Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants union file a grievance over AA's F turndown service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendants union file a grievance over AA's F turndown service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Hertz 5*, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
It's a bilateral agreement between labor/management and this is THEIR process. It's a two way street. Assumptions are often poorly made when all the information is lacking.
This, of course, is true; but that ghastly survey puts any case the FAs might have in a very unfavorable light.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I say we have an entrepreneurial FTer create a new website dedicated to uploading images of all the FAs we encounter sitting in their jumpseats near 1L reading US Weekly. How's THAT for a survey!

I mean, I have no problem with FAs taking a break so long as it does not compromise service standards. We all take breaks at work (or should anyways). But this grievance is a joke and if the AFA is going to create some ridiculous survey to find out how much extra 'work' is involved, they should really have the other side of the situation publicized much in the same way.

I feel bad for the FAs that actually do want to make a difference and realize the value in improving a product to the standards of a true international carrier.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Xero
The turndown service are things like giving pajamas in F which there are threads about.

Most of the time, AA FAs are just sitting down either chatting loudly or reading.
coming from AA, this doesnt suprise me one bit.

god forbid you take an extra 20 minutes of chat time away from the AA FA's to make the customer happy, and you get the union crying like little school girls. doesn't surprise me. Way to go.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by emma dog
Sluggo and other AA employees, sorry but your union is way off base from a customer service perspective. While I'm sure a flight attendant who is focused on customer satisfaction works hard throughout a flight for passenger satisfaction, it only takes a few bad apples to ruin the reputation for all. After my bad F experience from PEK-ORD in January, I swore off F on AA... the changes management are trying to make actually increased my interest in flying international F again on AA.

Yeah, no doubt. It's ironic, but this news really ticks me off and makes me far less likely to buy a ticket on AA.

Rev are people paying for tickets, including the use of upgrades and FF miles. Non-rev are airline employees and other people whose tickets are comped by AA for whatever reason.

Presumably, a non-rev should not expect the same level of service.
Do FA's normally have information on what fare bucket you booked under? (i.e. if you are using an award/upgrade?) I have seen the manifest a few times and in one instance on QF IIRC it clearly showed your OW status and your fare bucket.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by ffdom
If this were an April fools I'm not sure I'd believe it...

I rarely have any complaint with AA FAs - they are almost always polite, friendly and effective. Compared to my UA experiences, they are positively delightful. But you cannot be a serious international airline and question the addition of an extremely modest service improvement that may net some revenue, for the sake of FAs spending a few minutes with each passenger. Really. If we have gotten to this, I don't think there's much hope.
+1

This sort of thing is exactly why I fly CX across the pond and not AA.

Is there no one in the union who can comprehend this?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Well, I'm going to go against the grain here.

I am fully capable of making up a bed myself. This isn't a hotel. This isn't even a real bed. Just hand me the packaged duvet, sheets and pillow and I can lay them out myself. I've done it before and I can do it again. I do not expect the FA to be a chambermaid.

Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Well, I'm going to go against the grain here.

I am fully capable of making up a bed myself. This isn't a hotel. This isn't even a real bed. Just hand me the packaged duvet, sheets and pillow and I can lay them out myself. I've done it before and I can do it again. I do not expect the FA to be a chambermaid.

I'm sure the AA FAs will have absolutely no problem letting you make your own bed. If you let them, they may even whine to you about the other passengers in F who expect the FAs to do their job according to company policies and industry standards.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
The knee-jerk anti-union sentiments expressed on FlyerTalk are really incredible, to me.

There are good unions. There are bad unions. There are unions that operate to secure sound wages, reasonable hours and safe working conditions for their members. And there are unions that operate solely for the benefit of their elected officers.

I'm sorry that there are so many people on this board who are more than willing to trash the FA's union, without any actual knowledge of the underlying circumstances of this grievance, the bargaining history that led to it, or any other actual facts.

