Alec Baldwin apparently kicked off AA flight at LAX

Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
AA responded:

https://www.facebook.com/aa/posts/10150397380436078
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm a bit confused. TV news is saying that the incident occurred at the gate. Does AA not allow cell phones, etc. to be used while the aircraft door is open? I am assuming that the device he was using was more like an iPhone than a laptop.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by Niomi
That's the first thing I thought too. Wonder if we could find any proof that this was the case?
Well, unless you're the accountant who wrote the check to AB, I don't think it will come out. Zynga.com and AB knew that he would get kicked off for keeping a mobile device on and they even told him what to tweet to make it sound as if he was actually intelligent enough to play.

His actual tweet:
"Flight attendant on American reamed me out 4 playing WORDS W FRIENDS while we sat at the gate, not moving."
So we're supposed to believe that he even decided to capitalize the name of the game? Not believing a word of it until the person he was "playing" with comes on and says what word he was playing.

The funny thing is that the con worked a dream.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
an entitled celebrity? Who would have thunk it.

Edit: would be funny if AA blacklisted him.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by LAXgt
There are very few times when a person gets kick off a plane and of course the media is all of it because it involves a celebrity.
or a family with kids.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Setting aside whether cells phones are or are not dangerous to instrumentation, most of us fly enough to know when the seat belt sign comes on and the chime with it the flight is about ten minutes from departure. I am the only one that can knows its time to wrap up my text (or call although I hate calling) or Internet activity and power down the device.

If you are such an important person that you simply must remain on that call then its time for you to fly private where you will not be holding anyone up.
+1 ^ Why go to United, Mr. Baldwin? FAA rules are FAA rules, no matter which airline's seat you're sitting in.

Kudos to AA on their actions on this one. Judging from the note they just posted on Facebook, it seems they acted correctly and professionally. Mr. Baldwin, it seems, did not.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm a bit confused. TV news is saying that the incident occurred at the gate. Does AA not allow cell phones, etc. to be used while the aircraft door is open? I am assuming that the device he was using was more like an iPhone than a laptop.
AA's response pretty much clears up everything.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
It is not the job if the FA to make up the rules, just enforce them. They are told by the FAA that is the rule. They have no choice!

He probably mouthed off to the FA.

I saw this on a flight recently. A person OBVIOUSLY had the phone on and in her hand. The FA said 'turn it off'. The passenger reported the switch was broken and couldn't the FA told her to take the battery out. The passenger refused. We took off with it on. They were not friendly to each other all flight.

All cabin crew should enforce it or ignore it! Not make it up as they do along. Again, I am sure he got mouthy and ticked the FA off.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
I -LOVE- AA's response on Facebook.

When Maya held an open forum on Milepoint, I asked if AA would truly engage in social media (Facebook, Twitter, frequent flyer boards) like other airlines had been doing (because, let's face it... they hadn't been at the time. The posts used to be 1-way "PR" messages). Today's response on Facebook is exactly what I had in mind - an ENGAGED airline, communicating with its passengers (and followers). Not only do I like the method of response, but I like the content as well.

WELL DONE, AA! ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by FLgrr
He probably mouthed off to the FA.
Yes, he did. Read HERE.

Originally Posted by miamigrad
I -LOVE- AA's response on Facebook.

When Maya held an open forum on Milepoint, I asked if AA would truly engage in social media (Facebook, Twitter, frequent flyer boards) like other airlines had been doing (because, let's face it... they hadn't been at the time. The posts used to be 1-way "PR" messages). Today's response on Facebook is exactly what I had in mind - an ENGAGED airline, communicating with its passengers (and followers). Not only do I like the method of response, but I like the content as well.

WELL DONE, AA! ^
+1 ^ I was very happy to see them getting "social" with this and also not being shy in defending their actions from this well-known individual.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:07 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Since AA has responded publicly, I think it's fine to post the full contents here for those who may not access it:

Originally Posted by AA on Facebook

Since an extremely vocal customer has publicly identified himself as being removed from an American Airlines flight on Tuesday, Dec. 6, we have elected to provide the actual facts of the matter as well as the FAA regulations which American, and all airlines, must enforce. Cell phones and electronic devices are allowed to be used while the aircraft is at the gate and the door is open for boarding. When the door is closed for departure and the seat belt light is turned on, all cell phones and electronic devices must be turned off for taxi-out and take-off. This passenger declined to turn off his cell phone when asked to do so at the appropriate time. The passenger ultimately stood up (with the seat belt light still on for departure) and took his phone into the plane’s lavatory. He slammed the lavatory door so hard, the cockpit crew heard it and became alarmed, even with the cockpit door closed and locked. They immediately contacted the cabin crew to check on the situation. The passenger was extremely rude to the crew, calling them inappropriate names and using offensive language. Given the facts above, the passenger was removed from the flight and denied boarding.
Not an approach to addressing such an issue that I've seen before, but the response certainly seems to be positive - maybe they are getting the hang of this social media thing...
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think one thing about the electronic rules issue is that an expensive and extensive permitting process would have to occur and that is not likely to happen unless the airlines will be assured they will make a lot of money and the process will pay for itself and generate profit.

Also, the aviation regulating industry (FAA, etc.) are quite conservative - not that many years ago, and iirc Swissair claimed they had proof of signals interference, all sorts of CD players were banned from being turned on in flight. It may be the players of that day were "leaky" with significant IF generated that interfered with the old navaids, but the issue eventually went away.

In the end, AFAIK FAs are held accountable for enforcing the FARS and regulations applicable to electronics - and if an FAA inspector is aboard and they fail to enforce, they will be written up (see previous posts). skyladycan correct me if I am wrong, of course.
In a former life, I worked on interference and radio signal compatibility issues involving aircraft/avionics. There is a real threat, but the extent of the threat depends on the specific equipment installed and the quality of the wiring (antenna placement makes a difference, too). In most situations, the threat is minimal. But even between two similar aircraft from the same airline there may be issues in one and not the other.

IIRC, there are (still) compatibility issues between wifi (GoGo equipment) and certain EFIS units used in the cockpit.

At the time I was working on the issue, interference rejection standards were minimal. That's likely changed over the years, but the process is slow. Higher power "stuff" (e.g. cell phones/cell data) is much more likely to cause issues than low power "stuff" like wifi. In general aviation planes, there have been issues noted with cellphones interfering with GPS - heck, there were issues on some early GPS installations where the aircraft's own COM transmitters interfered with GPS.

You're correct that the FAA and RTCA are very conservative.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
From what I've read online, it appears that Mr. Baldwin was an uncooperative and deserved what he got.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
The drill is very simple: When told to turn off electronic devices, end your call, stop tapping on your Blackberry and stow your iPad. You don't get to adjust your compliance to how you were asked, how young or cute the FA is or how "urgent" your task is.
No, thanks. I certainly do get to decide, and I decide to stop using my device when I see fit.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CApreppie
From what I've read online, it appears that Mr. Baldwin was an uncooperative and deserved what he got.
Given his outbursts to the crew, I was surprised that he was rebooked on the next flight. Some airlines would impose a day-long ban to give the passenger time to cool off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.