Release of A Inventory - Miles Copay

Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Release of A Inventory - Miles Copay

I am flying MIA-LAX on December 22 with my fiance (AA Flt # 277). We are booked in seats 21 a/b (best coach seats on plane) and are both already on the sticker upgrade list. I just got an alert from expert flyer that 1 seat of A (miles copay) inventory opened up. I am debating if i should take the single and hope another single opens up for my fiance or just hold out for 2 A upgrades to be released. If that fails i can hope a sticker upgrade clears later on. How does AA usually release the A inventory?

There are currently 10 seats open in first (NGBC)... what say you flyertalk?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:41 am

i personally would call AA and have the PNR split and grab the 1 seat. the nice agent might even offer to send the PNR to Rev mgmt to open another A seat (ask them) given you are completing a party of 2.

if not, just set up another alert and i'll bet it will clear. But grab what you can.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree. Split the PNR and grab the upgrade for HER. You do risk being split up (her in F and you in Y, or you both in F but not seated next to each other). However, the chances of you both being in F are increased. I would also continue to watch for another A seat opening up, as your chances for a sticker upgrade on that flight are probably pretty low.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stripe
I agree. Split the PNR and grab the upgrade for HER. You do risk being split up (her in F and you in Y, or you both in F but not seated next to each other). However, the chances of you both being in F are increased. I would also continue to watch for another A seat opening up, as your chances for a sticker upgrade on that flight are probably pretty low.
Why does it have to be for HER?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by budgetingjew
Because the fiance may not have status and we know the OP is Platinum.

Yes, the fiance might be a HIM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:17 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by budgetingjew
Because the OP is AA Plat and has a better upgrade chance than her if left to the last minute by upgrade priority and not withstanding any other ideas on who or why.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

I tried getting insight from the plat desk as to how A inventory gets released and the timing but they wouldn't tell me anything. Is A typically released as flight date gets closer? How do they decide if they will release A inventory (miles/copay) vs sticker inventory.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

PS. Thanks for all the responses. I love this site!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jayentee
PS. Thanks for all the responses. I love this site!
Whatever you do, heed the advice: if you grab one upgrade seat from A inventory (miles, cert, etc), make certain that the lower-status passenger is assigned the upgrade, to maximize the chances that the other passenger is eventually upgraded.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
I tried getting insight from the plat desk as to how A inventory gets released and the timing but they wouldn't tell me anything. Is A typically released as flight date gets closer? How do they decide if they will release A inventory (miles/copay) vs sticker inventory.
If we knew the answers to these propriatory questions we all would have 100% upgrade records.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I tried getting insight from the plat desk as to how A inventory gets released and the timing but they wouldn't tell me anything. Is A typically released as flight date gets closer?
That has been the case on most flights that I have been tracking, as long as there is still available inventory and RM doesn't not believe they will sell the seats.
EF is a great tool in this case, as it lets you set up an alert and will then email you when A inventory is (released and) available.
Agree with the recommendation to split the PNR and grab that one A seat (for your fiancé or fiancée) now.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

777Lover, you are the BEST!!!! I did exactly what you said and they sent to revenue management. RM opened up another A fare seat and gave us both the upgrade!!!! Flyer talk rocks!!!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

777Lover, you are the BEST!!!! I did exactly what you said and they sent to revenue management. RM opened up another A fare seat and gave us both the upgrade!!!! Flyer talk rocks!!!
Excellent result. Three days before Christmas and you scored two upgrades - on a fairly difficult route any day of the year. Check the upgrade list on the monitors when you board - I'll bet it's very lengthy.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Great result! I didn't even know you could ask revenue management to consider doing this. I am so glad i asked FT. I have a very happy fiance!

Too bad i will end up 20,000 EQM short of ExPlat this year. I guess there is always 2012!!!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Too bad i will end up 20,000 EQM short of ExPlat this year. I guess there is always 2012!!!
That's nothing that a well-planned trip to HKG or SIN couldn't fix. You've got several weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.