Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants union file a grievance over AA's F turndown service

Flight attendants union file a grievance over AA's F turndown service

Old Sep 4, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xero
This attitude is what comes on when you hear announcements in flights saying from the FAs saying "we are primarily here for your safety". Perhaps they feel that wasting their time providing services impacts their ability to keep everyone safe.
Dont agree..The job of a flight attendant is for your saftey,service is secondary and passengers should keep that in the forefront of thier minds at all times..@:-)
Old Sep 4, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I love the survey question about whether the turndown disrupted the flow of first class service. What could possibly be the union's motivation for asking this question?

The whole "we're here primarily for your safety" bugs me as it's just sooo disingenuous. you signed up for a job that, SINCE THE BEGINNING OF COMMERCIAL AIR SERVICE, involves providing catering and hospitality services to passengers.
actually, when planes started transporting people, Baggage boys were made to fly on the planes to help assist with the passengers who got sick because of the low-flying altitudes.

Once air travel became more popular, airlines started requiring Stewards (and later) stewardesses to be Registered Nurses as the majority of passengers got sick due to the turbulence from the low flying altitudes.

As more airlines started up, airlines started to add extra amenities to 'enhance' the flying experience from it's competitors...then, the airline required FAs to be single, Female, 18-25(give or take) and slender. Then Unions came into play and enhanced the work-rules for the FAs (which the term changed in the late 60s when male FAs were once again hired) ah the times of the silver trays, caviar, and other great amenities that few remember of the 60s-70s and the "Coffee, Tea, or Me".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 'fight' between AA and the APFA regarding the 777 'agreement' was when AA decided to provide 1 less FA (11 FAs instead of 12 FAs)...saving the company money. The work-load remained the same, American added seats, however did not provide the 'extra' FA again. Hence the Presidential Grievance Agreement that was 'won' by the APFA.

I'm all for adding service to get pax to actually PAY for their seats. Only problem is, AA chose to go ahead with this added benefit without testing it further as they have in the past.

Several FAs have already told me, (regarding this 'turn-down' service) they were in the middle of running dinner out to pax when they were demanded (by other pax) to 'turn-down' their bed, so the FAs had to stop the service for the other pax and do this turn-down service.

This is just something that needs careful consideration...majority of FAs (I'm sure) won't mind it....it just hasn't been agreed upon by both parties, and as many FT'ers have asked, does this "Turn-down" service violate the 777-CBA?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Personally, I think its revealing that our resident FAs, AAFA, skylady , and sluggoaafa, haven't posted in this thread (yet). They usually are quick to defend, explain, or rationalize decisions from APFA or other commentary regarding FA behavior and service (or lack thereof). Perhaps it's because they primarily or elusively fly domestic trips that will not offer this service. While I certainly don't expect them (or any other poster) to actively monitor or post on FT threads it's just interesting that they have chosen not be party to this discussion.
I am now an International FA and have been out of the Country with minimal internet at my hotels. I've actually been trying to bite my tongue on a LOT of things/issues being said here as I read through the last 8 pages.

I'm saddened to run across a few of the FAs that have already been described in this thread. I have seen a few in my short time over on International and it's amazing how they don't want to 'work'. Last month I had arguments about how to do my service in FC with one FA who wasn't even working my cabin. (I did have her eat her own words though...she wanted me to use the cart for my FC service vs. hand-running the trays. She thought it was quicker using the cart, however I proved it was faster, and provided a more Professional service by hand-running)

A FA friend of mine flew on a couple of International carriers last year and was amazed at how many FAs were staffed on the planes, vs how many we staff on the same aircraft type. He mentioned that it appeared there were FAs all over the place, however there wasn't much difference in the 'service' aspect (food, beverages) of the long-haul flights.

I really can't argue and/or defend this thread as many here on FT already have spoken their opinions of the Unified FAs here in the US (or elsewhere) and of the APFA. (P highlighted as we are NOT associated with the AFA) No matter what I, AAFA, or Skylady say will change those opinions.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 4:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation Please read and consider...

Several posts from moderators have warned about personal attacks, ad hominem and disrespectful behavior, and of course, going off topic and inserting political discussion. These are not tolerated on FlyerTalk; whilst members can certainly disagree and members are encouraged to post their differing viewpoints respectfully, it is unacceptable on FT to smear any group with a wide brush and completely unacceptable to post personal or group attacks.

Given some have been unable to refrain from doing so even following warning posts, there have been post deletions and some disciplinary actions issued including suspensions of membership privileges. Suggestions: If you feel reactive, think before you post; if you post something others may find offensive or is an unintended attack, edit your post as soon as possible. If you feel like posting generally about unions, other nations, etc. please proceed to OMNI or OMNI P/R - it's not appropriate here.

Given we have a variety of perspectives, it is time for this thread to take a rest.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 4, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.