Wiki Posts
Search

How much do lounge and gate agents know about ticket history

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
How much do lounge and gate agents know about ticket history

I was flying internationally back to the US and then connecting domestically to home yesterday, with both legs upgraded with a SWU to C and A respectively. The first flight was delayed and it was obvious that I would miss the connection so I called the EXP desk and they confirmed me on a later domestic flight while also leaving me on the original. The original flight was still an A fare basis but the later flight was put as F. Get back to the US and get email while in lounge that domestic flight is delayed four hours (actually ended up being five) so went to agent to see if I could get on an earlier flight. I was told that the one available flight was very oversold and zeroed-out but showed two F seats open and since I was on a full-fare FC ticket I would go straight to the top of the standby list. Sure enough, when I get to the gate I am one of two people who have cleared while there are still 50+ others on the standby list.

Therefore, it looks like the lounge agent thought I was really on a paid full-fare FC ticket because it was in F and acted accordingly. Were they and the GAs just being nice or is it really the case that all they could see was a 'F' fare basis with no history of how I got that?
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The agents could see as much as they wanted to see.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If they looked deep enough, they will see the ticket is for A but since you're currently booked in F, they'll just leave it as that.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Although the GA gave you the benefit, you will earn miles on the original fare class ticketed before the upgrade, though it would be nice if you also got the COS bonus miles
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by reubergd
Not exactly true. It seems in some situations you may earn miles on the new fare class. A similar situation happened to me about 2 weeks ago and I earned miles based on the new fare class, not on the original fare class (Y) I was booked. I was supposed to get 100% mile bonus, but I got 150% bonus on the domestic legs. See below how the miles posted:

10/XX/11 AMERICAN AIRLINES 1381 F DFW SFO 1,464 2,196 3,660
10/XX/11 AMERICAN AIRLINES 320 F MIA DFW 1,121 1,682 2,803
10/XX/11 AMERICAN AIRLINES 998 Y GRU MIA 4,072 4,072 8,144
That must have been a nice bonus as it is probably due to a glitch in the system Was this after a IRROP?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:14 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Although the GA gave you the benefit, you will earn miles on the original fare class ticketed before the upgrade, though it would be nice if you also got the COS bonus miles
Depends on what the new fare class was used. If the misconnect caused the agent (or they just used the fare class available) to change to a paid vs upgrade class, you'll get that COS bonus unless someone audits and finds the error. You can call and have them adjust it to the appropriate level but I've always been told "forget it, it's not worth the time".
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
When I have been in a similar situation I have sometimes gotten the miles and bonuses for the higher class of service as if I'd had a full fare paid ticket.

Something got lost in the rebooking.

As mentioned above, sometimes it is not worth the time and effort to go through a ticket's history. The imposrtant thing is to get passengers in their seats so the plane can fly.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Before I was EXP, one time I was rebooked due to an IROP and was booked in Y inventory, and AA did not deduct any stickers and gave me 1.5x EQP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.