Wiki Posts
Search

Employees Moving to Empty F Seats After Departure

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Employees Moving to Empty F Seats After Departure

A recently closed thread got me thinking about this- I am honestly not trying to start a flame war but rather just want a yes/no type answer.

If there are empty seats in F and the door closes, are employees allowed to move up and take those seats?

There are many threads about F going empty without the agent failing to process the upgrade list, leaving potential EXPs etc in Y. Based on how I understand it, it is entirely up to the GA to handle all upgrades. Once the door is closed, the FAs are not allowed to move customers up. Does this apply to employees as well (regardless of if the upgrade list was empty or not) or do they have the power to make their own decisions after the door closes?

For example I know some employment contracts allow pilots/FA's when deadheading to sit in a premium cabin. But isn't this the same as elite benefits saying you can upgrade when there is space available? What if there is available space but the GA leaves you in Y- the customer has no recourse onboard, and they sit in Y. Is it different for employees or is it also up to the GA to process this "upgrade" so to speak.

Again, not trying to start a big flame war about whether or not employees deserve to sit in F but rather just want to know what proper protocol is.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: DL (Diamond), HHonors (Silver)
AA charges a higher service charge to non-revs for first class travel. So unless it's a processed/official upgrade, they shouldn't just be moving up of their own accord.

Originally Posted by daron4000
A recently closed thread got me thinking about this- I am honestly not trying to start a flame war but rather just want a yes/no type answer.

If there are empty seats in F and the door closes, are employees allowed to move up and take those seats?

There are many threads about F going empty without the agent failing to process the upgrade list, leaving potential EXPs etc in Y. Based on how I understand it, it is entirely up to the GA to handle all upgrades. Once the door is closed, the FAs are not allowed to move customers up. Does this apply to employees as well (regardless of if the upgrade list was empty or not) or do they have the power to make their own decisions after the door closes?

For example I know some employment contracts allow pilots/FA's when deadheading to sit in a premium cabin. But isn't this the same as elite benefits saying you can upgrade when there is space available? What if there is available space but the GA leaves you in Y- the customer has no recourse onboard, and they sit in Y. Is it different for employees or is it also up to the GA to process this "upgrade" so to speak.

Again, not trying to start a big flame war about whether or not employees deserve to sit in F but rather just want to know what proper protocol is.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ExAAerOnDL
AA charges a higher service charge to non-revs for first class travel. So unless it's a processed/official upgrade, they shouldn't just be moving up of their own accord.
That is correct. F is substantially more than Y for non-rev's to the tune of a few hundred dollars on long-haul routes (on three-class F>J>Y). The fees are also higher for lesser non-rev's (e.g. a FA traveling as a D2 pays less than one of their authorized D3 passholders).

In no circumstance is an FA supposed to process an on board upgrade of any type.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
So onto the next question- if a plane pushes back and there's an empty F seat next to me and an employee tries to move up and take it, can I tell him no?

Perhaps having spent 4 months in Asia where premium cabins are treated as such my perspective is skewed but here it would be unfathomable for an employee to move to an empty F seat after pushback. However, I have some suspicion that if this were to happen in the US you could somehow get in trouble for interfering with crew duties. But I just have a problem with a double standard- if pax can't rightfully upgrade after pushback, why should employees be allowed to do so.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP CONKEY, HYATT GLOB, SPG PLAT
I have seen this many times lately. but it is mostly uniformed employees that take their seat in Y, and get the "knowing" nod from the FA. The employee grabs their stuff and moves up to the empty seat. Frustrating.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mrowl
I have seen this many times lately. but it is mostly uniformed employees that take their seat in Y, and get the "knowing" nod from the FA. The employee grabs their stuff and moves up to the empty seat. Frustrating.
Interesting first post! Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I have seen this more prominently in the last year or so than I have previously. Makes you wonder if there is some sort of recent concerted lax in rule enforcement.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:24 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
...., not trying to start a big flame war about whether or not employees deserve to sit in F but rather just want to know what proper protocol is.
So onto the next question- if a plane pushes back and there's an empty F seat next to me and an employee tries to move up and take it, can I tell him no?

As the yes or no answer has been given to the OP we will now close this thread.

Once again not sure what this has to do with flying AA, aadvantage miles or in that case any airline specifically.

Please feel free to ask the general question within the TravelBuzz forum if more information on other airlines is desired.

~moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.