Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIH-LAX: No food in coach

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:53 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brp
While it's never a bad idea to plan ahead and bring one's own food, it's also very reasonable to expect that, after 6 years of offering this option, AA would have a clue about how to do it properly.

The sad part is AA's inability to make something as simple as this work properly and consistently.
Are we sure that this wasn't a one-time catering snafu. If there are no catering facilities in LIH, I don't think it's reasonable to expect AA to serve half-day-old (at least), double-catered, perishable premium BOB. It is reasonable that the no-expiration, survivalist-approved stuff should be available in reasonable quantity.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dayone
Are we sure that this wasn't a one-time catering snafu. If there are no catering facilities in LIH, I don't think it's reasonable to expect AA to serve half-day-old (at least), double-catered, perishable premium BOB. It is reasonable that the no-expiration, survivalist-approved stuff should be available in reasonable quantity.
This one incident notwithstanding (and it may have been a one off), I think that AA's BOB is not handled very well...at least the few times I've been in coach (none this year, thankfully) .

I just think that they can, in general, do a better job with this.

Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 2:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by HNL
The ag inspectors are at the TSA chekpoints and viewing the same scan images as the TSA clowns - just in a different spot.
Originally Posted by JY1024
The last time I was at LIH, the USDA inspectors had their own conveyor belt at the Gate 3/4 entrance, separate from TSA/security.
HNL AG is at TSA for entry into main terminal. They ended up with a couple of apple bananas from me in June

KOA and OGG integrate AG after TSA before boarding the plane.

LIH is limited, but I think AS may have developed a relationship to cater ex-LIH select fresh products so it is possible @:-)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:03 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brp
I think that AA's BOB is not handled very well...at least the few times I've been in coach (none this year, thankfully) .

I agree. AA could take a tip from some boutique hotels, which have replaced the minibar standards with healthier, shelf-stable items provided by smaller companies.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by brp
This one incident notwithstanding (and it may have been a one off), I think that AA's BOB is not handled very well...at least the few times I've been in coach (none this year, thankfully) .

Cheers.
I agree. Often there is no mention at all of any items available for purchase, even when they have them. DL has a standard announcement on every flight that describes the non-perishable options and prices. On the flights with perishable stuff they hand out a nice menu.

I prefer AA's sandwich and chips to anything DL offers but DL does a much better job selling their stuff.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Stripe
I agree. Often there is no mention at all of any items available for purchase, even when they have them. DL has a standard announcement on every flight that describes the non-perishable options and prices. On the flights with perishable stuff they hand out a nice menu.

I prefer AA's sandwich and chips to anything DL offers but DL does a much better job selling their stuff.
DL also stocks more fresh food so there is not as much of a chance of running out. I actually much prefer DL's BOB.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
I agree. AA could take a tip from some boutique hotels, which have replaced the minibar standards with healthier, shelf-stable items provided by smaller companies.
Perhaps there's a business opportunity here. Anyone interested in a snackbox with Anahola Granola, Hanalei poi, Kauai Kunana goat cheese, and a Right Slice pie-pop. Load a cart with Hamura Saimin's "Special"; it's five minutes from the airport, and in the take away containers its still hot an hour later. Mark's Place can do large-scale catering. One can dream....

FYI, my Dad complained about this last July, saying he would have paid the $10 for a sandwich. They responded by giving him more than double that value in miles. So it's either illogical economics or poor logistics.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Perhaps there's a business opportunity here. Anyone interested in a snackbox with Anahola Granola, Hanalei poi, Kauai Kunana goat cheese, and a Right Slice pie-pop.
You forgot the SPAM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:17 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Load a cart with Hamura Saimin's "Special"; it's five minutes from the airport, and in the take away containers its still hot an hour later.
I would gladly pay $15 for a box of Hamura Saimin's extra large "special," even if I was already riding in First. ^

And I'm sure it would fit AA's nutritional standards - i.e. every serving of food must have at least 300% daily recommended allowance of sodium.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Last time I departed HNL I had an apple taken away from me. The irony? The sticker on the apple said "product of Chile" and was probably imported via the US Mainland in the first place!
The fear is, even on food brought from California or South America, is that it could pick up Hawaii pests while there and get transported back California where it could damage its biggest business, agriculture.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Yes on the amount of sodium!

Originally Posted by JY1024
I would gladly pay $15 for a box of Hamura Saimin's extra large "special," even if I was already riding in First. ^

And I'm sure it would fit AA's nutritional standards - i.e. every serving of food must have at least 300% daily recommended allowance of sodium.
The airlines use the excuse that food doesn't have much taste at altitude so they add gobs of salt. It is not a good thing!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:39 pm

LIH - LAX no catering

On our flight from LAX over to LIH the 1st class FA mentioned to us that on the return we might want to pick up some "fresh" food as what they would be serving on the return would be catered from LA in the morning.

There are no catering companies in LIH -- so no airline is serving fresh food...if they are serving food at all.

Best to get a Bubba Burger in Kapaa before heading home.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by VIGONE
On our flight from LAX over to LIH the 1st class FA mentioned to us that on the return we might want to pick up some "fresh" food as what they would be serving on the return would be catered from LA in the morning.

There are no catering companies in LIH -- so no airline is serving fresh food...if they are serving food at all.

Best to get a Bubba Burger in Kapaa before heading home.
Yea, I just noticed the return flight out of LIH to LAX only has snack or brunch listed in F, despite departing at 3:50PM

What a pity, as I quite enjoy the AA Hawaiian meals. There goes my mango sundae
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:34 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Yea, I just noticed the return flight out of LIH to LAX only has snack or brunch listed in F, despite departing at 3:50PM

What a pity, as I quite enjoy the AA Hawaiian meals. There goes my mango sundae
Yup - cast away all your expectations of a nice Hawaiian Flagship Service meal.

For that afternoon LIH-LAX flight, I believe I had a full salad, choice of pasta or Uno's pizza, and "dessert" was a small pack of Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies. (Though with the salad course, I think I was offered the full bread basket, including King's sweet rolls. ^)
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by schwarm
While we had the regular buy-on-board options on the way out, there was absolutely no food at all offered on the return, LIH-LAX, afternoon flight 266. No food for purchase, no snacks, no nuts, nothing.

Is this the usual?
Not unusual in the least. It mirrors my experience from LIH in Aug in F. Here is my post from 8/13/11.

Learned the hard way this week that AA does not cater from LIH. The same plane goes LAX-LIH then turns without loading so much as a Coke.
Asked for Rum and diet Coke...Sorry no diet Coke,no Coke,no diet Pepsi but Pepsi was available.

Food menu (Snack)
Tropical mixed nuts
Garden Lasagna (blend of cheeses)
Uno's Spinach and Garlic Pizza (cheese)
Warm bread and a fresh fruit and cheese plate (Fresh fruit was 5 green grapes)Cheese was a foil wrapped triangle of brie with a cracker.

This was served on a 5+ hour flight over dinner hour. The GA in LIH made several announcements prior to boarding to Econ folks that it was a long flight and there was very limited BOB available and they should visit a take out restaurant in the terminal. Just wish he had warned F pax of the same limits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.