I have the same reaction to this thread that I have to passengers who trot their status out in a DYKWIA manner. You're a customer of an airline. You might reward that airline with your loyalty, but there are people who work for that airline who deserve to be treated and compensated fairly at work. If their employer made a deal with them, that's the deal. If you don't like the way the airline is running its business, or you don't like the product that they're giving you, you can take your business elsewhere. I can promise you that Arpey has more to do with the quality of your experience as a customer than any of the unions that represent AA employees do.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by grumpymonkey
The knee-jerk anti-union sentiments expressed on FlyerTalk are really incredible, to me.

There are good unions. There are bad unions. There are unions that operate to secure sound wages, reasonable hours and safe working conditions for their members. And there are unions that operate solely for the benefit of their elected officers.

I'm sorry that there are so many people on this board who are more than willing to trash the FA's union, without any actual knowledge of the underlying circumstances of this grievance, the bargaining history that led to it, or any other actual facts.

I have the same reaction to this thread that I have to passengers who trot their status out in a DYKWIA manner. You're a customer of an airline. You might reward that airline with your loyalty, but there are people who work for that airline who deserve to be treated and compensated fairly at work. If their employer made a deal with them, that's the deal. If you don't like the way the airline is running its business, or you don't like the product that they're giving you, you can take your business elsewhere. I can promise you that Arpey has more to do with the quality of your experience as a customer than any of the unions that represent AA employees do.
That's right, most of us have never flown AA before. That's right, most of us have not spent substantive amount of flight time on AA planes. That's right, most of us don't have enough flying experience on a variety of airlines to make a fair assessment of AA's premium product. That's right, most of us are completely unaware of AA's recent labor history despite having threads dedicated to it on FT and having AA FAs regularly posting on the subject.

Honestly, in accusing many of us having a knee-jerk reaction, you yourself have had a knee-jerk reaction on the topic and the participants in this thread.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Allocating blame between parties is always tricky. I believe in the FAs own posting they said they were not sure or not if the new service violated the agreement. They said more research was needed.

I am not sure what this has to do with DYKWIAs. This is in fact has to do with the current contract situation.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 6:57 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself, even if I was willing to invest much time in tilting at the anti-union windmill here.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
This really is a new low for the APFA. They pulled the same nonsense when AA announced the pillows sales in February 2010 which began in May 2010 and have since been discontinued. It's unfortunate of the APFA for resisting this new service and amenity particularly since premium customers bring revenue that could fund their contact negotiation demands.

Personally, I think its revealing that our resident FAs, AAFA, skylady , and sluggoaafa, haven't posted in this thread (yet). They usually are quick to defend, explain, or rationalize decisions from APFA or other commentary regarding FA behavior and service (or lack thereof). Perhaps it's because they primarily or elusively fly domestic trips that will not offer this service. While I certainly don't expect them (or any other poster) to actively monitor or post on FT threads it's just interesting that they have chosen not be party to this discussion. Again just my observation.

Even as a union critic (a quick review of my FT post history will validate this) I believe union FAs are capable of providing great service including those that offer turn-down service and pajamas such as BA, CX, and JL. With that said, it's not fair to paint all union FAs with the same brush. To me this is nothing more than an example of the fact that a) AA will never be able to offering a true International F product b) AA management and APFA do not have a relationship that is conducive of cooperation and promotes customer service, efficiency, or productivity. I don't think either of the above posts will come as a shocker to anyone reading this.

Posters in this thread have overwhelmingly shown their distaste for the APFA and the service offered by AA FAs on long haul international flights. Some AA FAs need a real attitude adjustment and reconsideration of their profession if they expect revenue customers to move so they have a window seat to rest either while on-duty or during scheduled rest periods. Finally, I just emailed my Dad and told him to insist the FAs prepare his bed on his JFK-LHR flight next week in F. AA is marketing this product to passengers and much like the on-board pillow and Heathrow Express tickets they should be offered to customers accordingly.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 7:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Copilot23
There are still many FA's on furlough. My suggestion, if the current FA's have an issue with providing the service, then maybe they can consider moving aside so those out of work can be given the chance to decide if they want to fulfill the job description standard "other duties as assigned." This is a good example of how collective bargaining work rules stymie innovation and efficiency.
+1 Specifically, this internal push does nothing to further AMR's financial position. The concept of competition seems to be lost on the APFA regarding this specific move on their part. Ultimately, an airline is a service industry, this also seems to be lost on them.

