Buying 50k miles?

Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Buying 50k miles?

With the 50k mile offer expiring today, how good a value is it for $1000?

I want to get closer to Lifetime Status but don't want to throw money away.

Is 2 cents a mile a decent deal?

Is there any credit card which I should use to get more pts in buying it (AA?)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: AA:1MM
you're forgetting about the taxes when you compute it to 2c/mile.

but I would only do it if
(a) it guaranteed a push to the next MM [in my case that would be 2MM]
AND
(b) I had $1000 lying around idle OR i had a shortage of RDM and intended to use the miles I was paying for.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, if you use SPG and transfer points (soon), or you use an AAdvantage miles earning card, you will earn ~1,000 more miles. You are purchasing the limit of miles allowed in one year, iirc, 40k, and earning a 10k bonus. If you need the RDM for MM or other purposes to fulfill a goal, go for it; if you do not, it's merely the appearance of a vanishing and attractive offer. (And if you need miles consider the 3x-4x miles multiplier when you next fly, though it is mot quite as good a deal.)
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Yes, if you use SPG and transfer points (soon), or you use an AAdvantage miles earning card, you will earn ~1,000 more miles. You are purchasing the limit of miles allowed in one year, iirc, 40k, and earning a 10k bonus. If you need the RDM for MM or other purposes to fulfill a goal, go for it; if you do not, it's merely the appearance of a vanishing and attractive offer. (And if you need miles consider the 3x-4x miles multiplier when you next fly, though it is mot quite as good a deal.)
Hm.. I hadn't thought about the extra 1K miles from AA because of the Citi card. In fact, if you have the new Executive card, wouldn't this count as 2K miles since its 2 miles for everything you spend on AA.com?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I'm going to take "AAdvantage" of this deal today, here's how / why...

I was recently approved for my 2nd CitiBiz card with a 50k miles bonus after $2k in spend. So I buy the 40k +10k bonus for $1030, cover half of my req. spend to get the 50k Citi bonus, and get 1030 miles in the process. TOTAL: 101,030 miles. Since I'm going to be spending another $970 on every day stuff, you could say that this complete transaction nets me a CPM of $0.01 - not bad. This will also put me over 500K LTM, making the march to 1M a little easier.

I can make good use of the 50k miles purchased with an AAward ticket, as well. Since we're entering off-peak season, 50k miles can really stretch your trips!

Just my take on all this. YMMV, of course.

Last edited by econometrics; Aug 31, 2011 at 8:38 am Reason: Added note about AAward tickets.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Originally Posted by living near shamu
Hm.. I hadn't thought about the extra 1K miles from AA because of the Citi card. In fact, if you have the new Executive card, wouldn't this count as 2K miles since its 2 miles for everything you spend on AA.com?
I don't think this purchase shows up from aa.com. I think mine showed up from points.com, so it might not get you the 2X.

Dan
Old Aug 31, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: AA LTP, Delta Gold
I suppose this depends on how much you value miles and how much $1,000 is to you.

Personally, I bought the miles. I have no problem using up miles when I have them (among other things, my sister likes to use them for me ) and it helped me get over 2 million prior to the deadline.

It's certainly not a rip off or anything, if that is what you are asking.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:04 am

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Anybody tried buying miles today? After entering my CC info, I get "unexpected error, please restart session."

Edit: Works now.

Last edited by Jumpcut; Aug 31, 2011 at 11:19 am Reason: Update
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No, and it's not 2 miles : $1 for everything you spend on aa.com.

Originally Posted by Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® T&Cs

Earn 2 American Airlines AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases

You will earn two American Airlines AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible purchases made with your Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® credit card for items billed by American Airlines as merchant of record. Products or services that do not qualify are car rentals, hotel reservations, American Airlines VacationSM packages, purchases of American Airlines AAdvantage® miles, duty-free purchases and AA CargoSMproducts and services. AAdvantage® bonus miles will be posted to your AAdvantage® account 8-10 weeks after a qualifying purchase.

Originally Posted by living near shamu
Old Aug 31, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I just bought 40K+10K for $1,105 detailed as follows.

Miles Purchased: 40,000
Total Cost: $1,000.00 USD
Federal Excise Tax: $75.00 USD
Processing Fee: $30.00 USD
Total (billed to your credit card):$1,105.00 USD

Am I only one who was charged $75 Federal Excise Tax
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:36 pm

i was going to buy as well, but i see it is charging me a $75 excise tax fee as well. Whats the deal? Can i get that removed?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by hiijacker
i was going to buy as well, but i see it is charging me a $75 excise tax fee as well.
Whats the deal? Can i get that removed?
I don't see how.
Unless you can get congress to "remove" (expire) it again.
That is the standard 7.5%

Last edited by MrHalliday; Sep 3, 2011 at 9:29 pm
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
I don't see how.
Unless you can get congress to remove it again.

That is the standard 7.5%
Congress did not remove it - They let it expired when they were squabbling ... Then they re-instated it.

I transferred boatload of AMEX MR pts to CO during that "Tax Holiday".
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Can you buy miles with VDB vouchers?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Life Gold 1 MM, Flying Blue Silver, Marriott Life Plt, Hilton Gld
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I just bought 40K+10K for $1,105 detailed as follows.

Total (billed to your credit card):$1,105.00 USD

Am I only one who was charged $75 Federal Excise Tax
Again we up across the border aren't so lucky!

HST (Canadian Residents Only):
GST Registration No. 86696 5676 RT0001
$133.90 USD

Total (billed to your credit card):* $1,238.90 USD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.