Wiki Posts
Search

New AA Flights out of FLL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
New AA Flights out of FLL

Not exactly the route expansion I was hoping for...

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3290

"On Nov. 17, American will add new nonstop service to Los Angeles as well as one additional flight to Chicago. On Feb. 9, American will add another flight to Chicago as well as an additional nonstop to Dallas/Fort Worth. American will operate Boeing 737-800 aircraft on all of these routes."

The direct flight FLL-LAX is a new route.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Yay! Flying to FLL is usually cheaper than MIA
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Ambraciot

"On Nov. 17, American will add new nonstop service to Los Angeles as well as one additional flight to Chicago. On Feb. 9, American will add another flight to Chicago as well as an additional nonstop to Dallas/Fort Worth. American will operate Boeing 737-800 aircraft on all of these routes."

AA had LAX/FLL awhile back, I'm surprised they are reintroducing that route. I'd still take MIA any day over FLL. No AC and the Concourse that AA is in which also houses B6 flights and an odd Spirit is flight is downright nasty. And two power outlets in the entire concourse.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: AA, UA

FLL-LAX is NOT a new route, rather a route from just a few years ago that is coming back- then it was twice a day in both directions on 757s and was heavily filled with cruise passengers in particular in the F cabin.

Cheers

LA Couple
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
I assume this means the loads are lower... so why add more flights? I really don't get AA's focus on airports within commuting range of their main hubs.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Yay for FLL and South Florida! Hopefully AA will pursue the multi station cornerstone approach at FLL and PBI similar to LGA & JFK. Maybe JFK-PBI isn't out of the question, it would really be a resumption from the former LGA service.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
I assume this means the loads are lower... so why add more flights? I really don't get AA's focus on airports within commuting range of their main hubs.
fll is an end point basically....very few connections w/aa....obviously, the increase makes sense to aa & mia is a zoo....when the fll-lax was operating, there was often some decent mr fares...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:03 am
Original Poster

The fare is ridiculous like $.12 per mile, but when I search for BOS-FLL flights one of my options was the following:

2189 06:40 AM BOS 10:10 AM MIA
395 11:15 AM MIA 01:25 PM DFW
1408 02:15 PM DFW 06:00 PM FLL

I think this happens a lot with "multi station" hubs and demonstrates a less than ideal AA IT setup. The following set of flights is only $81 more than LAX-SYD:

440 10:55 AM ONT 03:40 PM DFW
2459 04:50 PM DFW 06:15 PM LAX
7364 10:20 PM LAX 08:20 AM SYD
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
I agree. You beat me yet again. Wow! Unreal!!! It going to be more tougher competitive against B6, VX, NK. There goes some more competitions against another airlines.

Can't DL will have reconsider FLL-LAX again?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
How long after the announcement do new flights usually become bookable? Fingers crossed for some cheap FLL-LAX-FLL runs (although it will be misery compared to the 777s and 767s out of MIA).
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
I believe that DL recently moved their FLL/LAX NS to MIA. Maybe this is an attempt by AA to capture some PAX that don't want to go to MIA

TW
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a direct flight, it's a nonstop flight; there's a world of difference between "direct" and "nonstop" flights.

On top of that, it's not a new route, it's the resumption of service on a route served by AA for many years until two or three years ago, when it was discontinued.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
It's not a direct flight, it's a nonstop flight; there's a world of difference between "direct" and "nonstop" flights.
Care to explain?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by living near shamu
Care to explain?
http://www.travel-industry-dictionar...ct-flight.html
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks! Now I know the difference and you're right, it makes a lot of difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.