts to talk to the AC or the GA. As I understand it, AA's policy of upgrading military covers those in uniform traveling between the U.S. and Iraq/Afghanistan on orders, not those recently returned from those places. As stated by others, you should have no problem switching places, just tell the flight attendants what you are doing and why. There is no switching during the flight, you have to switch for the entire flight.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if she is still in the military, ask her to forget mufti & wear her uniform even if not on travel orders.....

i assume a mi + $ ug isn't a cost effective alternative.....plus it would lower your chances w/stickers...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Yes, this can be done, but only by the good graces of the agent. I was on a business trip to FL with a co-worker and I upgraded our return with stickers. His wife decided to join us and fly back together. I explained the situation to the GA and that I didn't want to give up my seat and I did not want to be responsible for separating them. Fortunately her supervisor was next to her and he heard the story and gave her a nod to go ahead. Not only were they upgraded to DFW where we parted ways, but all the way to their destination (it was a direct flight for them)!

This cemented my belief in the theory you get more with honey than vinegar.

Good luck and I hope it works for you!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
although there's hope I would remind OP that it's christmas travel, if you can't get the request in now chance get the upgrade at gate may not be high even GA is nice enough to add her.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
If it were my cousin that I cared about as it sounds like you care about yours, I would use a SWU (yes, really, based on the number I have left at the moment) or miles to upgrade her.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

So my question is, is there a cost effective way to do this? Does it worth a try to talk to the AAngels or gate agents? I know AA is very nice to military personnel. Now what I am thinking is just to give my seat to my cousin so that she can sit with my wife in the F class. Do I need to inform anyone doing this?

Thanks a lot for your responses.
Thank you all for your suggestions. I guess I will try to ask the AAngels first. There are still 6 F seats available.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
You could also try for a LFBU upgrade at the kiosk. For ORD_BOS, that should be pretty affordable.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
You could also try for a LFBU upgrade at the kiosk. For ORD_BOS, that should be pretty affordable.
For ORD-BOS nonstop, it should be $90.

Last edited by gemac; Dec 20, 2011 at 10:47 am
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:20 am

Miles + copay (15K miles + $75) seems like the best alternative IMO.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:38 am
Original Poster

The gate agent was nice to put my cousin on the upgrade list. But she was at the bottom of the list so didn't make it. I gave my seat to her and got an exit row window seat for myself - which is not bad for a 2 hour flight.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The gate agent was nice to put my cousin on the upgrade list. But she was at the bottom of the list so didn't make it. I gave my seat to her and got an exit row window seat for myself - which is not bad for a 2 hour flight.
The important thing for your cousin is that she is back, is safe, and is with family for the holidays. Glad you gave her your upgrade, that was nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.