FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Exit row availablilty if I'm just 150 miles short of Gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1272605-exit-row-availablilty-if-im-just-150-miles-short-gold.html)

LAX_Tall_Flyer Oct 25, 2011 12:19 am

Exit row availablilty if I'm just 150 miles short of Gold

I am 150 miles until I get Gold. I have a flight booked LAX-SFO in November. On the first leg, I'll pass the threshold for Gold. I'd love to reserve an exit row for both segments. Do you think if I call the AA desk that they'd move me to an exit row, or do I have to wait until I do the first leg, call AA and then try to get one for the return trip?

Thank you in advance for your help. It's due to this forum that I've gotten status this year!

gemac Oct 25, 2011 1:08 am

Originally Posted by LAX_Tall_Flyer (Post 17330874)
I am 150 miles until I get Gold. I have a flight booked LAX-SFO in November. On the first leg, I'll pass the threshold for Gold. I'd love to reserve an exit row for both segments. Do you think if I call the AA desk that they'd move me to an exit row, or do I have to wait until I do the first leg, call AA and then try to get one for the return trip?

Thank you in advance for your help. It's due to this forum that I've gotten status this year!

Wait until you get Gold, then call.

mvoight Oct 25, 2011 1:51 am

Are you suggesting they give you an exit row seat when 150 miles short of Gold, and deprive someone with Real elite status or a someone with a full fare ticket or Aanytime award, from obtaining the seat?
Wait just over 24 hours before the flight, then call.
If there are no seats at that point, then they went to the people who are supposed to sit there.

will2288 Oct 25, 2011 2:11 am

Welcome to FT!

I think the other posters here are correct.

sukn Oct 25, 2011 3:35 am

1) Call AAdvantage Customer Service and see if they will manually comp the GLD status since you are so close, and have qualifying flights booked. It may or may not work, but it is worth a shot.

2) AA has begun selling Exit Row seats as part of Preferred Seats to non-elites. However, you can only purchase them within 24-hours of departure.

clacko Oct 25, 2011 3:38 am

ask at the gate also......

igopogo Oct 25, 2011 8:29 am

Originally Posted by sukn (Post 17331241)
1) Call AAdvantage Customer Service and see if they will manually comp the GLD status since you are so close, and have qualifying flights booked. It may or may not work, but it is worth a shot.

Tried that last year, to avoid baggage fees. I even had DEQM miles coming to me so by my calculation I was already gold :) No dice.

CAPT Tee Oct 25, 2011 9:42 am

I am 150 miles until I get Gold. I have a flight booked LAX-SFO in November. On the first leg, I'll pass the threshold for Gold.

Status is not updated upon landing of the qualifying flight, it is when the miles are posted.

oldpenny16 Oct 25, 2011 9:44 am

Originally Posted by CAPT Tee (Post 17332608)
Status is not updated upon landing of the qualifying flight, it is when the miles are posted.

150 miles short. Buy something via AA eshopping, make a donation to the USO via AA.com or something else that will get you those few miles. You can join the AA Rewards network and do some dining after registering a credit card or 2.

brp Oct 25, 2011 9:58 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 17332624)
150 miles short. Buy something via AA eshopping, make a donation to the USO via AA.com or something else that will get you those few miles. You can join the AA Rewards network and do some dining after registering a credit card or 2.

This will have no impact on obtaining flight-based status, which is what appears to be under discussion here.

Cheers.

oldpenny16 Oct 25, 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by brp (Post 17332708)
This will have no impact on obtaining flight-based status, which is what appears to be under discussion here.

Cheers.

OK, so the OP is not seeking 1MM AA miles GOLD status. Sorry about my mistake. I have the million mile issue on my mind.

brp Oct 25, 2011 11:20 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16 (Post 17332940)
OK, so the OP is not seeking 1MM AA miles GOLD status. Sorry about my mistake. I have the million mile issue on my mind.

Yeah, I can see that from your posts in the threads on that topic. That's what I figured was happening :D

Cheers.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Oct 25, 2011 11:39 am

Exit rows often open up as upgrades clear. My suggestion is get to the airport early and inquire with an agent. If nothing is open, you can again ask at the gate. At times, GAs make announcements when an exit seat is open.

ted.zhang Oct 25, 2011 12:07 pm

just call them

trinity_in_texas Oct 25, 2011 2:09 pm

sukn has the right of it.
Call ACS.
800-882-8880
Then tell us what they do :)