Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Miles transfers to Hilton HHonors to end Aug 2011 - exception ended Jul 2012

AA Miles transfers to Hilton HHonors to end Aug 2011 - exception ended Jul 2012

 
Old Aug 12, 11, 7:40 am
  #1  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,812
AA Miles transfers to Hilton HHonors to end Aug 2011 - exception ended Jul 2012

According to our Community Director (who does use Hilton - we ran into each other at the Hilton Bucharest!) the opportunity to transfer AA miles to HH is coming to an end. You can read the thread on the Hilton HHonors Forum, or merely understand from the excerpts below:

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Have we lost the ability to move AA miles to Hilton? I only see moving Hilton points to AA miles here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ltonHotels.jsp

And the only option I see on the redeemaamiles.com site is to move AA miles to Diners Club.

Further, when I went to http://webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/, it only showed conversion via Diners Club.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I just spoke to AA. The ability to transfer is on its way out, though it can be done for a brief while yet at redeemaamiles.points.com. The reason that AA is discontinuing it is because it now offers the ability to directly book Hilton hotels using points on the Hilton site.
Originally Posted by azepine00
In case you want to transfer before it's over - it's 90K per transfer max and 150K yearly max. $30 fee.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 12, 11 at 1:34 pm Reason: change slightly for thread
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 12, 11, 10:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 395
Can someone help me determine if the AA to HH transfer is a good deal? Per the HH Forum FAQ HIlton points are worth about 0.6 to 0.7 cpp while the general consensus here is that AA miles are worth between 1.0 and 2.0 cpm. I have many AA miles and I've historically had trouble spending them as I usually end up right around the mark to requalify for platinum each year. I am relatively new to HH but have managed to accumulate a decent amount of points with them so far. I qualified on base points for diamond this year but am unlikely to qualify next year.

I am tempted to do the transfer and just stay at hiltons on points next year instead of paid stays while enjoying the diamond status I earned this year. I'm not sure if I am just tempted to do the transfer from my (and my partners) AA account just because the program might be ending or if this is actually a good deal in my situation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
ScreenGuy is offline  
Old Aug 12, 11, 10:49 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,192
Originally Posted by ScreenGuy View Post
I have many AA miles and I've historically had trouble spending them as I usually end up right around the mark to requalify for platinum each year.
From that, it's not clear if you actually have surplus AA miles, although it does appear you have balanced AA spending/earning/Plat requal. If you don't have surplus miles, don't do it. (This from an AA million-miler and HHonors Diamond.)
3Cforme is offline  
Old Aug 12, 11, 10:52 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, California
Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Posts: 364
Originally Posted by ScreenGuy View Post
Can someone help me determine if the AA to HH transfer is a good deal? Per the HH Forum FAQ HIlton points are worth about 0.6 to 0.7 cpp while the general consensus here is that AA miles are worth between 1.0 and 2.0 cpm. I have many AA miles and I've historically had trouble spending them as I usually end up right around the mark to requalify for platinum each year. I am relatively new to HH but have managed to accumulate a decent amount of points with them so far. I qualified on base points for diamond this year but am unlikely to qualify next year.

I am tempted to do the transfer and just stay at hiltons on points next year instead of paid stays while enjoying the diamond status I earned this year. I'm not sure if I am just tempted to do the transfer from my (and my partners) AA account just because the program might be ending or if this is actually a good deal in my situation.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It really depends on what you use your miles and points for. If you tend to fly coach then transferring to Hilton is not a bad idea. Or if you plan an expensive stay in the maldives or bora bora, europe ...etc then it still might be worth it.

Who do you travel with?
If you go on vacation with the Mrs. then you can always use your miles for her and buy your ticket.

