Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best article in a long time on American's future strategy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Thumbs up Best article in a long time on American's future strategy

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11191...ot-merger.html

I come across a lot of articles on American and obviously don't think many are worth discussing as they recap a lot of what we have discussed here about their business model, Arpey's vision, etc, but I think the above article does a really nice job of succintly summing up American's strategy going forward, which is starting to make a bit of sense even to this SFO-based flyer (hi demkr, behave on this thread, ha ha). Obviously American is going to need a lot more than some new planes to compete in the future, but as this piece falls into place, I for one am beginning to understand their strategy and see how the pieces are falling together, from an expanded One World (welcome Malaysia) to ATI with BA and JAL.

I think the article also does a nice job of summing up the challenges that continue to face "our" airline of choice.

Thought my fellow FT'ers might enjoy the read as well.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree; Ted Reed finally wrote a decent article about AA. Previously, I have maligned him as a clueless doofus - in past articles, the giant chip on his shoulder (AA must have wronged him in the past) has been front and center. In this article, the chip doesn't show its face.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Thanks for posting this. It is a good summary. Of course, it won't stop people on this board from thinking that they could run a better airline.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Blumie
Thanks for posting this. It is a good summary. Of course, it won't stop people on this board from thinking that they could run a better airline.
Even worse are the captains of industry FT who think that they could run a better AA, as evidenced in several of the following posts.

Last edited by dayone; Jul 20, 2011 at 3:29 pm Reason: Add examples.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
While I agree that AA certainly showed a future looking attitude with this massive a/c order, I'm still not sold that it will be the key to the Company's future. Most heavy business travelers, particularly global, see air travel as part of the job. (They certainly would have no desire to spend time posting on FT.) Their preference is getting there and back asap, particularly on International long haul, and on one flight.

True, when you fly OW your status allows you many of the same goodies you get with AA. But it still might mean a connection and the inability to use SWUs to upgrade, really important if your company forces you to ride in the back.

Time will tell if the JVs can compete against the massive routes of UA and DL.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:04 pm

Interesting supplemental from Mr. Reed concerning the pilots:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11192...act-talks.html
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Even worse are the captains of industry FT who think that they could run a better AA.
Given all the strategic blunders and consistent loses every quarter, I see no evidence that the "captains" of AA can run an airline either.

This article points out AA's lack of strategic vision and poor execution.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
While I agree that AA certainly showed a future looking attitude with this massive a/c order, I'm still not sold that it will be the key to the Company's future.
Nor do I. Anybody can buy or lease aircraft. Boeing or Airbus, faced with a 300-unit order from Delta or United, isn't going to say, 'Sorry. We're sold out.'
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Dia HH
I think its funny that buying 460 new airplanes will somehow solve their baseline issues of labor and route management. Unless AA can cut pilots pay through this supposedly new pilot contract, new planes whether they are paper or not, doesn't mean squat to a PNL statement. They are still bleeding money each month and in the end, these new planes will not lower their cost structure to justify such a large commitment.

Once again AAs management have shown that clearly they are lacking some sort of knowledge that the other legacy airlines have demonstrated.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bmoney
I think its funny that buying 460 new airplanes will somehow solve their baseline issues of labor and route management. Unless AA can cut pilots pay through this supposedly new pilot contract, new planes whether they are paper or not, doesn't mean squat to a PNL statement. They are still bleeding money each month and in the end, these new planes will not lower their cost structure to justify such a large commitment.

Once again AAs management have shown that clearly they are lacking some sort of knowledge that the other legacy airlines have demonstrated.
Actually purchasing new planes will have a very positive affect on the P&L Statement. However, the Balance Sheet and Cash Flows are a whole 'nother issue. But judging by the comments of Horton (""minimal or no capital expenditure," noting that "it doesn't put our balance sheet at risk.") it appears that the financing/leasing terms are good for AA... at least in the short-term. I'm guessing Management is betting this will buy them enough time to sort through labor issues, all while improving an aging fleet.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Thanks for sharing.

The biggest thing that jumped out at me was OW's lack of a mainland Chinese carrier. Increases in Chinese pax travelling abroad is one of the most meaningful trends for the industry over the next 20 years; being as well positioned as possible to capture as much of traffic will prove critical.

The infrastructure fund that I am part of owns several airports (all Asia/Pacific) and the early signs of this trend are crystal clear. We now have a team of people at our main airport whose sole function is to call on Chinese carriers to make sure we get the biggest share of their growth (which so far is going very well for us).
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:51 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Thanks for sharing.

The biggest thing that jumped out at me was OW's lack of a mainland Chinese carrier. Increases in Chinese pax travelling abroad is one of the most meaningful trends for the industry over the next 20 years; being as well positioned as possible to capture as much of traffic will prove critical.

The infrastructure fund that I am part of owns several airports (all Asia/Pacific) and the early signs of this trend are crystal clear. We now have a team of people at our main airport whose sole function is to call on Chinese carriers to make sure we get the biggest share of their growth (which so far is going very well for us).
Slightly OT but there is speculation that Qantas are considering some sort of venture in Shanghai in conjunction with the 'Kangaroo route' (Australia - Europe). Qantas have some big announcement about their international operations due on the 24th of August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.