Is 19 years too long to hold a grudge?

Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Is 19 years too long to hold a grudge?

To make a long story short, my new wife and I were attempting to fly non-rev on AA from LAX-HNL for our honeymoon back in 1992. Because my wife's dress was backless the gate agent would not let us on the plane because, in her opinion, it didn't meet the non-rev dress code. Mind you we had already checked our bags at the ticket counter and picked up our boarding passes at the gate and didn't hear a peep from anyone that the black linen dress was not cool. I remember the gate agents name to this day and even found her on FB and feel like sending her a nasty note.

TWA was still in business in 1992 so after an $800 swipe of the credit card, we jumped on an L1011 that departed a few hours later. The TWA ticket agent even gave us seats in the exit row when she heard what had happened with AA. The FAs gave us a bottle of champagne when they realized we were on our honeymoon. Too bad AA bought them a few years later.

So all of the flying I've done since 1992 I have never bought a ticket from AA. Should I get over it or continue my grudge for another 19 years?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Do you think the grudge hurt, or was even noticed, by AA? IMO, you let an overly strict and rigid Gate Agent push you around into not flying an airline for 19 years, and it could be time to give her back her power over you.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Meh, if you've made it 19 years there's no reason to kill the streak.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
To make a long story short, my new wife and I were attempting to fly non-rev on AA from LAX-HNL for our honeymoon back in 1992. Because my wife's dress was backless the gate agent would not let us on the plane because, in her opinion, it didn't meet the non-rev dress code. Mind you we had already checked our bags at the ticket counter and picked up our boarding passes at the gate and didn't hear a peep from anyone that the black linen dress was not cool. I remember the gate agents name to this day and even found her on FB and feel like sending her a nasty note.

TWA was still in business in 1992 so after an $800 swipe of the credit card, we jumped on an L1011 that departed a few hours later. The TWA ticket agent even gave us seats in the exit row when she heard what had happened with AA. The FAs gave us a bottle of champagne when they realized we were on our honeymoon. Too bad AA bought them a few years later.

So all of the flying I've done since 1992 I have never bought a ticket from AA. Should I get over it or continue my grudge for another 19 years?
Did she specifically say it didn't meet the "non-rev dress code"? Is there even such thing?

But no, it's not too long to hold a grudge. This is your honeymoon; if it continues to bother you, just avoid AA completely. Of course, I have no idea how revealing your wife's dress was, but flying to HNL on your honeymoon, I would've thought the FA could understand.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Michael El
Should I get over it or continue my grudge for another 19 years?
I say go for it... it's not too long at all. My grudge with AC is now into its 4th decade.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:13 pm

does it really make any difference?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:14 pm

Crummy gate agents happen. You shouldn't let one bad experience put you off by that much. If AA's not that convenient for you anyway it's perfectly reasonable to choose something else over it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid them just because of this one incident.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Customers vote with their feet. If more followed through with their threats of 'never flying airline X again', then we'd see some change occur.

My mother refuses to fly United. She had a bad flight in 1983.

I think there's a certain satisfaction the customer holds when they follow through.

We live in America. There's capitalism and competition. Enjoy it.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Did she specifically say it didn't meet the "non-rev dress code"? Is there even such thing?"

There most certainly was a non-rev dress code on AA, and I expect that there is still one today, although it was liberalized years ago. In fact, IIRC, the dress code was even printed on the coupon booklets used for non-rev travel. The dress code for First Class was stricter than the dress code for Coach.

Was the OP aware of what the dress code required in 1992? In what class of service were he and his bride attempting to fly?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:31 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
It's funny, how every time I decide to fly AA (which isn't often) I always end up on a *A flight, either cancelled, or probable missed connections etc...so I've just given up as well...stick to your guns...but like everyone else pretty much stated...it isn't really going to matter
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Nicksta
Customers vote with their feet. If more followed through with their threats of 'never flying airline X again', then we'd see some change occur.

I think there's a certain satisfaction the customer holds when they follow through.

I think I will make good on my 2006 pledge to never fly Northwest again.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I think I will make good on my 2006 pledge to never fly Northwest again.
^ Good one.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by Nicksta

+1 or is it 2
Had an issue with Delta 7 years ago and never spent another dime with them. I keep my miles active thru donations in small amounts.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:38 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
omitted.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:44 am

I had a TWA ambassador club lounge attendant take my card once and try to keep it because I was under 21. I took it back and ran out the door and never looked back when I received my Admirals Club card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.