FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Advertising FAAil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1255679-advertising-faail.html)

jws026 Sep 4, 2011 11:11 pm

Advertising FAAil

Saw this while blowing through ORD the other day...

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/y...6/444a8ca6.jpg

^

Xero Sep 4, 2011 11:13 pm

Not only is Chicago misspelled, AA does not even fly to Chicago on its metal, unless they are talking about CX which AA will obviously codeshare. So to AA, Hong Kong is on the map.

justforfun Sep 4, 2011 11:13 pm

Looks like it's two panels that haven't properly been aligned over each other. The fail is probably the installers of the ad, and is not a misspelling.

jws026 Sep 4, 2011 11:16 pm

It was a co-branded advertisement with CX.

cynicAAl Sep 4, 2011 11:16 pm

Ii don't see the iissue.

Fly2Where Sep 4, 2011 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by justforfun (Post 17055645)
Looks like it's two panels that haven't properly been aligned over each other. The fail is probably the installers of the ad, and is not a misspelling.

^ Good Eye !

lovexylitol Sep 5, 2011 12:31 am

Wow. I would never noticed that ^^

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Sep 5, 2011 12:37 am

Is that very unAAmerican of them to misspell the city?

UALpremier Sep 5, 2011 12:38 am

Originally Posted by jws026 (Post 17055651)
It was a co-branded advertisement with CX.

yeah, its actually a CX ad that is co-branded with AAdvantage, not AA.

JDiver Sep 5, 2011 3:24 am

Exactly right - good catch! And, yes it is referring to the AA codeshare on CX. All AA can be accused of here is not having seamless advertising. :p

Azulcactus Sep 5, 2011 7:42 am

I agree. If you look close at the border between the solid white on top and the checkered pattern, below the "ii" you can see there is a slight vertical misalignment, so two panels are coming together (poorly) there. :)

FlyerTalker688786 Sep 5, 2011 12:18 pm

Joke only

It is actually aimed for Chinese market. You know how Chinese are fanantic about CHI (Eat in Chinese). So the AA people think to play with the word and come up with Chi-i-cago, which they really want to mean: Chi-IN-cago and welcome Chinese to visit Chicago and spend money here especially to eat.

:D

Gamecock Sep 5, 2011 12:31 pm

We see that this is an AAd for AADvantage. Perhaps it's hawking the bonus miles promo on CX?

JDiver Sep 5, 2011 1:13 pm

Wow, that is quite a stretch - like a DC-9-10 to MD-80! :D

Originally Posted by chongcao (Post 17058373)
It is actually aimed for Chinese market. You know how Chinese are fanantic about CHI (Eat in Chinese). So the AA people think to play with the word and come up with Chi-i-cago, which they really want to mean: Chi-IN-cago and welcome Chinese to visit Chicago and spend money here especially to eat.

:D

LGJ Sep 5, 2011 3:50 pm

LOL...reminds me of my Indian Visas, the seal they use to show issuing location says "CHIICAGO." Where is this at ORD?