To sum up in my opinion if you like business/first class that keep miles.
Otherwise you can transfer to Hilton since you might have an easier time burning the point there.
FOX85 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:31 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,297
Another way to look at this is to compare means of replenishing the miles/points through your normal credit card charges. Here is my analysis; please tell me if I have miscalculated. I was considering transferring 60,000 AA miles in exchange for 100,000 HH points. Instead, I have decided to switch some of my normal credit card spend to my HH amex; this only works if you are not in a rush for the points. Charging just $16,667 on groceries, gas, cellphones and cable gives me 100,000 HH points (6 points to the dollar). If I charged that on my Citi Visa that is currently signed up for a 1.5 mile/$ promotion (assuming I could charge that much on those items before the promotion expires), that would only give me 25,000 AA miles. (Charged to my Starwood AmX, even assuming the 1.2 transfer rate, it would only give me 20,000 miles.) [I could also charge the same $16,667 to the Premier AmX Gold for 3x points and get 50,000 membership reward points; I am new to MR's and have to look into what that equates to.] So, in addition to your mileage vs hotel point use needs and your flight patterns and hotel stay patterns, your credit card usage can (should?) be considered. Also, of course, available credit card bonuses can tip the balance - see the threads on the current HH Amex and Citi cards, for example.
Ord Liza is offline  
Old Aug 12, 11, 11:36 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Posts: 395
Thanks for the responses. I've added some more detail below.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
From that, it's not clear if you actually have surplus AA miles, although it does appear you have balanced AA spending/earning/Plat requal. If you don't have surplus miles, don't do it. (This from an AA million-miler and HHonors Diamond.)
I have surplus AA miles as I have been earning them with little availability to spend them. I generally fly just over 50k BIS miles each year so I need to pay for my flights in order to maintain status. As I live outside of the US most of the time, having lounge access for my shorthaul OneWorld flights is more benefitial than trading in miles for my longhaul flights and losing status. Reaching MM status is also a factor in paying for flights vs. redeeming miles (which I should obtain this year).

Originally Posted by FOX85 View Post
It really depends on what you use your miles and points for. If you tend to fly coach then transferring to Hilton is not a bad idea. Or if you plan an expensive stay in the maldives or bora bora, europe ...etc then it still might be worth it.

Who do you travel with?
If you go on vacation with the Mrs. then you can always use your miles for her and buy your ticket.

To sum up in my opinion if you like business/first class that keep miles.
Otherwise you can transfer to Hilton since you might have an easier time burning the point there.
The problem is that I never really get to use my miles/points. As noted above, I find it difficult to redeem AA miles for flights because I need to keep paying for flights to maintain status each year. I do try to use miles to upgrade when flying full fare economy, but this only happens a few times each year (and I've actually missed the upgrade all but one time!). I actually went to the Maldives recently and when planning the trip I was considering whether to transfer AA miles (at the previous 1:2 rate) or to pay for the hotel. In the end, because of Hilton's generous 4x points Q1 promotion it ended up much better for me to pay for the stay than redeem (this stay is partially the reason I am now Diamond and have a bunch of HH points).

Recently I've come to the realization that I can't keep sitting on all of these miles/points. That's why I thought about the potential scenario of building up HH as much as possible and then redeeming at Hilton for the majority of my personal hotel stays next year. The only problem with this is it would most likely leave me with no HH status for 2013 (unless I manage to have so many award stays I get silver/gold).

Everytime I look at my account balances I picture all of the great 'free' trips I can now take, but whenever these trips seem to come up, I end up paying out of pocket either to maintain status or because I find a deal (either $ or bonus points). The example this year was my Maldives trip where I ended up paying for for BA flights because they were pretty cheap, I needed the EQM, and the RDM earned is good on long flights and also the hotel because it was fairly inexpensive (for the Maldives) and they had the great points promo! That's why I'm trying to force myself to start spending these points/miles before they get devalued. The Mrs. is in the same boat.

Last edited by ScreenGuy; Aug 12, 11 at 11:42 am
ScreenGuy is offline  
Old Aug 12, 11, 12:19 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6
This is really disappointing. I signed up for both of the 75k Citi AA cards with the plan of transferring 150k AA miles to 250k HHonors points to use for my honeymoon in Bora Bora next year. I completed the spending requirements on both cards this month, now just waiting for the statements to close so that I can get the miles. One of the statements will close on 8/14 and the other on 8/20.

What are the chances that I get the miles in time to transfer before they shut this down?
zowiebowie is offline  
Old Aug 12, 11, 1:04 pm
  #8  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,812
It's already shut down except for the "back door" mentioned above - and we have no idea when they might shut that.

Originally Posted by zowiebowie View Post
This is really disappointing. I signed up for both of the 75k Citi AA cards with the plan of transferring 150k AA miles to 250k HHonors points to use for my honeymoon in Bora Bora next year. I completed the spending requirements on both cards this month, now just waiting for the statements to close so that I can get the miles. One of the statements will close on 8/14 and the other on 8/20.

