Change award reservation after starting travel

Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Change award reservation after starting travel

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it on AA website or on a search here.

I was wondering if it's possible to make changes to a reservation after I have started the trip. If I'm on a stopover at a gateway city, can I change the time/date of the outbound flights for free?

If it possible to change the destination with a change fee?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Same airline, same destination, same route, different time -OK to change.

Different location - you're usually going to pay allot of money.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
no charge for asking....but make sure there's availablity for what you want....
Old Sep 25, 2011, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Thumper
Same airline, same destination, same route, different time -OK to change.

Different location - you're usually going to pay allot of money.
Have you done this, as EXP, and had to pay? I flew BKK-HKG-SFO on Cathay and have SFO-MIA-SJU booked for February on this same first class one way award (67500 miles). I asked the EXP about changing t anohter US city and she said this could be worked out.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by mvoight
Have you done this, as EXP, and had to pay? I flew BKK-HKG-SFO on Cathay and have SFO-MIA-SJU booked for February on this same first class one way award (67500 miles). I asked the EXP about changing t anohter US city and she said this could be worked out.
In my experience as someone who flies over 100k BIS miles a year, with 2+ Million lifetime miles, there are numerous rules and fees that AA will be flexible with me on. I always look at those as "unpublished benefits", recognize them as treats and wouldn't promote them as informal rules.

So the answer to your question is yes, but personal experience is going to vary.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Thumper
In my experience as someone who flies over 100k BIS miles a year, with 2+ Million lifetime miles, there are numerous rules and fees that AA will be flexible with me on. I always look at those as "unpublished benefits", recognize them as treats and wouldn't promote them as informal rules.

So the answer to your question is yes, but personal experience is going to vary.
Your experience shouldn't have to vary.

AA has earlier (since last year or before) published a change fee waiver for EXP using miles from their accounts. In particular, change of origin or destination is free for EXP miles.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...servations.jsp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.