Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2012-13 AA "Soft Landing" / Status Downgrade: discussion & experiences (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

NOTE: AA has announced there will be NO SOFT LANDING in 2014. Those lacking sufficient EQM/EQP/EQS to make status 1 mar 2014 will not "fall" one status level; they will "fall" to whatever level they actually earned flying in C/Y 2013. Link.

AAdvantage status "soft landing" is the experience of dropping only one status level when one has not flown sufficiently to maintain current level, or even retain a lower level, of status. Through status year ending 28 Feb 2013, EXP only "fell" to Platinum, Platinum to Gold (and Gold to white card / no status) regardless of how the status was originally earned, the next status year.

~American AAdvantage Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

2012-13 AA "Soft Landing" / Status Downgrade: discussion & experiences (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cbr600f4i2
I was Gold when AA have Silver as an elite level
When was that? I came to AA in 2002 and don't recall a silver elite level during my time with them. HNL has posted there never was a silver level. Could you have been silver with some other airline?

Originally Posted by stc
Then why are you on this board?
Surely for the entertainment value Hard to leave when you've been on the AA forum since 2004.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:01 pm

Dumb question, I know, but I am a first time gold member.

Now that I have gold status, does the 25% premium help me reach platinum faster? And if I should get to 50,000 points or miles this CY, would I only have to fly 25,000 next year (or fewer, if business class) to hold onto platinum status?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:06 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACDouglas

Now that I have gold status, does the 25% premium help me reach platinum faster? And if I should get to 50,000 points or miles this CY, would I only have to fly 25,000 next year (or fewer, if business class) to hold onto platinum status?
The 25% does not count toward Elite Qualification, only base miles (and at times special promos, as is happening now) count toward qualification.

To re-qualify one must fly the full 25K, 50K, 100K to earn Gold/Plat/EP status for the next year.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Now that I have gold status, does the 25% premium help me reach platinum faster?
No, the premium applies only to miles you redeem for travel (Redeemable miles or RDM). The miles you need for elite qualification are EQM.

And if I should get to 50,000 points or miles this CY, would I only have to fly 25,000 next year (or fewer, if business class) to hold onto platinum status?
You have to earn 50,000 EQM or 50,000 EQP (elite qualifying points) in each calendar year to earn Platinum status. There are no discounts. The only exception I know to this is if you do a challenge and I believe those are one time only deals (or at least they are seriously restricted).
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
2012 AA Soft Landing / Status Downgrade: discussion & experiences (consolidated)

Correct answer is yes assuming you have some short flights and qualify on miles. For flights <500 miles, you now get a full 500 EQM regardless of the true length (thx to gold status).
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The bad news: no. Your 25% bonus miles are only redeemable miles, not base / Elite Qualifying miles. If you achieve Platinum this year, 1 Jan 2013 you start with a clean slate (and Platinum status through the end of February 2014, of course), to earn status all over again for 2014, no shortcuts unless AA offers DEQM /DEQP bonuses you qualify for.

The good news: AA is not one of those you qualify for level 1, reset for zero and start all over again for level 2.

You can earn Gold, Platinum or Executive Platinum on 16,667 / 33,334 / 66,667 miles if you fly Y or B coach or Business or First class (including A and P "instant upgrade") fares, so fewer miles but more money and higher class fares - or segments, or lots of 500 EQM minimum segments, of course.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 3, 2012 at 11:17 pm Reason: thanks, Galeocerdo cuvier mauiensis
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by kingarthur
Correct answer is yes assuming you have some short flights and qualify on miles. For flights <500 miles, you now get a full 500 EQM regardless of the true length (thx to gold status).
That's an answer to a question that wasn't asked.

Last edited by Stripy; Nov 4, 2012 at 8:21 am
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
You can earn Gold, Platinum or Executive Platinum on 16,667 / 33,334 / 66,667 points if you fly Y or B coach or Business or First class (including A and P "instant upgrade") fares, so fewer miles but more money and higher class fares - or segments, or lots of 500 EQM minimum segments, of course.
Bolding is mine....I think that should read 'miles' not 'points'
Old Nov 3, 2012, 11:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Got it corrected - thanks! I should not be online after attending a party for 600 people... (Nah, it's OK, I was the designated driver.)

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
Bolding is mine....I think that should read 'miles' not 'points'
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:02 am

2045 miles short of renewing status, help please, looking for options

Hi long term lurker and appreciate all the information that the community has provided.
I am currently at platinum status and find myself about (2045) miles short of gold this year. I am trying to string together a trip (work sponsored) from BOS to TPA but it involves a bit of logistics and possibly some out of pocket $$
If I am platinum now, and I don’t make gold, don’t I automatic go down one level to gold?
If so then is it worth it for the 2045 miles and renewing gold this year? And the associated logistics

thanks for any help
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, historically you will go no lower than gold although that's not a published benefit.

Only you can decide what's worth to you, based on your financial situation, time available, use of miles, personal utility from upgrades, etc. etc. Sit down and do some work.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:26 am

I'd save the money. As already pointed out, you will undoubtedly soft-land to gold next year.

It's also possible that AA may offer status buy-back again next year, so that whatever you're planning on spending now to assure gold might be better put to buying back PLT next year.

That would be my strategy.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
my wife is 450 miles shot of Platinum status.
I am not sure of any best way to attain the status ...
will AA automatically upgrade to her to platinum since she is this shot of the status ?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:41 am

thanks for the thoutful responses. the part I wasnt sure of was if I recalled correctly th "soft landing" of gold from platnum.

with that said, I think I figured out a way to do this by using one of my cat4 Marriott certificates that was going to expire anyway and the flight costs are in-line with other airlines so not a hit to my company.

need to plan better next year I guess.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Did you register for AATHX for the double elite (if already elite) and double bonus miles for flights from Nov. 1 through Dec. 31? If not, you could conceivably be closer to Gold or be able to make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.