Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AMR's dropping stock price (consolidated bankruptcy discussion & speculation thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMR's dropping stock price (consolidated bankruptcy discussion & speculation thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
WN's deal to buy Airtran was announced at $1.4 billion.

YahooFinance says AMR's market cap now is $1.39 billion.

Wow.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Interesting point of view here - http://crankyflier.com/2011/07/26/he...ot-more-to-do/
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I'd wager even money (but not too much), it will be back up to $4.50 by the end of Tuesday.
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
AMR has shed another 20 cents today. The stock touched $4.14 and stayed close to that price for the entire trading session.

Anyone care to predict tomorrows performance?
It recovered the 20 cents in the first couple hours of trading today, so I still think I can win the theoretical bet.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
This article in Forbes gives a future price of $6.70 for AMR stock.
http://blogs.forbes.com/greatspecula...pply-pressure/
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by FLYERIL
With the way "black gold" is going, I'm not so sure if AA will be able to make a profit before the new planes arrive.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by FLYERIL
Almost touched the $4.00 mark today (even with price of oil down today).

Also, there are many mutual funds which don't purchase stocks <$5.00 so AMR stock loses a lot of institutional support.

IMHO, if AMR stock goes <$3 and certainly <$2 and I think AMR is in serious trouble as a company and Chapter 11 wouldn't be too far behind.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
Almost touched the $4.00 mark today (even with price of oil down today).

Also, there are many mutual funds which don't purchase stocks <$5.00 so AMR stock loses a lot of institutional support.

IMHO, if AMR stock goes <$3 and certainly <$2 and I think AMR is in serious trouble as a company and Chapter 11 wouldn't be too far behind.

AA still has a consider stockpile of cash. However, if AA starts having problems rolling over/refinancing debt that is when the Company starts to get wobbly. Also, debt holders may start extracting very high interest rates (in excess of 13%-14%) even on refinanced secured debt. Its not like you can park a repossessed MD80 out in front of LGA with a For Sale sound taped to it.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
AA still has a consider stockpile of cash. However, if AA starts having problems rolling over/refinancing debt that is when the Company starts to get wobbly. Also, debt holders may start extracting very high interest rates (in excess of 13%-14%) even on refinanced secured debt. Its not like you can park a repossessed MD80 out in front of LGA with a For Sale sound taped to it.
Given how the credit markets are going and that there is a distinct possibility of a "double-dip" recession, I'm not so sure if AA's financial situation doesn't get more perilous. While the price of "black gold" will start to go down, so will revenues.

Looking at AMR's stock, it ostensibly seems that the "Street" isn't too sanguine as AMR getting its "house in order" w/out having to go into BK. That being said, we have seen AMR's stock a couple of times at these lows before so I'm not 100% certain we'll see AA file for BK.

Regardless, when taking salaries, pensions, work-time, etc. into consideration, AA's cost structure is just too high.

Using AA's July 10-Q, for 2011, AA has to pay about $1.331 billion in debt, $1 billion in plane payments and another $233 in pension payments. Pension payments for 2011 are about $520 million.

Fortunately for AA, non-fuel expense was up only 2.9% y-o-y.

I guess only time will tell as to what will happen with AA's stock.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:36 pm

Another interesting story about AA's mismanagement.
http://www.beachstreetnews.com/2011/...0-buy-or-sell/

Beach Street News

The Money Might Flow on Wall Street, The Dreams Live On Beach Street

Home
Welcome

Monday August 15th 2011
Categories
American Stock Under $4?
The economy is doing funny things, and so is American Airlines (AMR). Yesterday the stock price dropped below 3.90 a share at closing leaving AMR with a Market Cap of under $1.25 Billion. It is understandable that the entire market is still a little skiddish of the debt plan that the government concocted, but the problem at American is much worse.
American Airlines 737 at RDU

American 737

In 2000, AMR purchased TWA for a total of $782 Million using $500 Million in cash to fund the deal. AMR shares were trading at $34 the day the deal was announced. What happened to 90% of the value of AMR?

Under Robert Crandall’s watch, American was an aggressive growth company that ran afoul of the DOT once or twice in order to block competitors from gaining routes. Today under Gerard Arpey, American has walked away from nearly all of its investment in Reno Air, leaving the routes to Southwest Airlines (SWA), and then walked away from Long Beach leaving routes to upstart Jet Blue.

