Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2012-13 AA "Soft Landing" / Status Downgrade: discussion & experiences (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

NOTE: AA has announced there will be NO SOFT LANDING in 2014. Those lacking sufficient EQM/EQP/EQS to make status 1 mar 2014 will not "fall" one status level; they will "fall" to whatever level they actually earned flying in C/Y 2013. Link.

AAdvantage status "soft landing" is the experience of dropping only one status level when one has not flown sufficiently to maintain current level, or even retain a lower level, of status. Through status year ending 28 Feb 2013, EXP only "fell" to Platinum, Platinum to Gold (and Gold to white card / no status) regardless of how the status was originally earned, the next status year.

~American AAdvantage Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

2012-13 AA "Soft Landing" / Status Downgrade: discussion & experiences (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by LookingAhead
Did you register for AATHX for the double elite (if already elite) and double bonus miles for flights from Nov. 1 through Dec. 31? If not, you could conceivably be closer to Gold or be able to make it.
yes, forgot to mention that I had signed up. the trip on miles will put me a tad over with the double elite it will give me enough buffer as well.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by gmbaker33
If I am platinum now, and I don’t make gold, don’t I automatic go down one level to gold?
I believe this is the gist of your question, and I have therefore merged it into the consolidated thread on this topic.

~Moderator
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Were 2011 soft landings universal?

In another board I mentioned that three of my colleagues had been downgraded from EXP to Gold (I mistyped as Silver) when their company contact with AA expired at the end of 2009 and they had zero flights on AA in 2010. They'd all three already qualified for EXP for 2010, but had nothing for 2011 and were given Gold. That was soft, in a way, since they were entitled to nothing at all, but it was not the single tier downgrade mentioned here and elsewhere. BTW, all of these people are non-US members and have flown AA almost exclusively between their home country and the US.

Another poster accusing me of falsifying this story, insisting that the soft landings have been hardwired for all AAdvantage members.

Does anybody here have knowledge of:
1. Whether the soft landings were hard wired for all AAdvantage members or just residents of certain countries or otehr factors?
2. If soft landings were hard wired, how could the single year drop from EXP to Gold have happened?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
In another board I mentioned that three of my colleagues had been downgraded from EXP to Gold (I mistyped as Silver) when their company contact with AA expired at the end of 2009 and they had zero flights on AA in 2010. They'd all three already qualified for EXP for 2010, but had nothing for 2011 and were given Gold. That was soft, in a way, since they were entitled to nothing at all, but it was not the single tier downgrade mentioned here and elsewhere. BTW, all of these people are non-US members and have flown AA almost exclusively between their home country and the US.

Another poster accusing me of falsifying this story, insisting that the soft landings have been hardwired for all AAdvantage members.

Does anybody here have knowledge of:
1. Whether the soft landings were hard wired for all AAdvantage members or just residents of certain countries or otehr factors?
2. If soft landings were hard wired, how could the single year drop from EXP to Gold have happened?
This is just a guess, but going from EXP to zero is probably what triggered the two level drop. It would be unusual for any EXP to go to zero flights the next year ... not make PLT? Sure, maybe not even make GLD, but going to zero would be basically unheard of.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by jec6613
This is just a guess, but going from EXP to zero is probably what triggered the two level drop. It would be unusual for any EXP to go to zero flights the next year ... not make PLT? Sure, maybe not even make GLD, but going to zero would be basically unheard of.
Actually I did that myself one year when I lost a corporate discount on AA but retained it on DL, making AA roughly 50% more expensive on my typical routes at the time. I had more than 6mm miles on AAdvantage at the time so I retained Lifetime Platinum. Your explanation was what I assumed, even though a seemingly knowledgable person says that it was impossible to have dropped more than one tier a year.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Actually I did that myself one year when I lost a corporate discount on AA but retained it on DL, making AA roughly 50% more expensive on my typical routes at the time. I had more than 6mm miles on AAdvantage at the time so I retained Lifetime Platinum. Your explanation was what I assumed, even though a seemingly knowledgable person says that it was impossible to have dropped more than one tier a year.
As soft landings are not an official benefit of AAdvantage nothing is impossible. AA can do what they like when they like so I'd suggest that this 'knowledgeable person' is incorrect.

ETA: I've just seen who the 'knowledgeable person' is and he is often right...but he's not infallible

On a separate note, it has been reported on another board that the soft landings are going away. This apparently comes from a phone conversation with an AA CS agent.

Last edited by Stripy; Jan 19, 2013 at 8:04 am
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
A friend of mine who has been EXP for ten years didn't fly as much last year (65,000 miles by his recollection). He was shocked to receive EXP status for this year and chalked it up to his long term relationship with AA.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
How many points did he have, though? Was he doing any paid flights in first or business, or full fare coach. Any other factors in play?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We do have some posts claiming members have received EXP renewal without making the actual required numbers.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by RealFan
A friend of mine who has been EXP for ten years didn't fly as much last year (65,000 miles by his recollection). He was shocked to receive EXP status for this year and chalked it up to his long term relationship with AA.
How did your friend find out that he received EXP status for this year? I did not reach the requalification requirements last year, but I have yet to receive my 2013 credentials (which will presumably be 2013 PLT credentials).
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
I had EXP through the UA status match and will lose that status - either soft landing or no status if they don't offer it. I do have a flight currently booked in March - will my EXP status still reflect on that reservation for the purpose of upgrading, retaining exit row seat (if no soft landing), etc?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
Is soft landing gone or am I being schnookered?

I am EXP now and will not make even fly enough to make PLT this year. I thought I would soft land to PLT anyway but then got this e-mail from AA:

Hello PAX,
AAdvantageŽ Executive Platinum Number: XXXXXXX

You currently hold AAdvantageŽ Executive Platinum status, but it looks like you haven't had a chance to fly quite as much this year. You have 30,454 AAdvantage elite-qualifying miles, 23,371 points and 39 segments but, not to worry! We're going to help you reach Platinum with a special shortcut:
Fly a little more and you're Platinum
Only 10,000 more points
Here's how to qualify: Register by November 15, 2013 with code STR13. Keep flying American or our elite-qualifying participant airlines through December 31, 2013 to reach your goal of 10,000 more elite-qualifying points. Once you do, you're set to enjoy Platinum status beginning on March 1, 2014. Of course, you'll continue to enjoy your current Executive Platinum benefits until then.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AADJ
I am EXP now and will not make even fly enough to make PLT this year. I thought I would soft land to PLT anyway
Soft landing is gone.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I know. It sucks. The first year Mrs. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin can't fly to make EXP is the first year they get rid of soft landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.