Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 88/89 ORD-BRU-ORD Going Away

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Bralo20

I'm not sure that would work. BRU isn't the biggest market in the EU, so I doubt it you can fill a 763 from BRU to MIA... I would love to see such flight of course however I won't see it happen. I'd rather see AA leaving BRU instead of starting MIA.
It would work in terms of filling the plane. Local market around 60,000 annual passengers, slightly larger than Chicago-Brussels, which is around 55,000 annually. Miami is the fourth largest U.S.-Brussels market after New York, LA and Washington.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
In that case I see another possibility: temporarily replacing a 777 w/a 763 for a couple Europe or South America flights due to available pilots since AA has more pilots qualified for the type. If they get to the point where they have to cut routes to get enough 763s then this again seems like a logical one. Anything being downgauged that you know of?
AA 86/87 has been downgauged from a 777 to a 767 effective October 1 (ORD-LHR) and October 2 (LHR-ORD)
Old Sep 18, 2011, 2:01 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by ty97
AA 86/87 has been downgauged from a 777 to a 767 effective October 1 (ORD-LHR) and October 2 (LHR-ORD)
That change appears to only last for a few weeks, though (followed by a very temporary change where the morning flight and its return go to a 777) and I'd bet with near certainty that this is a result of the loss of 777 pilots and the gap needing to be filled until more can be certified. However it doesn't appear to have any connection to the BRU cancellations.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 2:14 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
That change appears to only last for a few weeks, though (followed by a very temporary change where the morning flight and its return go to a 777) and I'd bet with near certainty that this is a result of the loss of 777 pilots and the gap needing to be filled until more can be certified. However it doesn't appear to have any connection to the BRU cancellations.
Twas just answering the question above asking if anyone had seen 777->767 downgagued. I'm flying 87 again in mid-October and noticed my seat map had changed to a 767. The 767 for this change had to come from somewhere and is probably the BRU 767 but you are correct that this doesn't imply that the LHR downgauge is in any way causal for the BRU cancellation.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by ty97
Twas just answering the question above asking if anyone had seen 777->767 downgagued. I'm flying 87 again in mid-October and noticed my seat map had changed to a 767. The 767 for this change had to come from somewhere and is probably the BRU 767 but you are correct that this doesn't imply that the LHR downgauge is in any way causal for the BRU cancellation.
No, this one didn't come from BRU since it returns to a 777 before BRU disappears. Pretty sure it's coming from LAX-MIA since 280 and its return go to a 757 for the month of October (was supposed to be a 763 until the 762 goes online mid-November).
Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
We are flying 86 in early November and the seat map reflects a 777.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:20 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Historically, how long does it usually take until AA officially cancels a flight and begins rescheduling passengers now that flights 88/89 have been zeroed out?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Historically, how long does it usually take until AA officially cancels a flight and begins rescheduling passengers now that flights 88/89 have been zeroed out?
In my experience this is typically the Sunday night batch run, so if that holds true this time, you should see this loaded tomorrow morning.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldengate
In my experience this is typically the Sunday night batch run, so if that holds true this time, you should see this loaded tomorrow morning.
No, the loads happen Saturday night/Sunday early morning, and this flight didn't make it on this cycle.

Unless they decide to do a manual adjustment to the schedule, expect your reservation to show the cancellation on Sunday 25 September, at which point you can ask for a reaccomodation (or change the one automagically made for you if it doesn't suit you) or a full refund of your ticket.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Sad to see this flight go but understandable from an economic viewpoint. There're 6 daily flights between ORD&LHR (4 AA, 2 BA). I guess my travel will take me more often to LHR. (although I don't really like this airport)

I would love to see a direct flight BRU-MIA but there're several options with good connections at this point through LHR. I don't know if a direct flight would be profitable.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kahuna1993
If anyone has a confirmed booking on AA 89/88 , insist on rule 240 as they cancelled the flight and have to offer you a rebooking on a flight which suits you , not AA ...
I think that this is not a good suggestion. Note that AA are not bound by "rule 240" (haven't been for a while). It is now only a suggestion,and they don't need to follow it. The only thing that they have to do is to refund your money if you don't like what they offer. They don't have to give you the flights you want.

AA have been pretty good, IME, in working with people in cases like this. Going in there insisting may result in their not being accommodating. As a result, this may not be the best advice.

Cheers.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you guys are going to throw around obsolete rules to the poor phone or gate agents, at least say "Rule 80" and not "Rule 240" as 240 was the domestic rule and 80 applied to international itineraries. Last I checked, BRU is not domestic.

More on AA's Rules 80/240 here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...ule_240_80.jsp
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SW, HH, MR, SPG, Choice
I have a one world reservation with a segment BRU-ORD. A schedule change connecting anywhere would be put me over the 16 segments allowed. Even if they allow me to change to BRU-NY-ORD and exceed 16 segments I do not want to connect anywhere because of the added time. Would they allow me to change my flight to arrive into another European city say Rome, Madrid, or Dublin and fly non stop to ORD? Anyone have experience on oneworld schedule change like this?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
I think that this is not a good suggestion. Note that AA are not bound by "rule 240" (haven't been for a while). It is now only a suggestion,and they don't need to follow it.
While the above is true for domestic carriage, which is now governed by the toothless "Conditions of Carriage" making the abovementioned (and linked) domestic "rule" 240 an AA procedure that is not contractually guaranteed, internationally AA is bound by a written tariff which thankfully still has a rule 80.

Last edited by hillrider; Sep 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Uh huh. And does that tariff dictate that AA must re-route on another carrier, or specifically another carrier of the passenger's choice? Not as I read it, it does not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.