From 1998 to 2003 Don Carty was the CEO of American while the stock slid from a high of about $38 to $11 about the time he was ejected by the board. Clearly the board took the steps they should have. So what is happening now?

Since Sept 11, 2001 Mr. Arpey has used high costs as his excuse for everything. The spirit of competition at American is all but gone and the market knows it. How else could Southwest Airlines be worth $ 7 Billion vs. American’s paltry $1.25B and American did almost exactly double the revenue.

Gerard Arpey has not been the CEO that American needs, he hasn’t had the chain smoking enthusiasm for the Airline business that Robert Crandall brought, or the tattoo yielding LUV that Herb brought to Southwest. In fact instead of being out cheerleading the enthusiasm of the new 400+ aircraft purchase, he has been nearly unseen according to most American employees at the Dallas Hub located just minutes from the headquarters.

Labor isn’t the problem at American Airlines, the leadership is. The longstanding gap between labor and management at American could have been welded shut when Mr. Arpey took over the carrier from Don Carty. Instead labor pay cuts and increasing management bonuses have only deepend and widened the chasm Mr. Arpey must cross to restore the ailing carrier.

Recently at the opening of Terminal two at San Francisco International Airport, you could see the problem first hand. Richard Branson of Virgin American showed up and brought along his space ship and astronaut Buzz Aldrin to speak about the future. Mr. Arpey sent a 1940’s era DC-3 that left a trail of oil on the gleaming new tarmac and a few retired instructor pilots. Mr. Arpey was nowhere to be found.
American DC-3 at SFO

American DC-3 Leaving its mark at SFO

The recent good news of American buying 420 new airplanes is slightly reminiscent of the deal that Robert Crandall struck to buy the current MD-80 fleet at a super discount and grow the airline. The difference was he had all the labor deals in his pocket first. According to the press releases recently by the mechanics and flight attendants, Mr. Arpey is nowhere close to having these agreements.

With a looming pilot shortage and pilot pay that is among the lowest in the industry, sources say that American is getting less than 20% of its furloughed pilots returning to work. Where does Mr. Arpey plan to get the 4000 plus new pilots to fly the 420 new airplanes?
The bottom line is American is generating twice the revenue, and half of the gross margin of Southwest and is valued by the market at one seventh of its competitor Southwest. Is the board ever going to do anything besides approve another bonus for Mr. Arpey? In many markets, American’s competitive answer to Southwest has been the much smaller, slower and less efficient jets of American Eagle and that just doesn’t fly. Even under $4.00 Mr. Arpey hasn’t given us a reason to buy.
Post Published: 03 August 2011
Author: Freelance writers
Found in section: Beach St. Biz
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
Another interesting story about AA's mismanagement.

<snip>

In fact instead of being out cheerleading the enthusiasm of the new 400+ aircraft purchase, he has been nearly unseen according to most American employees at the Dallas Hub located just minutes from the headquarters.

Labor isn’t the problem at American Airlines, the leadership is. The longstanding gap between labor and management at American could have been welded shut when Mr. Arpey took over the carrier from Don Carty. Instead labor pay cuts and increasing management bonuses have only deepend and widened the chasm Mr. Arpey must cross to restore the ailing carrier.

<snip>

pilot pay that is among the lowest in the industry,

<snip>

While I am no fan of Arpey and look forward to a new CEO, posting Union talking points is not the answer. The "article" is laughable in many of its assertions including the truly insane "pilot pay that is among the lowest in the industry"

I don't know what happens to fine men and women when they join a union. Are they made to drink a special Koolaid. How is it they spout crap that is demonstrably false?

I think that our Congressmen and women must drink the same Kool-aid because when I hear our politicians talk (of either party) I hear these same FAKE statistics and facts said with a straight face

Just as a quick summary from WillFlyForFood.com

Alaska 12 Year Captain 737 $172/hr
Airtran 12 Year Captain 737 $162/hr
Continental 12 Year Captain 737 $150/hr
Delta 12 Year Captain 737 $167.53/hr
AA 12 Year Captain 737 $166/hr
JetBlue 12 Year Captain A320 $158.70/hr
Southwest 12 Year Captain 737 $211.98/hr
United 12 Year Captain 737 $137.14/hr
US Air 12 Year Captain 737 $137.68/hr
Hawaiian 12 Year Captain 717 $162/hr

Except for Southwest, AA is right in the upper middle of that bracket. Keep in mind that 737 is the BIGGEST jet that Southwest has and that is how high you can possibly go in Southwest

In AA you can climb to become the captain of a 777 at which point you will earn $205/hr.

