FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   763 mia-pap? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1244964-763-mia-pap.html)

Alpha Aug 6, 2011 1:04 am

763 mia-pap?

I have a business trip to MIA and GNV coming up and was thinking about doing a quick side trip to PAP or SDQ for a day or two. I was checking out flights and saw that there's a 763 scheduled for MIA-PAP. Is this normal?

sweet-kom Aug 6, 2011 6:55 am

Never did the SDQ route however, it is nothing unusual for the PAP segment. Most of the times, it is a full flight in coach with excellent chances of getting your upgrades cleared.

TexasPastor Aug 6, 2011 7:29 am

Originally Posted by sweet-kom (Post 16870201)
Never did the SDQ route however, it is nothing unusual for the PAP segment. Most of the times, it is a full flight in coach with excellent chances of getting your upgrades cleared.

Yep. And not sure if MIA is your only option, but they also do a FLL-PAP about the same time.

PAP is a wreck though. I wouldn't go unless I had to. Our church has done some relief work down there. It's a mess.

Some good folks from FT even threw in soon-to-be-expiring SWU's for one of our teams. Awesome.

Phasers Aug 6, 2011 8:25 am

Yeah the 763 is usually one that has continued on from another destination.

A couple years back, I flew DFW-MIA-PAP, and even though it was a 'connection' in MIA, we ended up boarding the same 763 that we left dallas on. Even had the same seats too which was nice :)

RDUflyer2 Aug 6, 2011 9:11 am

I travel several times a year to PAP and depending on the time of the day AA flies 763, 757 or 738. Economy is usually pretty full but business class (no F) doesn't typically fill up. When I have requested upgrades even at check-in they usually are available. Haiti has its challenges but welcomes and needs a lot of assistance. It's a special place and the people are amazing.

MAH4546 Aug 6, 2011 3:58 pm

A "side trip" to Port au Prince or Santo Domingo? Are you kidding? What exactly do you expect to see in two of the poorest and most dangerous Caribbean cities? If you want a side trip to an urban, non-"islandy" Caribbean city, go to Santiago, DR.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Aug 6, 2011 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546 (Post 16872402)
A "side trip" to Port au Prince or Santo Domingo? Are you kidding? What exactly do you expect to see in two of the poorest and most dangerous Caribbean cities? If you want a side trip to an urban, non-"islandy" Caribbean city, go to Santiago, DR.

IIRC AA won't even overnight crews at PAP.

sbm12 Aug 6, 2011 7:11 pm

Meh....I had a great overnight in SDQ last fall.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...santo-domingo/
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...ican-republic/

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...5482_thumb.jpghttp://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...5440_thumb.jpghttp://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...5438_thumb.jpg

I'd happily go back.

Alpha Aug 6, 2011 11:11 pm

Maybe I'm young and reckless. Would that be a satisfactory answer? :rolleyes:

MAH4546 Aug 7, 2011 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Alpha (Post 16873695)
Maybe I'm young and reckless. Would that be a satisfactory answer? :rolleyes:

It is. I love visiting off the beaten path cities - my favorites being Ouagadougou and Paramaraibo - but for 99.99% of people, these aren't "side trip" cities.

Though, honestly, Port Au Prince is very, very, very dangerous, and you shouldn't go there unless you have business or family. If you go, hire a bodyguard and armored vehicle.

m_abbott Aug 7, 2011 8:20 am

"Santo Domingo is the capital and the largest city in the Dominican Republic. The city is the center of economic activity in the Dominican Republic. Many national and international firms have their headquarters or regional offices in Santo Domingo. The city attracts many international firms and franchises due to its geographic location, stability, and vibrant economy.The infrastructure is adequate for most business operations. For many years the Dominican Republic has enjoyed a modern and state of the art telecommunications system, due to its privatization and integration with the US system.

Santo Domingo has areas of high development, which mostly consist of costly buildings and luxury houses, contrasting with the outskirts of other parts of the city which are less economically developed.

Famous landmarks in Santo Domingo include the Puerta del Conde, the Puerta de la Misericordia, the Catedral Santa María La Menor (Catedral Primada de América), the National Pantheon and the Alcázar de Colón, all of which are located within the Zona Colonial district of the city. This part was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1990.

The dangers present in the Dominican Republic are similar to those of many major U.S. cities. Visitors walking the streets should always be aware of their surroundings, although kidnappings are not common in the Dominican Republic. The Dominican Republic has police that are specially trained to assist tourists who require assistance. This public institution is called Politur and represents a cooperative effort between the National Police, Secretary of the Armed Forces, and the Secretary of Tourism. Politur typically has personnel in tourist areas to provide first responder type assistance to tourists."

Cheers

lobo411 Aug 7, 2011 8:50 am

Originally Posted by m_abbott (Post 16874897)
The dangers present in the Dominican Republic are similar to those of many major U.S. cities.

I don't have a horse in this race, but I think that's a facile statement. Isn't it always a question of degrees? :p

m_abbott Aug 7, 2011 9:07 am

Originally Posted by lobo411 (Post 16875025)
I don't have a horse in this race, but I think that's a facile statement. Isn't it always a question of degrees? :p

Maybe, but I found the information on the travel state web.

austgap Aug 12, 2011 6:01 am

I understand about the feeling of staying in Port au Prince after the earthquakes. What about doing a same day return MR to PAP? As in leave on AA575 and return on AA1908.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Aug 12, 2011 6:31 am

Originally Posted by austgap (Post 16908830)
I understand about the feeling of staying in Port au Prince after the earthquakes. What about doing a same day return MR to PAP? As in leave on AA575 and return on AA1908.

You would still might need to clear customs and security (in other words I'm not sure that you would be allowed to stay airside after deplanning.) Why not just go to SJU if you want to do a same day turn MR out of MIA? You won't have customs to deal with and if your an AC member there is an AC. SJU/MIA/JFK typically are all turns.