Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alec Baldwin apparently kicked off AA flight at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
Take it from a non-Texan/non-<redacted>...they're not bad really...and they're actually pretty nice .
Yeah. I agree with this. I'm not a Texan, but the ones I've met have been very friendly, and very chatty.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 7, 2011 at 8:05 am Reason: redaction in quoted post
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
Ha! He should have gone all DYKWIA and started claiming that he was Juan Trippe.
or he could have just pointed to AA's own in flight entertainment... don't they play 30 rock! hahaha
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:06 am

Programs: DL Skymiles - Platinum
Originally Posted by nerd
Wow. This is the lead story on the NYC 10pm news.
I can't believe that no one gets this. I wonder how much zynga.com paid Baldwin to make sure he said he was playing Words with Friends? Come on.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by skylady
The FA didn't prove anything, the CA kicked him off after his temper tantrum.

If you want to take anything from this, nobody is above the rules.
I'm not ready to judge without all the facts. As I explained before there are also fas who are <redacted> on the plane. In my case, I needed 10 secs to say bye to my boss. They were literally just asking to turn off phones when she came with an attitude.
I understand people must turn off devices but there's a curteous way of asking and a bitter way... Most fas are curteous, but not all.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 7, 2011 at 7:28 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q88
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Setting aside whether cells phones are or are not dangerous to instrumentation, most of us fly enough to know when the seat belt sign comes on and the chime with it the flight is about ten minutes from departure. I am the only one that can knows its time to wrap up my text (or call although I hate calling) or Internet activity and power down the device.

If you are such an important person that you simply must remain on that call then its time for you to fly private where you will not be holding anyone up.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by PolandExpat
I can't believe that no one gets this. I wonder how much zynga.com paid Baldwin to make sure he said he was playing Words with Friends? Come on.
That's the first thing I thought too. Wonder if we could find any proof that this was the case?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Originally Posted by AAmlgm8r
The issue came to a head several years ago with the movie, "Tropic Thunder", which was protested by representatives of a coalition of disability-rights organizations across the nation.
You do realize they were making fun of the academy, not mentally disabled people, right?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:21 am
formerly gohima

Apparently Oscar De La Hoya was on the flight and claims Baldwin was angry

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...hoya-says.html
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think one thing about the electronic rules issue is that an expensive and extensive permitting process would have to occur and that is not likely to happen unless the airlines will be assured they will make a lot of money and the process will pay for itself and generate profit.

Also, the aviation regulating industry (FAA, etc.) are quite conservative - not that many years ago, and iirc Swissair claimed they had proof of signals interference, all sorts of CD players were banned from being turned on in flight. It may be the players of that day were "leaky" with significant IF generated that interfered with the old navaids, but the issue eventually went away.

In the end, AFAIK FAs are held accountable for enforcing the FARS and regulations applicable to electronics - and if an FAA inspector is aboard and they fail to enforce, they will be written up (see previous posts). skyladycan correct me if I am wrong, of course.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: Too many to list
+1 for Alec.
I have never seen any ruder staff than AA's. Having flown on many different airlines, AA is a Greyhound of airline biz. Love the gym teacher reference. ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Originally Posted by kebosabi
NY Times article seems to indicate that interference is actually possible. I'll take expert citations from Boeing engineers over two avionics geeks with time to kill on a parked learjet cited on previous pages...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/18/bu...ices.html?_r=1

Also, there is NO FAA rule that requires ANYTHING with cellphones. There is a rule that requires carriers to allow certain devices like hearing aids, pacemakers (obviously), etc..., and then to determine what else to allow. Then the FAA expects pax to comply with crew and company rules.

§ 121.306 Portable electronic devices.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any U.S.-registered civil aircraft operating under this part.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the part 119 certificate holder has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c) The determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that part 119 certificate holder operating the particular device to be used.

[Doc. No. FAA–1998–4954, 64 FR 1080, Jan. 7, 1999]

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
And I'll chuckle when they haul your butt off the plane as I give the FA an applause cert.
+1 I'll give the f/a a $50 also in addition to the APPLAUSE cert. Sick and tired of rude, self-important a**holes on airplanes. There are too many people who think the world revolves around them and the rest of us are just a backdrop for their pathetic lives. If you are THAT important and the "rules" that everyone else is asked to follow do not apply to you, go on a private jet, or walk.

Originally Posted by skylady
We also need to have customers that adhere to Company and Government policies, with out temper tantrums. Service/Safety is a very fine line. Should the employees allow you to do whatever you want, in the interest of service, or is there somewhere a line drawn?

How many times should we ask that you do XYZ, until you are now non-compliant? There are many things that make no sense to you, our beloved customers, during air travel. When should the FA look the other way, without fear of reprimand from the Co or FAA?

Please do not paint all employees of any company with such a broad brush.
+1 While there are some real horror shows walking the cabin in AA fa uniforms, this is not a foregone conclusion that Baldwin was treated badly by the crew.

Your rhetorical question is very appropriate, the FA should NEVER look the other way, because they are supposed to be professionals, also because there are safety issues associated.

Mr. Baldwin got some free publicity....As an AA EXP, I hope he goes to United and stays there....
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
Here's what we all should take away from this....

#1) Don't sit in a seat that FA can directly see you from the jump seat/galley. (That means never sit in row 1 in first class on most domestic flights. Even for first meal choice.)
#2) When instructed by the FA to put your device away. Say, yes ma'am and put your device in standby mode and hide it.
#3) Wait for AA FAs to go away, sit or hide in galley (they most often do). Bring out device.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT, Marriot Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
There are very few times when a person gets kick off a plane and of course the media is all of it because it involves a celebrity.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:33 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I kind of like the irony in that AA just built a special entrance at lax for Alec and his friends while at the same time not expecting that those types may not play exactly by the rules. On one hand AA is providing separate check in, screening and boarding and on the other yelling at him for not turning his game off fast enough by what is more likely than not an FA on a power trip.
My guess is Alec got a nice apology and whatever free stuff they give a guy like that.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by budgetingjew
Wrong. The rule is retarded, and I never once follow it. I will always use electronic devices until the take off roll. The logic is that I can use my electronic devices the second the landing roll is done.
This:

Originally Posted by Clipper110A
I'll give the f/a a $50 also in addition to the APPLAUSE cert. Sick and tired of rude, self-important a**holes on airplanes. There are too many people who think the world revolves around them and the rest of us are just a backdrop for their pathetic lives. If you are THAT important and the "rules" that everyone else is asked to follow do not apply to you, go on a private jet, or walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.