Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Five miles short of EXP - will they grant EXP early?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Five miles short of EXP - will they grant EXP early?

Finally on the cusp. 73 flights, 99,985 miles, 88,237 points.....If I call AA will they just give it to me?

I have a few more flights this year but I want it now! It's 10 measly miles LOL

Last edited by rich728; Oct 3, 2011 at 7:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:36 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Why should they? There are three more months left in the year. Fly a short hop and get it done.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by rich728
Finally on the cusp. 73 flights, 99,995 miles, 88,237 EQM.....If I call AA will they just give it to me?

Interesting, since you will eventually make it. I'd call Customer Service and ask (nicely). I have a feeling that you will be told to call back as soon as you have completed your next flight and AA will manually post the miles and refresh your existing reservations for upgrade purposes.

But if you call let us know what you are told.

I do have one question you say 99,995 miles but 88,237 EQMs, should that be 88,237 EPS?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Interesting, since you will eventually make it. I'd call Customer Service and ask (nicely). I have a feeling that you will be told to call back as soon as you have completed your next flight and AA will manually post the miles and refresh your existing reservations for upgrade purposes.

But if you call let us know what you are told.

I do have one question you say 99,995 miles but 88,237 EQMs, should that be 88,237 EPS?

oops. yes, 88,237 elite qualifying points. My company buys me the cheapest tickets available
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:17 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
99,995 eqm & you need 10 for exp?....perhaps you need a calculator!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by clacko
99,995 eqm & you need 10 for exp?....perhaps you need a calculator!
metric miles.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: AA PLT
take a trip to the end of the runway
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Maybe you can ask them to count your taxiing miles.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Certainly wouldn't hurt to ask, but I get the feeling this call would have better results if today were 12/31. Good luck, keep us updated.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Finally on the cusp. 73 flights, 99,995 miles, 88,237 points.....If I call AA will they just give it to me?

Couple years back had reached 99,650 or so in July. Was summarily granted requalification very shortly afterwards. Can't report on initial qualifying.

From 2006
Looks like I'll be just short of requalifying for EXP

Last edited by magic111; Oct 3, 2011 at 11:08 am Reason: added link
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Ask them for the miles if you agree to run the length or Runway 13 R, then turn around and run the length of Runway 31L at LGA, and then back down Runway 13R. That's about five miles.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:48 am

they did basically the same thing for me last year when i was GLD and about 50 miles short of PLT. granted, i all ready had upcoming flights ticketed that would have eventually pushed me over the threshold, but i am running on the assumption that you probably do, too.

i just called AA up and said "i will qualify for PLT status on my next flight; is there any way we can go ahead and take care of this now?" the agent put me on hold for a few short minutes, then came back and said "congratulations, you are now a PLT member". i checked AA.com a little later and sure enough, i was.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Finally on the cusp. 73 flights, 99,995 miles, 88,237 points.....If I call AA will they just give it to me?

Once you get into the "almost there" game, you have to draw a line between what is "almost there" and what isn't. No matter where you draw that line, somebody gets cheesed off, claiming that they are "almost" almost there. As with other policies, exceptions can be made, so I woiuld go ahead and ask, but it isn't automatic or something that we are entitled to. I would expect to be denied. I would expect Eagle ranking to figure in.

The differences between EXP and Plat are slight except for the SWUs and the free upgrades on domestic flights. If you are taking an international flight that gets you over 100K, I would call and ask to be allowed to go negative on SWUs. I think that would have a good chance of being allowed. If it is a long domestic flight that you would like to upgrade, and the stickers would cost a lot, you might want to consider a short mileage run in the interim.

If you will tell us why you care, perhaps we can suggest the best plan for you.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by gemac
Once you get into the "almost there" game, you have to draw a line between what is "almost there" and what isn't. No matter where you draw that line, somebody gets cheesed off, claiming that they are "almost" almost there. As with other policies, exceptions can be made, so I woiuld go ahead and ask, but it isn't automatic or something that we are entitled to. I would expect to be denied. I would expect Eagle ranking to figure in.

The differences between EXP and Plat are slight except for the SWUs and the free upgrades on domestic flights. If you are taking an international flight that gets you over 100K, I would call and ask to be allowed to go negative on SWUs. I think that would have a good chance of being allowed. If it is a long domestic flight that you would like to upgrade, and the stickers would cost a lot, you might want to consider a short mileage run in the interim.

If you will tell us why you care, perhaps we can suggest the best plan for you.
I'm assuming that maybe the OP want to have the EXP status for his next flight rather than waiting for those miles to post. Like I said in an earlier post if I was the OP I'd ask (and call back if the first TA said no) since I have future travel booked this year that would take me over the 100K mark. But if I had to make a bet I'd say the OP would be told to call back as soon as he completes his next flight to have the miles, status, and refresh of existing reservations done immediately.

But OP report back to us if you do call.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 12:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
The call to AA should be made before the OP. That way these countless "almost there" threads would cease to exist because they've already been answered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.