Search

AA 88/89 ORD-BRU-ORD Going Away

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:27 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

-----

Last edited by MileageAddict; Sep 18, 2011 at 10:19 am
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
So this leaves the only year round ORD TATL destinations CDG, LHR, and MAN. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end for AA in ORD. Even with the recent gains AA is considerably smaller at ORD today compared to circa 2005-2006 with significantly more flights operated by Eagle. I'd imagine the Eagle/mainline ratio for AA at ORD closely mirror the UAX/UAL ratio but obviously AA sends mainline to cities UA doesn't and vice versa.

This really whittles down the IOR bid sheets. I bet the FAs aren't happy.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Really? Even though there's a Oneworld member airline hub at BUD?

The problem with BRU is the same as at FRA: They are both *A hubs and it's difficult for AA to capture much corporate traffic with one or two daily flights systemwide compared to the more frequent service offered by the competing alliance.
Obviously it's become more difficult for AA in the past couple years with SN Brussels joining Star and UA entering the route but clearly something isn't working out on AA's end if that leads them to discontinue a route they've served for 20+ years. With your logic, how can DL successfully operate a daily 763 on ATL-BRU or serve five cities in Germany-same number as CO (DUS, FRA, MUC, STR, and TXL) between ATL and JFK.

Originally Posted by Bralo20
Not exactly... They went from daily to 6x/week on the ORDBRU route. On EWRBRU they added a few seats (but most important a lot of premiumseats) with the introduction of the PMUA plane instead of the PMCO plane...
It's actually less premium capacity 8F/40C while the CO 777 has 50C and has a better on board experience. Additionally, the pilot crewrest ties up one of the Employee Class (F) seats so it's still less than CO. Not to mention the overall Continental BusinessFirst flatbed experience is superior to the United First or United Business. Furthermore Y reduces to 221 compared to 225 on the CO 777.

I suppose its okay since IAD-AMS/CDG are being operated by CO 757s ^. The IAD-based AFA Council 21 employees aren't happy since it significantly reduces the number of premium seats for NRSAs. Additionally, the PMCO 757 is staffed with 5 FAs on the CONTINENTAL seniority list compared to umpteen UA FAs on the outgoing 777s. Pilot crewrest on the CO 757 is a single Y seat ^ unlike the TWO C seats AA's pilots require. So fewer bid positions and fewer premium seats for non-revs

This is one of the few areas of the operation UA commands full control of as even the most restrictive collective bargaining agreements provides the workers no recourse when the company imposes changes like this.

Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
Any chance that ORD-BRU is being replaced by DFW-BRU?

That would remove the direct competition, open a new market and still provide for good connections.
BRU-MIA would be much better
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by AAbruflyer
Well as all of you can see my profiles you may send condolences over. I will accept EVIPS ;-)

If they cancel 88/89 believe me that the next one to go out will be the BUD run.
JFKBUD far exceeded expectations. Doing quite well and handily out-performing Delta.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Maybe it would do well for AA to consolidate to a PMCO model of 3 hubs + 1 focus city where they do well and focus on a service culture.

Dehub ORD and offer lots of frequencies and destinations from everyone else--might work
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MAH4546
JFKBUD far exceeded expectations. Doing quite well and handily out-performing Delta.
I wonder how ORD-HEL has been doing..? As it's only seasonal, it will be discontinued for the winter, but at least now it seems that AA will bring it back in April '12.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by demkr
Maybe it would do well for AA to consolidate to a PMCO model of 3 hubs + 1 focus city where they do well and focus on a service culture.

Dehub ORD and offer lots of frequencies and destinations from everyone else--might work
Bring it on.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by dnbglobal
That would be a shame. For me that seems to only leave JFK-BRU-JFK on AA 172/171 which are the much less comfortable 757s, whereas the ORD service was 767.
I thought I read somewhere that AA pilots at one time refused to fly the 75 TATL? anyway...........

if you want comfort, you can try Delta JFK to BRU
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by go4bal
Originally I was flying BRU - ORD - LAX in January 2012.

What is the best routing to ask for?

BRU - LHR - LAX on BA or BA/AA
BRU - MAD - LAX on IB

I am using an award ticket in Y and already had good exit row seats. What is the best routing that I could get good seats. I am AA PLT. I would like to avoid the BRU - JFK - LAX and a 8 hour flight on a 757 through JFK.

