Community
Wiki Posts
Search

using VIP on award ticket.. SUCCESS! (Or, was it an OpUp?)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:49 am
Original Poster

using VIP on award ticket.. SUCCESS! (Or, was it an OpUp?)

Had an anytime award in business class from JFK-LAX.. at gate saw business was full.. Asked to use a VIP ( have several extra ) and was told OK.. First time for everything I guess
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RTW4
Had an anytime award in business class from JFK-LAX.. at gate saw business was full.. Asked to use a VIP ( have several extra ) and was told OK.. First time for everything I guess
If business was oversold, that's a bit of a special situation. Somebody was going to get rolled forward, and you ensured it was you. The eVIP might not get deducted - they may have treated it as an op-up.

The title of this thread is somewhat misleading if this was an oversell situation.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
What flight/date?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The OP may have been in the right place at the exact right minute when the GA was trying to shift people around.

It may never happen to the same person again.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:46 am

How did you approach the GA RTW4? Did you say something like look I see that business is full, I'm on a mileage ticket but is there any chance of upgrading with an eVIP?

Last edited by 3544quebec; Nov 28, 2011 at 11:16 am
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: Various
IMO this is an exception and not a standard/rule. More likely the OP was Op Up-ed to F.

If we really want to know what happened, the FT member that has access to an airline employee's Jet Net or whatever site, can look up the PALL list to see; though I don't condone doing this (I just have the feeling he will check it)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
In January this year I upgraded a companion on an Anytime Award with an electronic upgrade. I knew that this was against policy but the flight was wide open in first so I figured it was worth the try. I called the EXP desk on my way to the airport and was told no, then at the check in counter I was again told I could not upgrade my companion, then decided one more shot at the admirals club and sure enough he was upgraded.

My original theory was that this was as op-up but the boarding pass showed X inventory and the stickers being deducted from my account made me wonder how the Admirals Club agent accomplished this.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Carlos019
In January this year I upgraded a companion on an Anytime Award with an electronic upgrade. I knew that this was against policy but the flight was wide open in first so I figured it was worth the try. I called the EXP desk on my way to the airport and was told no, then at the check in counter I was again told I could not upgrade my companion, then decided one more shot at the admirals club and sure enough he was upgraded.

My original theory was that this was as op-up but the boarding pass showed X inventory and the stickers being deducted from my account made me wonder how the Admirals Club agent accomplished this.
Even odder considering AAnytime Awards book into Y. I wonder how the system knew to deduct stickers rather than process it as a free upgrade?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Even odder considering AAnytime Awards book into Y. I wonder how the system knew to deduct stickers rather than process it as a free upgrade?
On further thought, it could have possibly been a mileage saver award (It was a last minute trip that one leg was anytime award and one leg was mileage saver but don't recall which one was which). In either case I did succesfully upgrade an award reservation electronically.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by RTW4
Asked to use a VIP ( have several extra ) and was told OK.. First time for everything I guess
Have you checked your account balance to see if one was actually deducted? As the use of a systemwide involves reissuing the ticket with a new ticket number, and a call to have it pulled, I'm wondering whether one was taken at all.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by Carlos019
FYI, I believe op-ups BP's say X inventory on them. Two weeks ago I was on 2211 DFW->PDX; two family members on AAnytime tickets were with me. I didn't request an UG since I wanted to sit in the back with them. So I was surprised when the GA called all three of our names; we had all won the op-up lottery. The BP's said X inventory. Are you sure stickers were deducted?

Good thing, too. The flight was about an hour late boarding because we had to wait for the crew; then we sat for another hour due to a Ramp Hold due to thunderstorms. I told my wife and son how lucky they were to experience an upgrade on "free" tickets.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Most likely the GA simply looked quickly, saw that it was in J inventory and processed the upgrade as though it was paid J. Probably the same reason people have at times reported getting EQM/RDM on AAnytime award tickets.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by PDX-PLT
FYI, I believe op-ups BP's say X inventory on them. Two weeks ago I was on 2211 DFW->PDX; two family members on AAnytime tickets were with me. I didn't request an UG since I wanted to sit in the back with them. So I was surprised when the GA called all three of our names; we had all won the op-up lottery. The BP's said X inventory. Are you sure stickers were deducted?

Good thing, too. The flight was about an hour late boarding because we had to wait for the crew; then we sat for another hour due to a Ramp Hold due to thunderstorms. I told my wife and son how lucky they were to experience an upgrade on "free" tickets.
Glad to hear a nice story about a GA going out of their way like this! Yes, I am 100% certain stickers were deducted from my account.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Also, I have to ask: When the GA said that the J to F upgrade was available, why didn't you see if Z inventory was also showing and then see if reservations could convert your AAnytime J award into a sAAver F award at 32.5k vs. 50k + a SWU for the same seat? Or was this part of a larger itinerary?
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
similar happened....

I recently upgraded two friends using miles (mine) and $ (mine) - on a flight I wasn't on. I noticed tonight that one of their tickets was an award - and yet the miles and money upgraded him..... Is this new - have I simply never noticed this (as I rarely use Miles and $ for upgrades).....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.