Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Based in Shanghai: Stick with AA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member-
Avoid Star Alliance-- competing for the upgrades is fierce b/c so many 1Ks (United) are based in the west coast....

And with oneworld you get nonstop to LAX and also ORD and you also have decent options via NRT. And 8 systemwide upgrades are a great deal, and you get 4 more everytime you hit the million mark and you can upgrade even from the cheapest fare codes (unlike Delta and United).

Skyteam would be good, especially with the China Eastern/China Southern Alliance.... and you also get nonstop Delta flights to USA ( ATL and DTW?) (and also via NRT)
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by brenc3
If CA works for your domestic travel, then you might want to think about banking miles with UA or some other *A carrier.
While CA's presence in Shanghai has grown substantially over the course of the past 5 years, and the trend is continuing, their network pales in comparison to MU/CZ. Plus, CZ's W fares are a nice treat.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brenc3
I'd stick with AA. The 8 eVIPs and the F lounge access is a huge plus. Don't forget that OW is the only alliance that grants status-based F lounge access.

If CA works for your domestic travel, then you might want to think about banking miles with UA or some other *A carrier. 50k/yr is enough to make *G with lounge access - some *A carriers offer *G at <50k. If you do want to combine miles in one alliance, UA would be the way to go, though you won't earn as many SWUs and you may want to look into how difficult the PVG routes are for upgrading.

DL is not the carrier for international uprgades or lounge access. Getting to the forward cabin on DL involves purchasing only the most expensive Y fares and then dealing with the upgrade shenanigan lottery. The only benefit would be to have MU and CZ for mileage earning.

My advice, stick with AA and consider Priority Pass for lounge access on non-OW carriers. The domestic flights will be short anyway.
Thanks for the valuable input -- all of which has been confirmed by my research. SWUs on UA and DL are awful -- there are quite a few fare class exclusions that it really makes AA's SWU product far superior. And the F access is icing on the cake.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveler19
Avoid Star Alliance-- competing for the upgrades is fierce b/c so many 1Ks (United) are based in the west coast....

And with oneworld you get nonstop to LAX and also ORD and you also have decent options via NRT. And 8 systemwide upgrades are a great deal, and you get 4 more everytime you hit the million mark and you can upgrade even from the cheapest fare codes (unlike Delta and United).

Skyteam would be good, especially with the China Eastern/China Southern Alliance.... and you also get nonstop Delta flights to USA ( ATL and DTW?) (and also via NRT)
I've taken both routes (PVG-LAX and PVG-ORD) when going back to NYC. I think I slightly prefer the LAX route, as the flights seem less crowded .

And yes, upgrading from the cheapest fare codes with AA's SWUs is a very sweet benefit, indeed.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
While CA's presence in Shanghai has grown substantially over the course of the past 5 years, and the trend is continuing, their network pales in comparison to MU/CZ. Plus, CZ's W fares are a nice treat.
Yes, good point, MU/CZ has a great network here in China.

Dear All: Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to stick with AA (first order of business, need to book another 30K in flights this year for Exec Platinum!) and do MU/CZ domestically and CX/JAL intra-Asia when I can.

The bottom line is that, for me, AA does have a superior product, internationally. The SWUs and F Lounge access are quite a deal.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:12 am

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Originally Posted by nok123
Drawback to AA, now that I'm based in Shanghai:
- No China partner: It's unbelievable to me that both China Eastern and China Southern are Sky Team partners; I know AA pursued on of those two, but lost.
- I'll fly 50K per year inside China, none of which will be credited to AA.
- I'll only fly 3 times non-personal trips to the US on AA (~45K-50K EQM)

Keep both if you can. Your 50,000 MQMs on MU and CZ will net you ST E+, which is all you really need if you aren't in the USA much to enjoy unlimited domestic upgrades on DL.

Do what you can to enjoy either OneWorld or Star Alliance status, because at the higher levels you tend to get more international upgrade options.

I live in Seoul, and being above DL Gold does absolutely nothing for me. Heck, I have a Y fare for a flight ICN-ATL next week and can't even get an upgrade with both SWU or miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.