Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

Some have expiring or other SWUs (née "VIPs", "eVIPs", "VIPOW", etc.) they wish to gift to other FlyerTalkers. Normally, these should be offered in The Coupon Connection.

This thread is NOT for requesting SWUs; all such posts will be deleted.

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

What to do with unused / expiring / leftover eVIPs / SWUs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by laxconnorw
Weird question coming from an alleged EXP.
Weird reply given the others that have already addressed this.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Weird reply given the others that have already addressed this.
Seriously. It's like I'm watching the opening credits to Star Trek TOS repeatedly and keep hearing that whooshing sound as the Enterprise sweeps across the screen.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
I have given them out as gifts to friends and family.

Back when I was doing chemo and not flying as much gave a pair out in a contest here in the aadvantage forum. Pretty much all you had to do to be eligible to win was post in a certain thread. Seems another moderator is doing that currently in a similar thread.

In all my years have never seen an unused one. What do they look like?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
Originally Posted by DGS822
Does anybody else have experience handing them out at the airport? Is it just me, or does that seem like a tough gig to pull off?
Not so tough - it's a matter of how much time you have at the airport. I've done it 3 times - all where I had at least a few hours before my flight left. 2 of the times I was in transit and I walked to a gate where people were waiting for a ZRH flight - did a quick ask at the desk if there was space in C available - answer yes.... the rest too about 15 min to do.... if there's a difficult part it's letting someone know you don't want a thing, and you need their record locator - but telling them they can stand next to you while you make the call reduced any hesitation. The other time was a lax/lhr flight that I knew had seats in C - it was easy.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you fly AA enough, you may notice expired SWUs are being used to upgrade non-revs. How else do you explain their seats in F while elites from the upgrade list sit in coach?

Disabling instigation mode.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by tobyh
Sorry, I don't understand the question. What's an unused eVIP or SWU?
Originally Posted by phillyjoe
When you get EXP status or reach levels of 2MM, 3MM, etc., you are given 4 or 8 Executive VIP upgrades (eVIP) or System wide upgrades (swu.).......
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Whoosh.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
From my experience trying to score sticker upgrades on domestic routes in February, I'm going to guess that most folks burn them on domestic routes in February before they expire.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by magic111
I have given them out as gifts to friends and family.

Back when I was doing chemo and not flying as much gave a pair out in a contest here in the aadvantage forum. Pretty much all you had to do to be eligible to win was post in a certain thread. Seems another moderator is doing that currently in a similar thread.

In all my years have never seen an unused one. What do they look like?
I won in that thread two years ago and used them on a Dfw-Lhr-Dfw trip. It my first time in Business class and I cleared a few days before departure as a Plat at the time. I had a great time on that trip. Thanks again Magic111!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Back in the day when these were hard copy I had one year where i had a bunch of certificates at the end of the year. However I wouldn't say they were unused- in fact some may have been used twice.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
Whoosh.
Well, I suspect he knows the what. The real question, I still haven't been able to answer for myself, is the why.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
Couldn't reach tobyh by PM

Dear tobyh,

Sorry I didn't catch your humor. I use this board as a way to unwind at the end of the day. I guess I had already used up my quota of ha-ha at the end of a long day. Sort of like being #1 on the upgrade list and not clearing.

Have a great (and safe) Christmas, Hanukkah, Solstice, or however you honor the end of the year. May your soft landings match your takeoffs.

Sincerely,
PhillyJoe
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, AA ExecPlat
EVIPS

Is it against terms and conditions or will I get in bad terms with AA if I gave my E VIPs away on Flyertalk before the end of the year. I feel it's a waste that I still have 6 left. I rarely use them because I fly first class.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
They expire at the end of February. Also, you are allowed to gift them.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Exp/1M, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Pre Plat
I gift them all the time, makes great birthday, wedding, and what the heck let me upgrade you gifts.... get in touch with some christmas cheer and give them away.... you friends will love you for it! or complete strangers will love you for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.