Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Destination: Waterloo/Kitchener, Ontario (YKF)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
New Destination: Waterloo/Kitchener, Ontario (YKF)

New twice-daily Chicago-Kitchener service starts June 14 with Eagle RJs.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americ...16484.html?x=0
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: 0.4MM
Looks like it still doesn't have US Customs Preclearance, so you'll arrive on the international side in Chicago (unlike arrivals from, say, Toronto).
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Interesting..... Did AA get some free money or something out of this? If anyone was going to start this route it would United.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Kitchener is only an hour from YYZ. I would have expected somewhere farther afield. But still, this may be useful for people from Hamilton or London. T5 arrival is a pain though.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As someone who does a fair bit of business with a rather large multinational wireless telecoms company headquartered in Waterloo, I won't mind a bit having an option to avoid YYZ that isn't BUF...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn
Interesting..... Did AA get some free money or something out of this? If anyone was going to start this route it would United.
I wouldn't be shocked if Research In Motion is guaranteeing revenue on this route.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Still waiting for YXU (London), although I know it's unlikely with UA flying ORD-YXU (I think it's the only U.S. based carrier that flies to YXU since DL discontinued DTW-YXU).
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
I wouldn't be shocked if Research In Motion is guaranteeing revenue on this route.
Don't think they're earning enough to guarantee anything right now.

But KW has a strong knowledge/ service-based economy with significant insurance and high-tech sectors and two universities, a third within a 20 min drive and a large College. There's Sun Life Financial, the University of Waterloo, Manulife Financial, Research In Motion, Sandvine and Wilfrid Laurier University-all big KW employers.
There's the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics (thanks to Stephen Hawking), the Institute for Quantum Computing, CIGI Centre for International Governance Innovation, Dalsa, Descartes Systems Group,Maplesoft, MKS Inc, Open Text , RIM,Sandvine, Sybase, Google, Oracle, Intel, McAfee, NCR Corporation, Electronic Arts and Agfa. It's rumoured that Facebook is looking to have an office in KW in the near future.

Starting late Dec there will be "GO" train service from Kitchener to downtown Toronto.

I thought I did hear that there was some sort of subsidy/fee reduction from the Airport/region until American Eagle gets established?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by mom_rules
Perhaps not enough to literally guarantee revenue, but there are still thousands of RIM employees in the area, and many people that do business with RIM find themselves in the area rather frequently.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis First
Great news, now I can get to Waterloo on AA rather than flying UA to London in order to avoid YYZ and trafffic on the 401.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 5:59 pm

That's great AA. If I you could just fly to places like Boston now...
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
As someone who does a fair bit of business with a rather large multinational wireless telecoms company headquartered in Waterloo, I won't mind a bit having an option to avoid YYZ that isn't BUF...
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Telecom delivers the service, not the phone. A telecom company would be Sprint for example.
IMO ORD is even worse than YYZ, but it charges .02 less AIF.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mom_rules
I agree with RIM losing a bit of income, but even companies that are losing money have to spend money for business. Look at AA for example. AA is losing money, but still spends money on business needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.