Exhausted FA's build 'fort'

Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would also not be distressed by what the OP saw. However I may have lower expectations than most AA premium passengers/elites since I was flying UA, DL, AC, B6 and even US 6 months ago.

FAs providing service when needed and then quietly withdrawing to a private area and sleeping discreetly would be a pleasant surprise on some of these carriers.

My worst FA experience with AA was them continuing to serve an intoxicated passenger even after he spilled his drink on me more than once. My worst FA experience period was a (probably) intoxicated US FA spilling drinks on multiple passengers.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:20 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
also shows how hard it would be for them to get a job in a different line of work..
I don't know. Is there a market for fort builders?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:15 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Can anyone answer why FA's would be asleep in the forward galley when there are four crew rest seats in row 17?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The blocking the forward lav is the only problem that I would have. When one gets up in the middle of the night to go the last thing one wants to do is stand in the aisle for ten minutes waiting for a free lav. As long as there is one FA on duty for a beverage request I see no problem if the boys (FAs) want to hold a gossip round table in the galley.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:50 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by masonp123
I'm actually a bit torn about this whole thread (I tore myself).
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I would also not be distressed by what the OP saw.
I agree. While I think that this is very unprofessional, if the service were otherwise good, I wouldn't waste my time worrying nor writing over it.

Since I'm not seeing the degradation in service that some are reporting, I don't see this as the harbinger of doom that some claim.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by brp
I agree. While I think that this is very unprofessional, if the service were otherwise good, I wouldn't waste my time worrying nor writing over it.
+1, same here. Weird experience, but in the grand scheme of things your flight went well, and you had a great service.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I fly lowest fare First
Emphasis added.

You're the perfect candidate for AA's service, since they stripped it down in order to provide lowest fare. Personally, I pay a premium to get a decent car, I pay a premium to get a decent meal, and it goes without saying that I pay a premium to get a decent flight...although the elite programs warp the definition of "decent".
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:30 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
Emphasis added.

You're the perfect candidate for AA's service, since they stripped it down in order to provide lowest fare. Personally, I pay a premium to get a decent car, I pay a premium to get a decent meal, and it goes without saying that I pay a premium to get a decent flight...although the elite programs warp the definition of "decent".
See, that's your mistake. I pay a premium to have a really nice car. I'll also pay the premium for a good meal and very nice wine. Because I get those things when I pay for it.

If you're paying on AA that way, you're blowing it. I pay for dirt cheap economy, upgrade and get the same service as you. Whether it should or shouldn't be that way is irrelevant to this point. That's what it is.

I only pay a premium for things when I'm actually going to get something for it.

Cheers.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by brp
If you're paying on AA that way, you're blowing it. I pay for dirt cheap economy, upgrade and get the same service as you. Whether it should or shouldn't be that way is irrelevant to this point. That's what it is.

I only pay a premium for things when I'm actually going to get something for it.
+1, I could not agree more. Spending personal money is a matter of evaluating the utility you will get for the cost of spending more. In respects to flying AA (all other airlines set aside), paying $10K for a hop across the pond in F will not (in my personal valuations) give you the value worthy of the price paid.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp
See, that's your mistake. I pay a premium to have a really nice car. I'll also pay the premium for a good meal and very nice wine. Because I get those things when I pay for it.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by econometrics
+1, I could not agree more. Spending personal money is a matter of evaluating the utility you will get for the cost of spending more. In respects to flying AA (all other airlines set aside), paying $10K for a hop across the pond in F will not (in my personal valuations) give you the value worthy of the price paid.
But it matters not if you spend OPM.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by magic111
HA, that should have been disclaimed, you're right.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just to put things in perspective. I would much rather use a service provider whose employees believe they can sleep on the floor as long as they get their job done, than one whose employees have the following view:

Originally Posted by econometrics
Originally Posted by magic111
HA, that should have been disclaimed, you're right.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Just to put things in perspective. I would much rather use a service provider whose employees believe they can sleep on the floor as long as they get their job done, than one whose employees have the following view:
Oh, come now, twas simply a fun-filled joke. The only person who truly holds this view is my wife.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
And in a clear air turbulence encounter, what would have happened to the "fort" made of 250 plus pound carts ? Carts in use for service or flight deck door protection or "galley secure" ..This crew apparently "here for our safety" unless they want to do something unsafe that fits a need of theirs...The "fort" created a potential safety issue...Why send a letter to commend ?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
If this crew was the "best" and so "fantastic" and the flight experience was "great", and safety standards weren't compromised (one awake or whatever the rule requires), then what's the problem?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.