Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Turndown service & Pyjamas / Pajamas in F/J began 1 Sep and 1 Oct 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turndown service & Pyjamas / Pajamas in F/J began 1 Sep and 1 Oct 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
On my many long haul first class flights to Europe, Asia, and South America on AA I have rarely encountered frowning, gossiping, or hiding senior FAs. IMHO that behavior is not the norm from the AA FAs. Quite the opposite.

Have I encountered odd ball AA FAs, yes. I have also encountered them on CX First, and BA, First and Business.
I would agree. As a longtime UA flyer, AA's FAs in long haul premium cabins on the whole seem much nicer and attentive. I am sure there's bad apples out there, but I have yet to encounter them.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
^ Exactly! And it's more of an expectation in some countries FAs will be FAs for a shorter period of time - until they marry or perhaps promote to a more responsible position that might lead to a career. (Some Asian countries, at least, still have age limits and all those accouterments of various "-isms" that have at least de jure been eliminated or cut back in the US, Australia, et al.)

IMO, AA and QF are similar in that aspect - the Australian "tall poppies are meant to be cut down" way of looking at things means some service can be quite variable (though the specially selected and trained cabin staff on the A380s seem to have it just right).

Though I read many posts here about AA's surly FAs, they do not gibe with my experiences - I have been flying AA since the mid-1940s, in all classes, and in most instances, particularly in F, the FAs are pretty good at their job. Most are less formal than, say, a UK-based FA, and some do not like the informalities and what they would consider undue intimacy (address in a F pax one does not know by their first name, as an example), but I prefer the spontaneity and genuiness to what feels to me sometimes obsequious kowtowing I may get on some Asian carriers.

3 of 4 my last flights in AA international long-haul J or F flights, I have sent e-mails with kudos to AA C/S, as the attentiveness and service were A+. The remaining flight was merely OK, merely ordinary with somewhat lackadaisical service.

Will pyjamas in F change any of that? IMO, a resounding "No!" as AA has limited influence on their FAs, and seemingly does not believe in providing leadership, training and continuous improvement initiatives. KAAizen does not exist as a word or concept.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I, too, have thought about this issue. Much of it, I believe, is cultural. America isn't really a service culture in the same way that exists in much of Europe and Asia. Part of that no doubt comes from the U.S. being, at least aspirationally, a classless society. I find that many people in traditional service positions (e.g., wait staff in restaurants) view their jobs as mere stepping stones to something better. In Europe and Asia, it's much more common to find, using the same example, professional, career wait staff who not only take pride in their work but also who build reputations in their industry and are sought after by restaurants.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
No PJS on ORD-DEL today. Purser sad she had heard rumors, but nothing more about a roll out systemwide. My Cathya ones worked fine though!
FWIW excellent crew an really delicious Indian food in F.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:07 pm

Maybe to / from DEL they will offer us a nice salwar kameez?

Originally Posted by ffdom
No PJS on ORD-DEL today. Purser sad she had heard rumors, but nothing more about a roll out systemwide. My Cathya ones worked fine though!
FWIW excellent crew an really delicious Indian food in F.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 11:32 am

This is really good news with the pyjamas. I really hope this will become systemwide
Old Aug 6, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by GB
While this might be a nice gesture from AA, it doesn't correct the fundamental problem with the overall culture of service by the AA flight attendants in the premium cabins on Int'l flights. AA is not competitive in large part due to the ingrained attitude of many of the senior flight attendants staffing these flights that feel that by doing the bare minimum required of them this is a sufficient level of service. I don't care how you dress it up by adding pajamas, improving amenity kits or better food. If the people serving you don't greet you, don't smile, make it look like they don't enjoy what they are doing and hide to gossip with their colleagues for the balance of the flight, this is not going to make AA any more competitive or attractive to premium flyers.
+1. Maybe I should fly on the flights HNL is on. I would say that 50% of my long haul flights in F/J had decent FA's, the other 50% the FA's were horrible.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I, too, have thought about this issue. Much of it, I believe, is cultural. America isn't really a service culture in the same way that exists in much of Europe and Asia. Part of that no doubt comes from the U.S. being, at least aspirationally, a classless society. I find that many people in traditional service positions (e.g., wait staff in restaurants) view their jobs as mere stepping stones to something better. In Europe and Asia, it's much more common to find, using the same example, professional, career wait staff who not only take pride in their work but also who build reputations in their industry and are sought after by restaurants.
Very well said! It is even more of a problem when it is in the US tipping is expected...
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
No jammies on NRT flight

Aug 5th DFW - NRT:
Slippers - yes
Jammies - no
"Matress" and turndown service - no

Off topic - F was less than half full - I have rarely seen that before.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
so, there have been no PJs on any other flight, and no one can corroborate their appearance? I think the OP was flying BA and is just a little confused.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
Originally Posted by justforfun
so, there have been no PJs on any other flight, and no one can corroborate their appearance? I think the OP was flying BA and is just a little confused.
I really wish I had brought the PJs with me - as t hey seem to have been a one-off maybe they will becone valuable. However, I did bring the bag that they came in as I thought it looked useful. For you doubting Thomases amingst you, here it is:

Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:30 am

Not on American Airlines, it isn't.

Originally Posted by david-alexis
Very well said! It is even more of a problem when it is in the US tipping is expected...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:57 am

Come on you guys - be patient. It will take a couple of days to dryclean superscot's PJs. We will see them again on a flight soon. Superscot omitted to inform you that like the Bose headsets the flight attendant takes an inventory of who got PJs and collects them at the end of the flight for re-use.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Come on you guys - be patient. It will take a couple of days to dryclean superscot's PJs. We will see them again on a flight soon. Superscot omitted to inform you that like the Bose headsets the flight attendant takes an inventory of who got PJs and collects them at the end of the flight for re-use.
Haha, brilliant!

I'll be hitting DFW-LHR in F in a couple days, will report what happens.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Azulcactus
Haha, brilliant!

I'll be hitting DFW-LHR in F in a couple days, will report what happens.
Do keep us posted!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat for Life, ex BD Gld (RIP)
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Like it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.