The facts are AMR is bleeding cash, and this is in large part because of labor expenses relative to its competitors. Rather than bicker about duvets and PJs for premium passangers, the APFA would probably benefit more from presenting some productivity increasing options. If not, a BK judge is likely to do that for them.

Last edited by UALpremier; Sep 3, 2011 at 10:43 pm
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
....."I'm sorry that there are so many people on this board who are more than willing to trash the FA's union, without any actual knowledge of the underlying circumstances of this grievance, the bargaining history that led to it, or any other actual facts.

I have the same reaction to this thread that I have to passengers who trot their status out in a DYKWIA manner. You're a customer of an airline. You might reward that airline with your loyalty, but there are people who work for that airline who deserve to be treated and compensated fairly at work."

Oy this is not, I'm afraid a valid argument. I would never "trot [my] status in a DYKWIA status". I previously worked for a labor union and completely get that employees should be treated fairly. I go out of my way to thank attentive flight attendants. Its just the right thing to do.

But it's FAs job to be service-oriented and I've flown so many other airlines [with an employer/client paying thousands of dollars for those flights in paid F or paid J] to know that a few minutes on a turn-down service does not in any way, ANY way, possibly under ANY scenario constitute excessive workload. Indeed suggesting such a thing suggests a complete disregard for the needs of passengers and the competitive environment. Customers have a choice - for LAX-DEL I can fly CO, CX, SQ, BA and many others. I **want** to choose AA. But this kind of debate over a few minutes per passenger of effort, makes me just want to take my business elsewhere.

The sad thing was that my DEL-ORD flight where the FAs sleep needs were paramount over the needs of passengers was my 2MM flight on AA. (Once she woke up, the purser at the end of flight did shake my hand when I told her that, as I was exiting the plane, it was my 2MM flight.) I had an AA CC just briefly. so almost all those miles (I would guess 1.8M) were done thru AA or OW paid premium travel.

I switched from UA (where I have 799k BIS miles) to enjoy AA for the last 8 years. I feel real affinity for AA and get a warm fuzzy feel when on board, really. But having to even debate whether giving me a mattress pad and PJs is a reasonable imposition on FAs is just ridiculous. This isn't about employee rights or the demands of a (completely crappy) management, its about basic customer service and trying to have a competitive product.

Last edited by ffdom; Sep 3, 2011 at 8:49 pm
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Attributions of "knee-jerk" anything, DYKWIA attitudes etc. are verging into ad hominem. If this continues, posts will be deleted and/or the thread will be closed. Not a warning, just the facts. /Moderator

From the TOS:

Personal Attacks - link to this guideline
We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with another member, challenge the opinion or idea - not the person. Personal attacks, insults and "flaming" will not be tolerated and will be removed, and the violator will be subject to disciplinary action. You may challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Attacks against groups or classes of job holders (such as Transportation Security Administration employees) will not be tolerated.

Do not retaliate or respond to a personal attack. Too often, when an initial attack is made, others join the fray and, instead of becoming part of the solution, become part of the problem. Do not accuse others of being trolls. Should there be members whose posts you don't care to read, you can put them on your ignore list. To do that, click on MyFlyerTalk and then on Edit Ignore List in the Settings & Options section on the left-hand side of the page. Enter the name of a FlyerTalk member in the Add a Member to Your List field. Click the Okay button, then click the Save Changes button.

If you feel that you are being attacked or harassed, contact a moderator.

Respect our Diversity - ="http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#q67" to this guideline
FlyerTalk members come from all walks of life and all parts of the world. We are as diverse in our makeup as we are alike in our passion for frequent flyer programs. Because we all bring a unique perspective to the forum, our collective experience is broadened, and we gain new insights.

Our diversity demands that we respect each other. Due to the inherent constraints of the Internet, humor, sarcasm, language and slang can be easily misinterpreted - especially when crossing cultural boundaries.

When posting a message, pay extra care to how it might be interpreted. And when you come across a post that offends you, read it with an eye toward giving the poster the benefit of the doubt.

If you have an issue with a post, please contact the member privately or contact a moderator. Do not make a situation worse by publicly responding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.