Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AMR's dropping stock price (consolidated bankruptcy discussion & speculation thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMR's dropping stock price (consolidated bankruptcy discussion & speculation thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I'd wager even money (but not too much), it will be back up to $4.50 by the end of Tuesday.
I see nothing to put that kind of support under the stock. AMR will lose money in Q3 and probably more in Q4. Based on everything I've heard/read in the conf call, AMR's management has nothing in hand to stem the bleeding until the new jets come online.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I see nothing to put that kind of support under the stock. AMR will lose money in Q3 and probably more in Q4. Based on everything I've heard/read in the conf call, AMR's management has nothing in hand to stem the bleeding until the new jets come online.
I'm not sure that new a/c alone would solve AA problems. The Company just seems to be on this very slow path to Chapter 11, which has been delayed due to lenders willing to lend AA money.

Of course, the economic environment and price of oil are the wildcards. But it just seems that without any major changes AA will eventually be forced into Chapter 11 but could use that process to restructure and rejuvante its business model.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I agree AA is going to continue losing money in the near term... but if AA manages its resources wisely and capitalizes on its brand and loyal customer base, it could avoid bankruptcy and return to profit in ~3 years.

If AA returns to profit with a more fuel efficient fleet 3 years from now the stock would likely be worth about $13. If AA has a 50% chance of losing all shareholder value and a 50% chance of being worth $13 in 3 years, a rational risk tolerant investor would consider an AA share a bargain at $4.50.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT 2.1MM -- Starwood Preferred Guest GLD -- Hilton HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by parvez
I second that. Airlines are not an investment that makes you a return.

You buy airline stocks because you like airplanes or fancy owning part of an airline. If you´ve got way more money than sense then you become a big enough shareholder to actually sit on the board and make policies...
If you think that is the case then just short the stock... money just grows on trees
Old Jul 23, 2011, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by parvez
I second that. Airlines are not an investment that makes you a return.

You buy airline stocks because you like airplanes or fancy owning part of an airline. If you´ve got way more money than sense then you become a big enough shareholder to actually sit on the board and make policies...
Airlines are very cyclical stocks, so they generate short-term returns to those who have the guts (or "extra" information) to "play" them. That's why, in addition to the legacy "romantic" aspect of the industry (before it turned into the widely despised providers of today), there's a lot of Wall Street coverage.

Over the long term, in aggregate, IIRC these stocks have been money-losing investments not only in real terms, but also in nominal ones!
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
But it just seems that without any major changes AA will eventually be forced into Chapter 11 but could use that process to restructure and rejuvante its business model.
That's what I've been sensing as well. While Arpey and Horton don't want to admit it (at least publicly), ostensibly, it seems the market is forcing their hand towards BK...

In a way I hope it happens (though I wouldn't be too happy with it). There is just NO way AA can keep up with its inflated cost structure.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by hillrider
Airlines are very cyclical stocks, so they generate short-term returns to those who have the guts (or "extra" information) to "play" them. That's why, in addition to the legacy "romantic" aspect of the industry (before it turned into the widely despised providers of today), there's a lot of Wall Street coverage.

Over the long term, in aggregate, IIRC these stocks have been money-losing investments not only in real terms, but also in nominal ones!
Unless there are an infinite number of idiots out there, one of the things that has to change is the airlines don't need to merely break even, they have to get to the point of paying dividends, just as Southwest have done for years. In AA's case that probably means they have to get from c. $1 billion losses to over $2 billion profit, which is a MASSIVE turn around, and much more than they're going to achieve with the current aircraft order and changes in pension contributions. There seems to be little alternative to us paying more for our tickets, so they're going to have to make us value the product a LOT more than we do today.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Red face

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm not sure that new a/c alone would solve AA problems.
Yes, correct. I should have used the phrase "slow the bleeding".
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I see nothing to put that kind of support under the stock.
They could monkey with/float rumors about the Aadvantage program, discouraging people like me from shooting for Lifetime Gold/Plat. Maybe that would help.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The last airline stock I purchased was Eastern.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
They could monkey with/float rumors about the Aadvantage program, discouraging people like me from shooting for Lifetime Gold/Plat. Maybe that would help.
That would help put the stock on the fast track to the analysts' predicted price of $3.

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I agree AA is going to continue losing money in the near term... but if AA manages its resources wisely and capitalizes on its brand and loyal customer base, it could avoid bankruptcy and return to profit in ~3 years.
I was simply referring to AA's near term future and the predicted stock price of $3. I can see AA returning to profitability with competitive labor agreements and a change of management.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
My thoughts...

Apple should buy AA. iPhones under everyones seat!

It really does amaze me though that AMR cannot seem to turn a profit but then again most of the other airlines merged or filed bankruptcy. AA just purchased all these new planes and it is kind of scary with gas prices going up I hope they can keep in business.. I know I would sure miss my Platinum status and would be devastated to lose all of my miles.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vip4me
My thoughts...

Apple should buy AA. iPhones under everyones seat!

It really does amaze me though that AMR cannot seem to turn a profit but then again most of the other airlines merged or filed bankruptcy. AA just purchased all these new planes and it is kind of scary with gas prices going up I hope they can keep in business.. I know I would sure miss my Platinum status and would be devastated to lose all of my miles.
AA may change in from but in all likelihood it or its successor will be the OW partner for North America. Losing your miles would be the last thing I would worry about. I think the major concern would be AAdvantage will be a much less generous FFP program at some point in the future.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

AMR has shed another 20 cents today. The stock touched $4.14 and stayed close to that price for the entire trading session.

Anyone care to predict tomorrows performance?

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Jul 26, 2011 at 12:10 am
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:20 pm

AMR has shed another 20 cents today. The stock touched $4.14 today and stayed close to that price for the entire trading session.

Anyone care to predict tomorrows performance?
easy, i predict your performance tomorrow will be remarkable similar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.