Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Catering in first for Denver to DFW?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

No Catering in first for Denver to DFW?

is this actually true?: Searching expert flier and aa.com. none of the flights from Denver to DFW have meals or even snacks, but going INTO Denver they do? First class AND coach. Bizarre.

Anyone flown this recently to know if this is correct? Found a Denver-Miami flight with food, but that was it.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, Hillton Gold, Marriot Silver, United 2P
I have always been served a meal in first. It is one of the shortest meal flights in the system. You might be out of the meal window, but I would guess in that case you'd still get warm nuts and a cookie.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Recently it has not been served. The flight time has gone under 2 hours was the explanation offered. I make the trip at least once a quarter.

Going to Denver is always above two hours, so it is always served.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There is a meal DFW/DEN but not on DEN/DFW, which is a little bizzare. Still, its relatively short flight with a block time of about two hours.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
none of the flights from Denver to DFW have meals or even snacks, but going INTO Denver they do? First class AND coach. Bizarre.

Anyone flown this recently to know if this is correct? Found a Denver-Miami flight with food, but that was it.
This typically has to do with catering arrangements. I seem to recall a thread popping up a while ago about DEN not having any catering beyond shelf-stable items, sodas and ice, although I may be "misremembering" that... If it is indeed due to local catering, it's possible the inbound aircraft serving the DEN-MIA flight is double-catered.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
It has always been one of the anomalous routes in the system, and documented in other threads previously.

Basically it doesn't make much sense even if it is under 2 hours, as DFW-COS (Colorado Springs) is blocked at 1:50 and served meals during the meal windows.

In my experience, the flight must be departing within a meal window in order to get a meal under 2 hours block time.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Microwave
This typically has to do with catering arrangements. I seem to recall a thread popping up a while ago about DEN not having any catering beyond shelf-stable items, sodas and ice, although I may be "misremembering" that... If it is indeed due to local catering, it's possible the inbound aircraft serving the DEN-MIA flight is double-catered.
DEN has no catering. Everything is doubled catered out of the hub. A few years back I was on a JFK/SFO flight that sat on the tarmac at JFK for three hours (before the stupid legislation) then flew around thunderstorms. The a/c made a fuel stop at DEN but could not be recatered with food. In any event, I called the EXP desk, got off and flew back to NYC through DFW.
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
There are several cases where eastbound vs. westbound flights have different levels of service based on the fact that the eastbound flights are shorter and have block times underneath a certain cut off.

For example, RDU-ORD has a meal westbound only. The eastbound flights have sub-two hour block times. The same is true with DEN-DFW and COS-DFW - meals westbound only.

ORD-LGA and ORD-BOS is another example. Eastbound gets continental breakfast and nothing between meal times. Westbound gets hot breakfast and snacks during non-meal times.
Suspended

Originally Posted by denCSA
It has always been one of the anomalous routes in the system, and documented in other threads previously.

Basically it doesn't make much sense even if it is under 2 hours, as DFW-COS (Colorado Springs) is blocked at 1:50 and served meals during the meal windows.

In my experience, the key that you're missing is that the flight must be departing within a meal window in order to get a meal under 2 hours block time.
But COS/DFW has no meal service.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by denCSA

In my experience, the flight must be departing within a meal window in order to get a meal under 2 hours block time.
There are a couple sub-two hour flights that have meal service: westbound DFW-COS, ORD-DCA, DCA-ORD, eastbound ORD-PHL and surprisingly DTW-LGA and LGA-DTW on American Eagle.

All but DFW-COS are for competitive reasons (even though DL doesn't serve meals on DTW-LGA, I guess Eagle is using it to siphon passengers from a heavy-DL route). I think DFW-COS westbound meal service is a vestige of better days. Who knows as I doubt there is much paid F traffic on that route.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
DEN has no catering.
I'm confused. Surely the Denver airport has some catering vendor - after all, it's a United hub.

I can understand AA not hiring a catering company in small spokes like IND or SDF, but it strikes me as beyond cheap to not load fresh food in large cities that may be AA spokes but are large hubs for other airlines.

I may not be remembering correctly, but wasn't there some nonsense a few years ago about AA not catering planes in San Diego because its preferred company shut down its SAN facility? When AA could have hired another company?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm confused. Surely the Denver airport has some catering vendor - after all, it's a United hub.

I can understand AA not hiring a catering company in small spokes like IND or SDF, but it strikes me as beyond cheap to not load fresh food in large cities that may be AA spokes but are large hubs for other airlines.

I may not be remembering correctly, but wasn't there some nonsense a few years ago about AA not catering planes in San Diego because its preferred company shut down its SAN facility? When AA could have hired another company?
Its more a function of whether food can be double-catered easily on flights that should get meal service (mealtime flights to LAX/ORD and all non-red-eye's to MIA). DEN-DFW fits in the category of many flights of just under 2 hours that went from meal to no meal a few years ago (see e.g. DFW-BNA, DFW-BHM, ATL-MIA, etc.).
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

I'd done a search and seen some OLD comments about no catering in Denver, but they were no sooner than 08 if I recall. The flights I checked were MD80s to DFW leaving at 6 and 7 o'clock hours.

thanks for everyone's input.

PS I guess the meals for Denver to MIA must be double catered coming in from somewhere else. It's a 737 vs. the MD80s to DFW
Old Dec 6, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
is this actually true?: Searching expert flier and aa.com. none of the flights from Denver to DFW have meals or even snacks, but going INTO Denver they do? First class AND coach. Bizarre.

I ran into this last time I flew to Denver and upgraded.

DFW <> DEN is over two hours and therefore a meal is served.

DEN <> DFW is under two hours and therefore a meal is not served.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by toast24
I ran into this last time I flew to Denver and upgraded.

DFW <> DEN is over two hours and therefore a meal is served.

DEN <> DFW is under two hours and therefore a meal is not served.
It's been that way for at least three years. Return flight is under 2hours and thus no food service. When you check the den-dfw leg in first on AA.com it won't indicate meal service, only a snack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.