FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Does AA ever offer children's discount on airfare? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1282269-does-aa-ever-offer-childrens-discount-airfare.html)

phil_flyer Nov 19, 2011 2:51 pm

Does AA ever offer children's discount on airfare?

The web site makes me enter ages and such for my kids when booking, but I have yet to find a ticket discount for any of their fares. They are between 4 and 7.

Are these discounts not offered, or just not on international routes, or do I just have bad luck?

clacko Nov 19, 2011 2:58 pm

under 2 can go as a lap child....

i haven't heard of anything else....

FWAAA Nov 19, 2011 3:00 pm

On international fares where discounts are offered for children, you must call AA to book them (I think there's something on aa.com advising of this). Can't be done online.

ossipago Nov 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Yeah, I don't see why they would ... children take up a full seat just like anyone else, right?

nall Nov 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ossipago (Post 17481744)
Yeah, I don't see why they would ... children take up a full seat just like anyone else, right?

Well the lighter the load, the less fuel must be burnt :)

vasantn Nov 19, 2011 4:08 pm

Some child fares are indeed discounted, but not by much. I've only seen this on international itineraries.

ossipago Nov 19, 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 17482045)
Some child fares are indeed discounted, but not by much. I've only seen this on international itineraries.

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks. I assume that these discounts are only ever for coach, never J or F ... for obvious reasons.

FWAAA Nov 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ossipago (Post 17482066)
I wasn't aware of this. Thanks. I assume that these discounts are only ever for coach, never J or F ... for obvious reasons.

Wrong again. AA routinely discounts premium cabin fares for children. For example, here's the child discount language from the fare rules for full F LAX-LHR:

CNN/ACCOMPANIED CHILD PSGR 2-11 - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF
THE FARE.
TICKETING CODE - BASE FARE CODE PLUS CH.
MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN THE SAME
COMPARTMENT BY ADULT PSGR 12 OR OLDER.
OR - INS/INFANT WITH A SEAT PSGR UNDER 2 - CHARGE 75
PERCENT OF THE FARE.
TICKETING CODE - BASE FARE CODE PLUS CH.
MUST BE ACCOMPANIED ON ALL FLIGHTS IN THE SAME
COMPARTMENT BY ADULT PSGR 12 OR OLDER.
As I posted above in post #3, child discounts are not available on aa.com; to buy discounted child fares, you must call AA.

vasantn Nov 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 17482271)
As I posted above in post #3, child discounts are not available on aa.com; to buy discounted child fares, you must call AA.

I hesitate to correct you because you are hardly ever wrong, but I have been able to get child discounts to price out on aa.com. I do have to remind the agents to apply them while ticketing.

FWAAA Nov 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn (Post 17482375)
I hesitate to correct you because you are hardly ever wrong, but I have been able to get child discounts to price out on aa.com. I do have to remind the agents to apply them while ticketing.

You're right - I stand corrected. Child discounts can be found and booked on aa.com.

phil_flyer Nov 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Is there any way to zero in on these other than manually searching routes/times?

Fly2LAX Nov 19, 2011 9:00 pm

The european carriers offer these routinely. You might want to check with BA as well in case you would like oneWorld miles!

Keith Flyer Maven Nov 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Lil KFM has been on almost 50 flights and I've not once been offered a reduced coach price. On which routes do these appear?

vasantn Nov 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by phil_flyer (Post 17483222)
Is there any way to zero in on these other than manually searching routes/times?

Not to my knowledge. I'm always pleasantly surprised when one pops up.

Originally Posted by Keith Flyer Maven (Post 17483371)
Lil KFM has been on almost 50 flights and I've not once been offered a reduced coach price. On which routes do these appear?

I've never seen one on a domestic flight. They are fairly common to Brazil and I have also occasionally seen them to Europe and even to India. I just ran a test for random pair of dates to Brazil:

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/a...dDiscounts.jpg

Not quite as insignificant as I remembered; around 20% less in this case.

buyjalapenos Nov 20, 2011 9:23 am

Originally Posted by phil_flyer (Post 17481647)
The web site makes me enter ages and such for my kids when booking, but I have yet to find a ticket discount for any of their fares. They are between 4 and 7.

Are these discounts not offered, or just not on international routes, or do I just have bad luck?

Please explain to me why there should be a discount when the child is taking up the same seat as an adult?:confused::confused::confused:

Under 2, you can have your child on your lap (at considerable danger) to save money.@:-)