What are the chances that I get the miles in time to transfer before they shut this down?
As for others' questions about calculations, it depends on which "currency" you use and value most: with Hilton, one could spend 145,000 points (AXON7N award, saving 55,000 points,) for a four day spend at, say, Hilton Arc de Triomphe King Guest Room Plus at Bastille Day, when it could have cost something like 1,800 EUR; with the new AA scheme, one would have to pay 340,000 AA miles (a travesty!) if one didn't have the HH points or 1,800 EUR ($2,563 at today's rates). OTOH, 100-125,000 AA miles... well, one just has to do the calculations and decide - and quickly.

Except... someone on the HH Forum checked the Hilton ADT and it is NOT available with AAdvantage miles!

(I play both programs, and the stay was nice, as they upgraded us nicely - Lady JDiver's birthday is the day before Bastille Day.)

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 12, 11 at 1:25 pm Reason: add Hilton ADT note
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 14, 11, 6:29 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicagoland, IL, USA
Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,009
My suggestion is to find someone who wants an AA redemption and who has HH points (or others) he/she can redeem for you for one of your trips.

You will lose substantial value doing a transfer to your own account. I have over a million HH points and I value them less than the .6-.7 cents you quote.

60 AA > 100 HH is a serious haircut; I'd say about 60% loss.
toomanybooks is offline  
Old Aug 27, 11, 7:28 am
  #10  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,812
The http://redeemaamiles.points.com seems to still work as of SanDiego1K's post in the obsolete thread (~6:00 PM / 1800 hrs Friday 26 Aug 2011). (Must sign in first, then mouse over the options to reveal AA -> HH.)


Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
It's still on the backdoor route: redeemaamiles.points.com
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 28, 11, 10:43 pm
  #11  
nrr
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: jfk area
Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,380
booking Hilton Zurich Airport using aa miles problem

If I try to book Hilton Zurich Airport hotel (on aa.com) as a paid (not using miles) transaction, it displays the price and allows me to proceed with the booking (at a very high price IMHO).
If I want to use miles, the Hilton ZA hotel is NOT one of the hotels listed.
A year ago I was able to do a direct transfer of aa miles to Hilton, and then redeem the miles on www.Hilton.com.
From some of the posts in this thread, the aa-->hilton is about to end; and my understanding is that you should be able to book the hotel (using miles) directly on aa.com, which is not the case from my note in paragraph 2.
[My only "interest" in Hilton is that via aa I'm Gold in their system, which does have some nice perks.]
nrr is online now  
Old Aug 29, 11, 9:10 am
  #12  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,625
Originally Posted by nrr View Post
and my understanding is that you should be able to book the hotel (using miles) directly on aa.com, which is not the case from my note in paragraph 2.
This understanding is not correct, and a main reason for the problem. It seems that not all points-bookable hotels (via HHonors) are points-bookable via aa.com. Therein lies the rub.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Nov 22, 11, 11:06 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New York City, United States.
Posts: 2,449
what if my brother with a diffrent last name wants to give me his AA miles to my Hhon

what if my brother with a diffrent last name wants to give me his AA miles to my Hhonors accocount?
Will they credit to the account number listed , providing the pin is listed?


Or will they actually match the names?

What is the current policy.

Thanks.

For instance , if I know Amex allows diffrent names and will put the points to the designated account number.
writetorich is offline  
Old Jan 15, 12, 11:22 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,142
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The http://redeemaamiles.points.com seems to still work as of SanDiego1K's post in the obsolete thread (~6:00 PM / 1800 hrs Friday 26 Aug 2011). (Must sign in first, then mouse over the options to reveal AA -> HH.)
It's now 2012, with a new calendar limit on transfers, and it's still working. I just tranferred 90k AA to 150k HH on Fri, it showed up (as deducted) in my AA account yesterday (Sat), and showed up in my HH account today (Sun).
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jan 15, 12, 11:56 am
  #15  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,812
Great news! Thanks for posting the "back door" still is open.

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
It's now 2012, with a new calendar limit on transfers, and it's still working. I just tranferred 90k AA to 150k HH on Fri, it showed up (as deducted) in my AA account yesterday (Sat), and showed up in my HH account today (Sun).
JDiver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: