EXP for 20k miles: Am i reading this correctly?

Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott LT Platinum, SPG platinum
EXP for 20k miles: Am i reading this correctly?

I received this email this afternoon and if I am reading it correctly, I can get EXP status for flying 20k BIS between now and Jan 31.

Has anybody else received this email. Seems like a targeted offer. (I am unable to do a c/p so doing a c/p in text)

Dear smfflyer,

At American Airlines, we appreciate your business and want to see more of you. That’s why we’re offering you two exclusive promotions.

First, you can earn double American Airlines AAdvantage® miles on all purchased, published fares for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier between October 13, 2011, and January 31, 2012.

Second, we're offering you the opportunity to qualify for AAdvantage Gold®, AAdvantage Platinum® or even AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status at an accelerated rate.

Between October 13, 2011, and January 31, 2012, simply fly the required number of base miles as outlined below on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection carrier. Elite status membership earned through this special promotion will be valid through February 28, 2013.

AAdvantage gold : 5000 base miles
AAdvantage Platinum : 10000 base miles
AAdvantage Executive Platinum : 20000 base miles

We know you'll appreciate the privileges of AAdvantage elite status, including:
Waived charges for up to two checked bags
PriorityAAccessSM check-in, security lanes and boarding
Complimentary access to Preferred Plus Seats and Preferred Seats
Same-day standby privileges
Complimentary upgrades when flying on eligible full-fare tickets**
Mileage bonuses on select elite-qualifying flights
Minimum mileage guarantee of 500 miles on most flights
Exclusive access to a dedicated phone line
Waived processing charges for AAdvantage awards that are claimed within 21 days of departure
Discounts on Admirals Club® memberships
And more!
For complete details on all AAdvantage elite status benefits, visit www.aa.com/elitebenefits.

This is an exclusive offer only for members who receive this email from American Airlines, and you must register online to participate.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Do you have any miles on AA this year? Being that they're willing to offer you your choice of tiers it seems they want to see you come back. 20K for EXP does seem like a great deal if you can knock out the miles in that short time frame.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLAT, Starwood PLT, Hilton Silver
That's seems to be the case. All I have to say is that is an incredibly generous promotion. Double RDM for the entire promotion period regardless of where you fly and EXP for only 20K EQM. I certainly hope you take advantage of this. Seriously how does one get targeted for offers like these?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, Marriott LT Platinum, SPG platinum
I was an EXP in 2010 but have not flown much this year. Only about 2k BIS miles. I am about to make 1k this year on UA and have some other trips planned that I can switch to AA and maybe do some MR to get to this...
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
A great offer if you only need 20k EQMs and not 20k EQPs to make EXP. Although it doesn't explicitly state it, it would be nice if you got 8 eVIPs for obtaining EXP this way. Did the few people who did a status match to EXP earlier this year get the 8 eVIPs?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:22 pm
Suspended

It sounds like one could get EXP for about $1,500?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
<<< jealous. I, too, was EXP in 2010 but lost that when my travel went downhill faster than a bad contestant on the Price is Right Cliffhanger game

I've barely flown this year, too. Alas, no offers for me.
I wonder if there wasn't some other factor involved beyond what you've outlined.

In any case, congrats on receiving this offer! ^
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:05 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
My guess is that AA is aggressively going after UA 1K's .

20K miles in 3 months is really very easy to do - its only 4 r/t trancons (i.e. LAX-JFK).

Sure is ** easier than the 100 segments that I am almost finished completing..
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:18 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
WOW now even EXP is basically free for some So one day and about $1000.00 gets it.
Well I must say nice if you can get it personally I think it is an insult to all here that get it by working all year to reach the 100K however they do it points,miles,segments.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
My guess is that AA is aggressively going after UA 1K's .
I know a Bay Area 1K flyer that has asked AA for either an EXP status match or EXP challenge. He's made a number of calls to Dallas and sent e-mails. AA has no interest in setting something up for him and he's a high revenue flyer that typically buys international business class tickets (much different profile than me).

If they're doing something to lure 1Ks he's missed out.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLAT, Starwood PLT, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by miamigrad
<<< jealous. I, too, was EXP in 2010 but lost that when my travel went downhill faster than a bad contestant on the Price is Right Cliffhanger game

I've barely flown this year, too. Alas, no offers for me.
I wonder if there wasn't some other factor involved beyond what you've outlined.

In any case, congrats on receiving this offer! ^
+1 for the Price is Right analogy But I'm in the almost the same situation. I'll hit EXP this year but my work travel has nosedived in the past 2 months to nothing. So not sure if I'll even fly much next year. Wonder if maybe I'll get a lucky offer like this haha.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Wow, good for you, OP! Where are you based? Perhaps that will give some clue as to why you were targeted.

Also, is there a registration code for this offer? I know AA will only honor it for folks targeted, but it still might be useful to know if those of us in vaguely similar boats want to ask AA about this.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
I would be really interested in this challenge. What area do you reside in? Hope that I get the email.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:03 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by PETEFLYS
WOW now even EXP is basically free for some So one day and about $1000.00 gets it.
Well I must say nice if you can get it personally I think it is an insult to all here that get it by working all year to reach the 100K however they do it points,miles,segments.
I agree.

PLT and GLD - that's one thing, but I truly think EXP should have to be earned (sole exception is for military heroes).
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Wow, good for you, OP! Where are you based? Perhaps that will give some clue as to why you were targeted.
My guess is SMF based on his username?

Anyway, the OP could do 3 WCoast-ECoast RTs (with clever routings like SMF-LAX-JFK-Florida) and reach the 20K EQM mark.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.