Search

Made Gold Status, no idea why.....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:30 am
g50

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA LTP, Hyatt Globalist, FB Plat
Originally Posted by nall
Really, how does that work?
The Amex black card for $2500 a year gets you DL PM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Originally Posted by firstglobal
I guess it shouldn't be such a surprise. I mean, if $2500/year gets you Platinum on Delta then why shouldn't $450/year get you Gold on AA?
Trust me, we do not want to mimic the sky pesos program and their medallion program. Much like the medallions you would get for winning a 1st grade diorama contest, just about anyone can get some sort of Delta medallion with minimal effort.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally Posted by JDiver
I have that card, and didn't receive any notification of Gold status (and it certainly doesn't show in my AA account, thank goodness!)
If you really want Gold, I'd be happy to take your EXP status off your hands.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome FewMiles, a posting legend! Honored to see you hereabouts. As much as I respect you for your great and informative websites when they were "the" way to find out about AA, Challenges, etc. if I did that, would I respect myself in the morning?

The mystery is solved. ^ Wow, live and learn - for those without status, they get Gold as the way of being granted the perqs they address whilst flying AA!

Originally Posted by FewMiles
If you really want Gold, I'd be happy to take your EXP status off your hands.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Welcome FewMiles, a posting legend! Honored to see you hereabouts. As much as I respect you for your great and informative websites when they were "the" way to find out about AA, Challenges, etc. if I did that, would I respect myself in the morning?

The mystery is solved. ^ Wow, live and learn - for those without status, they get Gold as the way of being granted the perqs they address whilst flying AA!
what he said

I still have all those sites bookmarked LOL

welcome back
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:30 pm

Given this is not a published benefit, it's always possible this is simply a temporary fix until AA can update their systems for it.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa
The Citi Exec card gives AA Gold level benefits such as priority boarding, free checked bag, and business class check-in. It looks like complimentary AA Gold status is the way that Citibank and AA decided to implement these benefits.
This could actually increase, rather than decrease the number of AA elites after the new MM program launch.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors DIA
Given this is not a published benefit, it's always possible this is simply a temporary fix until AA can update their systems for it.
I'm thinking that you're on the right idea that it's a temporary thing maybe till the end of the year or simply for the first year because they are having trouble implementing things. I'd love to think that those of us without status will magically get Gold as long as we have the card, it just doesn't make sense. Why would AA/Citi advertise a credit card has having SOME of the benefits of Gold and then turn around and give everyone Gold? That would be one of the worst marketing decisions ever. It would be much more appealing, and easier, to say that this card gives you Gold.

Now, AA, if you are intentionally trying to keep the card numbers down by not advertising Gold and giving it to us anyway...thanks!!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If this really turns out to be full GLD status, plus an Admirals Club membership, all for a $450 fee, that becomes an extremely enticing value proposition for many.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
There's something really unfair about this-- the benefits of that card are so greatly diminished for elites relative to non-elites. As a PLT who is not interested in the A/C membership, I really can't justify the 450 to turn potential RDMs into MM RDMs, as much as I (previously) had my eye on the magic 2MM threshold (and am pretty upset it's now been put out of reach).

Now if they offered me a bump to EXP with the card, that would be a different story... (and no, I would NOT expect SWUs to be part of that bump.)...

That said, has it been confirmed that non-elites who magically found themselves with GLD status because of the CC are indeed able to successfully request an upgrade?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Interesting... is this the first CC that grants AA status?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The phrase "waiting for Godot" will be replaced in common language usage - at least among us - by "waiting for Jetstream" I suspect. Perhaps we will even end up calling it Jeststream if the new PSS* doesn't meet expectations.

One Forrester writer called the move to cloud-based Jetstream like "What AMR and HP are about to commence upon is the technology equivalent to a team of doctors simultaneously doing a brain transplant, heart transplant, and extensive corrective surgery. The systems that AMR will move to Jetstream literally represent the brains and heart of the airline. This is not an undertaking for the weak and squeamish. It’s a gutsy, but smart move for AMR to make."

(Trivia question of September: Exactly why did HP/EDS and AA settle on Jetstream for the name of the new system, given it was the name of the short-lived Lockheed 1649 "ultra-Constellation" and the old British Aerospace small turboprop? )

*Passenger Service System

Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
"Theirs not to reason why, / Theirs but to do and fly"
LOL ^
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Fascinating. I have a friend who just booked her first-ever milage run to meet me in SFO to requal for Gold. I'll mention this card to her. At first I thought the difference between the advertised card benefits and the way it was implemented by just granting Gold status would matter to her.

But now that I've considered it, she will consider the advertised benefits plus AC membership to be a great bargain. I can't think of any advertised Gold benefit that she would miss if it were deleted with an alternate IT implementation of the card benefits.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
As an EXP, if I could gift gold status to someone else and keep the rest of the bennies for myself, this would be a great value.

Guess that won't be happening anytime soon...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.