New AA.COM Change/view seats issue

Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

New AA.COM Change/view seats issue

FYI
With the new AA.COM they have added a new feature. If you have a HOLD reservation and you select purchase you no longer can change/view seats in your record locator between the purchase time, until ticketed. Once ticketed the change seats capability is available, again.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by zman
FYI
With the new AA.COM they have added a new feature. If you have a HOLD reservation and you select purchase you no longer can change/view seats in your record locator between the purchase time, until ticketed. Once ticketed the change seats capability is available, again.
Not just for a held reservation. I had this happen earlier this week when I went right from selecting flights to purchasing but skipped seat selection. I then went back but it wouldn't let me select until after ticketing. I wonder if it's a temporary glitch or something here to stay?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
They also took away the VIEW link for flights (to see what meals are offered in F, J, etc), but DID add the Fare Rules link for "after the creation" info access! ^ Sadly, it only seems to include the penalties, when it works....
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Is this really an issue? It took a whole 3 minutes to ticket my flights and I just selected my seats beforehand. Even if I didn't, I couldn't imagine this would be a problem.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
Is this really an issue? It took a whole 3 minutes to ticket my flights and I just selected my seats beforehand. Even if I didn't, I couldn't imagine this would be a problem.
On a flight I just booked which included codeshares, it took a few hours before it showed as "ticketed" and I could select seats. Even so, the likelihood that your favorite seat will be snatched away in that few hours is pretty low.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
It frequently takes DAYS to ticket international flights, especially when there are complicating factors such as OAL connections, VIP upgrades, and the like.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
It frequently takes DAYS to ticket international flights, especially when there are complicating factors such as OAL connections, VIP upgrades, and the like.
I have never had that issue. I've used VIPs before ticketing with no problem. I do not know what an oal connection is. I have flown with multiple partners and most of the time couldn't select anyways due to no locator or the carriers rules. So I'm not too worried. If there is a specific example, please post here.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:19 pm

[QUOTE=Flyer_70;17478538]I do not know what an oal connection is. /QUOTE]

Other AirLine, I presume
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=Upgraded!;17478555]
I do not know what an oal connection is. /QUOTE]

Other AirLine, I presume
Thanks. Regardless, I've not had an issue with this. Perhaps an example from op would help.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
There still seems to be a "view seats" choice on the main page.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
[QUOTE=Flyer_70;17478609]
Originally Posted by Upgraded!

Thanks. Regardless, I've not had an issue with this. Perhaps an example from op would help.
I'm not sure what example you would be looking for, but I've never had an international itinerary ticketed within minutes of purchase. Sometimes hours, other times a day or two. This just happened a couple of days ago with LGA-DFW-GRU-POA and also yesterday with JFK-LHR-HEL.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Workaround

This new behavior can be particularly frustrating when the reservation is delayed in ticketing for a few days as in my current situation where I am mailing in a voucher. However, all is not lost. You can still change seats with the following workaround...

1. Pull up the reservation of interest in your browser.

2. Paste the following URL into your browser address bar:
Code:
https://www.aa.com/seatmap/selectSeatAccess.do?flightNumber=AAAA&originAirport=XXX&destinationAirport=YYY&departureMonth=MM&departureDay=DD
Replacing

AAAA: flight number of first flight on AA metal
XXX: origin airport of above flight
YYY: destination airport of above flight
MM: month of above flight
DD: date (day of month) of first flight

(note that the above are not sensitive to the number of digits so date can be "4" instead of "04" and flight can be "78" instead of "0078"; nor are the airport codes case sensitive)

3. Hit Go to/Enter

Last edited by beerup; Nov 22, 2011 at 11:24 am
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:38 am

[QUOTE=vasantn;17480138]
I'm not sure what example you would be looking for, but I've never had an international itinerary ticketed within minutes of purchase. Sometimes hours, other times a day or two. This just happened a couple of days ago with LGA-DFW-GRU-POA and also yesterday with JFK-LHR-HEL.
Just an FYI, something screwy was happening with the quotes above; that piece wasn't my quote...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Just an FYI, something screwy was happening with the quotes above; that piece wasn't my quote...

Not my quote either. Things appear to be a bit goofy. think a [/QUOTE] got deleted somewhere upstream.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:11 pm

It's clearly not the end of the world, but why take away a feature that people use and is important to at least some of the customers? Was there a hidden cost to AA? I just waited 6 days for tickets purchased partially with AA gift cards to be ticketed. Seems silly to have to call and tie up the AA agents with reassigning seats when exit row seats became available; I would have been happier doing it myself.

(And thanks beerup for the work-around!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.