Thanks.
I would take the one with the least total travel time
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
I wonder how ORD-HEL has been doing..? As it's only seasonal, it will be discontinued for the winter, but at least now it seems that AA will bring it back in April '12.
It was packed when I took it last Sunday. Its not a measure of revenue of course although I paid $9K for my ticket.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Although BRU was usually a good city to find award space out of.
Clue number one as to why AA is dropping the route: every seat allocated to T, U or C inventory is one they don't expect to sell so might as well send the plane elsewhere.

And perhaps someone who knows more about AA and its ops than I: Are any 763s coming up on major mechanical maintenance? If one has to go out of service they have to choose something to cancel and what we currently see for summer schedules is too far out to know for sure whether it will return.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Clue number one as to why AA is dropping the route: every seat allocated to T, U or C inventory is one they don't expect to sell so might as well send the plane elsewhere.
Exactly. Really good award availability is often a good clue.

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
And perhaps someone who knows more about AA and its ops than I: Are any 763s coming up on major mechanical maintenance? If one has to go out of service they have to choose something to cancel and what we currently see for summer schedules is too far out to know for sure whether it will return.
Perhaps, but the more likely culprit is $3/gal fuel combined with the extraordinary number of AA pilots who retired a couple weeks ago (over 100, 3 or 4 times the typical monthly retirements) plus a possible 200 or more pilots who may retire in a couple more weeks. AA will not be able to fly all 47 777s this fall due to the number of retirements, especially if 200 additional pilots retire in October, so schedules will have to be cut.

Last week, AA announced sharp schedule reductions on slower travel days (Tue, Wed and Sat) for this fall and I expect to see more marginal flights cut. The economy is still in the toilet (meaning weak premium ticket demand) and fuel is still very expensive. Cuts like this one should be no surprise.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
If I were to have to bet, I'd bet that ORD-HEL's 2011 seasonal service this year will cover a substantially different number of days than any ORD-HEL service in 2012. That would include, if anything, a bet on a shorter season next year.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
It's actually less premium capacity 8F/40C while the CO 777 has 50C and has a better on board experience. Additionally, the pilot crewrest ties up one of the Employee Class (F) seats so it's still less than CO. Not to mention the overall Continental BusinessFirst flatbed experience is superior to the United First or United Business. Furthermore Y reduces to 221 compared to 225 on the CO 777.
I've flown with UA and CO in the past (mainly UA) and I prefer UA anytime above CO... Even the old reclinerseats on the 772 are more then decent enough to make the trip (actually I sleep better in the recliners but that's probably personal since I not sure any decent guy prefers the recliners above the new lie flats). I admit, the CO seat is a better then the old recliners but the new UA seat is nearly identical. UA's F is far more superior then CO's C... Even the food in C isn't to bad in UA (at least the little I ate since I don't like eating in a plane no matter which carrier or class).

BTW: The planes used on BRU have a F8/C49 layout and not the F8/C40 one, so in general it's indeed an increase in premium seats

And more important, you have economy plus at UA's fleet, something that CO at the moment lacks off. And trust me, it makes a difference when flying cattle in the back...

BRU-MIA would be much better
I'm not sure that would work. BRU isn't the biggest market in the EU, so I doubt it you can fill a 763 from BRU to MIA... I would love to see such flight of course however I won't see it happen. I'd rather see AA leaving BRU instead of starting MIA.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:11 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
[QUOTE=firstglobal;17126322]Correct, JFK-STL is going away 17 NOV 11 due to union contract rules, the same reason as LGA-BOS.

See: [URL="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16821065-post20.html"]http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16821065-post20.html[

Deleted
Old Sep 17, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by FWAAA
AA will not be able to fly all 47 777s this fall due to the number of retirements, especially if 200 additional pilots retire in October, so schedules will have to be cut.
In that case I see another possibility: temporarily replacing a 777 w/a 763 for a couple Europe or South America flights due to available pilots since AA has more pilots qualified for the type. If they get to the point where they have to cut routes to get enough 763s then this again seems like a logical one. Anything being downgauged that you know of?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.