Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens to AA miles (if) they go Bankrupt?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:22 am
Original Poster

What happens to AA miles (if) they go Bankrupt?

Rumor has it on the street that AA will go bankrupt.
What does that do to all our miles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

As stated downthread:

It is not generally in the purview of the moderators to remove posts that may be inaccurate or controversial. Rather, FlyerTalk's membership as a whole tends to self-correct such issues.

Those who read a single statement from an anonymous poster on a public bulletin board and take actions based on that statement always do so at their own risk.

/Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Oct 3, 2011 at 3:16 pm
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Or, similar to what really happened with every other legacy carrier that went bankrupt but not out of business, none of your miles will be lost as miles aren't debt or equity. They are a competitive tool and all bankruptcy courts have agreed to leave the program in place to aid in long-term success.

I'm aware of very few miles actually being lost - one Australian carrier that I can't think of right now is the only one I remember. TWA survived, along with US, United, etc. that filed but didn't shut down.

Last edited by CPRich; Oct 3, 2011 at 12:18 pm
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: All of them
[redacted quote from deleted post - moderator]

I didn't lose my NWA miles when they went bankrupt, and when they merged with DL my miles remained.

Last edited by magic111; Oct 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm Reason: redacted quote from deleted post
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
it would be stupid of them to irritate their ffers....if they shut down & liquidated, perhaps, but with twa, aa bought assets and picked up the ffers mis....this happened w/panam & others....i'm not worried...
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since this is AA specific I'll move it there.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It is very highly doubtful that AA would go into a Chapter 7. Just like CO, US, UA, DL, and NW they would restructure under a Chapter 11. Your miles would not change nor would the AAdvantage program change other than normal competitive situations. I think the OP (and others) should spend more time worrying about their upgrades clearing.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by CPRich
Or, similar to what really happened with every other legacy carrier that went bankrupt but not out of business, none of your miles will be lost as miles aren't debt or equity.
Every mile minted is indeed recorded as a future liability and must be accounted for as such on financial statements (specifically on the balance sheet and addenda).
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:24 pm

This is quite funny because I thought of this for the first time as I seen American Airlines becoming worth under 1 billion dollars and declining more. Now that I have realized this I now want to start booking trips with these AA miles OR alternatively points.com transfer out like 163k points.

There will be a fire sale of miles and the devaluation of the miles it would seem could be just because of the small chance they may not be worth anything. If another airliner bought them I imagine we would be able to still use their miles in the new system. While the conversion may be iffy, it wouldn't be an absolute loss....a very concerning situation.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thread retitled.

I think AA is the only existing legacy airline that has not "gone bankrupt" - reorganized under Chapter 11 - and I can't recollect one instance when the frequent flyers' miles were lost due to these reorganizing.

My lifetime AA Gold status occurred because of a bankruptcy - TWA's actually, which ultimately led to AA's takeover and absorption of my >5M Aviators miles into my AAdvantage account, which was already >5M AAdvantage miles.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Speculation: According to the purser on a recent flight, AA has tons of money and makes a profit...they are just cooking the books to make it look like a loss in the hopes of breaking union contracts.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:33 pm

$1000 in future travel certificates ?

I understand FF miles have carried over Chapter 11 bankruptcies.

What is the status of these certificates in case AMR does a pre-packaged Chapter 11 ?

Is my standing better in case I buy tickets with it(need it in April 2012) ?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
If AA went Chapter 11 and then told its mileage holders to get lost, then it would shortly find itself in Chapter 7.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by trojanman
Speculation: According to the purser on a recent flight, AA has tons of money and makes a profit...they are just cooking the books to make it look like a loss in the hopes of breaking union contracts.
This speculation is absolute unbelievable. Cooking the books would mean that the company is doing creative accounting.

AA is making losses yearly, so good luck.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: Nada :(
I've been pretty concerned about this seeing as my wife and I just accrued 300k+ miles and I really don't want to lose them. It's nice to hear that we'd hopefully keep them. I assume this is the same for ticketed rewards?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by kfennell
I've been pretty concerned about this seeing as my wife and I just accrued 300k+ miles and I really don't want to lose them. It's nice to hear that we'd hopefully keep them. I assume this is the same for ticketed rewards?
You probably wouldn't lose tickets unless the airline was being permanently dismantled.

If they just cancelled everyone's tickets, many people would never fly AA again, and the airline would be doomed.

Your miles and flights are fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.