The 737 is an "entry level" jet at AA and with the Mad dogs that are going to be phased out, it will be the smallest jet in the fleet. The Airbus NEOs will be larger and the fleet will have 757 (mabye), 767 (maybe), 787 (likely) and 777 (certain)

Last edited by panjabi; Aug 15, 2011 at 3:17 pm
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by panjabi
While I am no fan of Arpey and look forward to a new CEO, posting Union talking points is not the answer. The "article" is laughable in many of its assertions including the truly insane "pilot pay that is among the lowest in the industry"

I don't know what happens to fine men and women when they join a union. Are they made to drink a special Koolaid. How is it they spout crap that is demonstrably false?

I think that our Congressmen and women must drink the same Kool-aid because when I hear our politicians talk (of either party) I hear these same FAKE statistics and facts said with a straight face

Just as a quick summary from WillFlyForFood.com

Alaska 12 Year Captain 737 $172/hr
Airtran 12 Year Captain 737 $162/hr
Continental 12 Year Captain 737 $150/hr
Delta 12 Year Captain 737 $167.53/hr
AA 12 Year Captain 737 $166/hr
JetBlue 12 Year Captain A320 $158.70/hr
Southwest 12 Year Captain 737 $211.98/hr
United 12 Year Captain 737 $137.14/hr
US Air 12 Year Captain 737 $137.68/hr
Hawaiian 12 Year Captain 717 $162/hr

Except for Southwest, AA is right in the upper middle of that bracket. Keep in mind that 737 is the BIGGEST jet that Southwest has and that is how high you can possibly go in Southwest

In AA you can climb to become the captain of a 777 at which point you will earn $205/hr.

The 737 is an "entry level" jet at AA and with the Mad dogs that are going to be phased out, it will be the smallest jet in the fleet. The Airbus NEOs will be larger and the fleet will have 757 (mabye), 767 (maybe), 787 (likely) and 777 (certain)
WN and many other carriers aren't saddled with pensions which AA is. Why isn't that number included? Unlike those "bonuses" management gets, putting money into legacy pensions costs AA directly (i.e.-hits cash-flow directly) to the tune of hundreds of millions $$$/year!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
WN and many other carriers aren't saddled with pensions which AA is.
It's not that they don't have pensions. From the WN site:

401(k) Plan: This Company-sponsored retirement plan allows Employees to contribute a portion of their pay on a pre-tax basis to build up savings for retirement. Currently, we match Employee contributions $1 for $1 up to 9.3 percent of eligible salary.
The point about AA is it has an underfunded legacy "defined benefits" plan, as opposed to WN's "defined contributions" plan. The current WN will still be costing them a ton of money every year, but an underfunded defined benefits plan is always going to be a problem in a shrinking business like AA's.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by bernardd
It's not that they don't have pensions. From the WN site:

The point about AA is it has an underfunded legacy "defined benefits" plan, as opposed to WN's "defined contributions" plan. The current WN will still be costing them a ton of money every year, but an underfunded defined benefits plan is always going to be a problem in a shrinking business like AA's.
You are correct. AA's pension is rather outdated.

Regardless, AA's cost structure is too high. Practically every single analyst-either working for a Wall St. firm or a private independent firm has stated this. Its almost "common knowledge". Only someone/some people living in "la-la" land refuse to believe this.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I just noticed that AMR fell 5.73% and below its support level of $3 to $2.96. AA's market cap finally fell below one billion as well.

It looks like investors didn't like hearing about AA's plans to borrow more against aircraft.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I just noticed that AMR fell 5.73% and below its support level of $3 to $2.96. AA's market cap finally fell below one billion as well.

It looks like investors didn't like hearing about AA's plans to borrow more against aircraft.
Of course not. More debt = less equity.

Then again, if more debt = more cash flow, that's better than going bankrupt with billions in assets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.