Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

~200K AA miles; need to move 2 + infant to BOS and MAD from MIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AA

Hi all...

We are flying out of MIA and I need to get my wife, baby and I to BOS for Thanksgiving.

Then I need to get us to MAD 3rd week of Jan from MIA....

Trying to do it all in Business to make travel with an infant a bit easier...

Any 'best way' or is it just a matter of approaching it as a simple cost vs. miles use and adding it all up? i.e. is it better upgrade from economy on domestic and/or international tickets? etc., etc.,

Thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
step 1 is to check availability, which you can do on aa.com....

if saver awards are available, it is 25k/per round trip to bos....40k pp for mad if round trip...all in coach...w/3 seats, i think you will have 5k mi left...

up grades from paid coach are 25k mi + $350 pp each way mia-mad & 15k + $75 mia-bos....you can confirm on aa.com...

good luck....
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:32 pm

This should really be in the AAdvantage forum. I'm no expert, but here are two important bits of info for you:

1) AA allows stopovers in the gateway city. So if you can find a oneworld MIA-MAD flight (Iberia?) you could book a ticket BOS-MIA-MAD with a stopover in Miami. That way you could then book a one-way MIA-BOS for the earlier flight.

2) AA has off-peak of 20k each way N. America to Europe during that time. There's no off-peak business discount though. But you could conceivably book:

MIA-BOS (12.5k miles) + BOS-MIA-MAD (20k miles) + MAD-MIA (20k miles) = 52.5k miles per person

To do that in business would be 125k miles per person, unless there's some tactic I'm not aware of. If you're willing to burn the miles by all means do business, but I find the AA off-peak rate such a steal that it's hard not to do economy.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:38 pm
In Memoriam

good point on the mia stopover...is the baby under 2 yrs old?....are thinking about 2 seats + lap child?

Last edited by clacko; Oct 1, 2011 at 9:46 pm
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:42 am
In Memoriam

you need to call aa re charges for a lap child on intl flights....there are taxes/fees which are much higher on business awards....
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AA
Thanks for all of the answers! This gives a lot of strategy!

Yes, trying to put the baby (3 months today) in the lap to save $/miles.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:36 am
In Memoriam

be sure to check w/aa re intl lap child.....iirc, its ~10% of walk up fares for the cabin + the usual ticks & fleas....
Old Oct 2, 2011, 2:03 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I would recommend checking on BA's website for IB availability from all US gateways. It is a good, accurate indicator. If you are EXP on AA, call AA directly as the AA website will not display expanded availability for EXP.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 3:08 pm
In Memoriam

another plan would be to do all coach w/2 mia-bos & lap....then 3 tickets bos-mia-stopover-mad, then mad-mia....probably least out of pocket cost, a lot less lap time.....

i don't know if there are bassinets in j....if not then its lap for the flight[s]

if y'all don't need the leg room in j, might be the best option....

let us know what you do....good luck...
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Titanium
Not clear on your exact dates of when you have to fly where, but i just purchased business class tix for the end of November from Chicago to Barcelona roundtrip for about $1900. I know that the same fares are available to Madrid as well. Be flexible on your dates and you may be able to take advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.