Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Megado launch party in LA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Does anyone know approximately when booking is supposed to open for those not present at the launch?
Everything I've read here and on MP has suggested it will be quite soon, but nothing more detailed than that. IIRC originally the booking engine was supposed to be available at the launch party.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:35 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Everything I've read here and on MP has suggested it will be quite soon, but nothing more detailed than that. IIRC originally the booking engine was supposed to be available at the launch party.
Ah ok thanks. I might want to try to snag an F seat, if there are any left by that point!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
I hope when the booking engine opens up to those not present at the event F is still available. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells out in those first 24 hours before the sale goes public.

I can't wait to fly AA mainline into BFI as well as SEA-LAX!
Having been on a do, and with the relatively short flights on the domestic side, I can say that F is a waste of money since you'll be out of your seat and wandering through Y to chat with folks...
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
I went and thought it was a great event. AA is really pulling out all the stops and announced they will have a program to match top tier status from Delta and United to EXP, which is surprising since they protect is normally from matches/challenges.

Maya Liebman was personable and funny and there were a bunch of reps from AA- impressive for a Sunday night on a holiday weekend.

Overall, I'm not an AA flyer, but am thinking about going for EXP since I'm a DL Diamond. The event in January also looks great and I'm sure will sell out quickly.
really so if I am a UA 1p and pay to do the mega do i will be matched to an AA Platinum?????????????????

if so badass........ Ummm i feel a change in the wind
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
really so if I am a UA 1p and pay to do the mega do i will be matched to an AA Platinum?????????????????
Note that the status matching is NOT confirmed as official - it's been announced as PENDING. Maya stated that they have some work to do to make sure it works out as it should for everyone, rather than (my paraphrase, not her words) being a cluster#*&@ where expectations are mis-managed and not met.

It was also IMPLIED that it COULD be something like the Status+Challenge that Hyatt is offering registrants/attendees where they get Hyatt Diamond status but have to make a certain number of stays to keep it.

I'd expect to see more information on megado.com as things solidify.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Robt760
I attended the event. It was a nice thing for the sponsoring companies to be part of. The link with the info pretty much gives a good run down of the event and what the "DO" will be.

It seemed that most of the people at the launch party participated in the preview *A "DO"s and though a good amount have Aadvantage status, most seemed to be loyal *A or Skyteam members. Most in attendance were Mile Point participants and fewer Flyer Talk participants (unless they have different talk handles for each board) and many of those (to my knowledge) don't participate here in the AAdvantage Forum much.

It was nice to meet with the representatives from the sponsors. Maya really is as genuine and friendly as the video she was in recently. The Director of LAX operations is a nice guy, and I found out that the Terminal 4 Food/Vendor change may still be awhile. AA's hands are tied to selection of who the vendors are and who operates them.

My honest impression (though I hope it's wrong) is that most everybody in attendance wanted AA status matches, to which Maya stated "we'd love to win your business" and "EXP matches are rare except in rare circumstances". Quite an enthusiastic group of people...some a bit over the top. I hope to attend the domestic part of the "DO" as it would be great to get a behind the scenes look at things....especially by home airport LAX and the yet to be named OW operators that will be part of the LAX finale.
This is a pretty accurate summary of the event particularly wrt Maya. However I would say that when signing in I caught a glimpse of the guest list (with OW status listed) that the AA staff had and it seemed most attendees were already OW Emerald or Sapphire.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:28 pm

Who's the contact for questions on MegaDo?

I was wondering if there's a minimum age or if I can bring a (well behaved) minor who wants to work in the industry.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by nall

I was wondering if there's a minimum age or if I can bring a (well behaved) minor who wants to work in the industry.
mreed911 seems to have some good connection to it all. Here's the website, as well. They have a few social sites that you could probably use to ask that question to them directly: http://megado.com/blogs/ ^
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by nall

Everything you want to know and (too much) more can be found in the threads on the Mile Point site. There's alot of 'stuff' to sort through, so best bet is to go directly to the NEWBIES ONLY thread and look around there.

The point of contact is Tommy 777.

http://milepoint.com/forums/forums/oneworld-megado.325/
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I hope all of those attending get their $$$$$ worth.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I hope all of those attending get their $$$$$ worth.
I've talked to some FTers that have done the Star Mega Do and they have been encouraging me to attend the One World Mega Do because they do perceive there is excellent value when you add up the events and flights. Have you attended any of the Star Mega Dos? I think there's been three now.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Robt760
My honest impression (though I hope it's wrong) is that most everybody in attendance wanted AA status matches
I can see where there would be some interest in that, particularly in light of he changes to the UA program. I know one Bay Area FTer that just can't find anyone at AA to give him an EXP status match or even an EXP challenge. I'm glad to see the topic was raised with the AA execs just to let them know there are some flyers at other carriers that want to make the move.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

[redacted deleted quote and response]

The SMDs are organized in a non profit called the FTEF (Frequent Traveler Education Foundation). The reason is we need an entity to get DOT approval for the charter. There's FULL disclosure on all economics of the Mega DOs.

That's the way it has been from the beginning and the way it will continue to be.

Thank you, folks. Hope we can stay on topic moving forward.

Stay tuned for all the facts coming VERY soon!

Last edited by magic111; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Having attended 2 out of 3 StarMegaDos (couldn't make the 3rd due to a business trip), I can say they were a blast, total fun, had experiences that I would never have had on my own, got to see lots of things/places, etc, I wouldn't normally, and made some great friends along the way. It was well worth the $$ I spent.

If someone is interested in attending the OneWorld event & has the $$/time available, if it's anything like the StarMegados I'd say you'll have a great time.

StarMegaDos & presumably OneWorldDo are open to BOTH FTers & MPers. Presumably when registration is open, tommy will post the details on both sites.

BTW - 2 things I learned from attending the Dos. 1) There's 'real-time' & 'MegaDo time' - aka, registration never starts when they say it will or all the details, but be patient they eventually get it together. 2) If you're in charge of the on-board charity raffle, don't bother booking F because you're not in your seat.

My advice to others is: if you want to attend the OneWorldDo, do. If you don't, don't. No need to get into pissy fights over it, though, and throw mud around. Geesh.

Cheers.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Thread closed

This thread was for information for FlyerTalkers.

Posts have been deleted and this thread is now closed. Please feel free to continue the discussion in the CommunityBuzz forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...a-oct-9th.html

~moderator

Last edited by magic111; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.