FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Privacy on AA.com ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1236570-privacy-aa-com.html)

jcotten1 Jul 13, 2011 11:18 am

Privacy on AA.com ?

I am concerned with the privacy on the AA.com website. Specifically, without logging in, anyone can pull my complete itinerary (and all my companions) just by knowing my name and first flight connection... so, if a coworker or friend knows I'm traveling to the V.I. through MIA, they can get my exact flight details, including all connections and arrival times.. plus the FIRST MIDDLE and LAST names of all people on my itinerary.. without any privacy controls.. just by entering my name and flight number. To me, it is definitely a privacy breach and potentially a safety issue.

Does anyone know a work around or a way to remove this?

magic111 Jul 13, 2011 11:28 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk jcotten1.

The Rules and Guidelines you agreed to prior to being given permission to post state the following:

Post Your Thread to Just One Forum - link to this guideline
Don't post the same thread more than once. Our members read many forums, and weeding through the same message in multiple forums can be frustrating. Duplicate threads will be deleted, combined or locked.
I will be deleting your prior post on this topic and let this one go with a reminder.

~moderator

scubadu Jul 13, 2011 12:09 pm

I'm not seeing this behavior.

When I go to:

https://www.aa.com/reservation/findReservationAccess.do

it requires passenger name and record locator. Knowing the first flight connection was not enough.

I attempted with a first and last name minus a record locator and that does not work (returned error)

OP, where specifically are you seeing this and please provide exact steps.

Regards

JY1024 Jul 13, 2011 12:19 pm

I was able to pull up a family member's itin without the record locator. At the left margin of the page you linked, it provides the steps:

If you do not know your Record Locator:

- Enter the Passenger First and Last Name
- Select the Carrier
- Enter the Flight Number and Departure City
- Select the Departure Date
- Click Go

sts603 Jul 13, 2011 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by jcotten1 (Post 16720834)
I am concerned with the privacy on the AA.com website. Specifically, without logging in, anyone can pull my complete itinerary (and all my companions) just by knowing my name and first flight connection... so, if a coworker or friend knows I'm traveling to the V.I. through MIA, they can get my exact flight details, including all connections and arrival times.. plus the FIRST MIDDLE and LAST names of all people on my itinerary.. without any privacy controls.. just by entering my name and flight number. To me, it is definitely a privacy breach and potentially a safety issue.

May I ask why you care?

West Coast Ace Jul 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by sts603 (Post 16721393)
May I ask why you care?

+1.

They already know a lot about you OP (so your cry of 'privacy' is way over the top): first and last name, favored airline, date you're traveling and airport.

How to avoid? Don't fly.

I sure hope AA doesn't spend any IT resources 'fixing' this. Plenty of other things on the website that need their attention.

FWAAA Jul 13, 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by jcotten1 (Post 16720834)

Don't inform so many friends or co-workers of your travel plans? Limit the dissemination of such info to those with a need-to-know? Perhaps only to those individuals you trust?

I agree with others - I don't see the privacy or "safety" issue here.

Ambraciot Jul 13, 2011 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 16721448)
They already know a lot about you OP (so your cry of 'privacy' is way over the top): first and last name, favored airline, date you're traveling and airport.

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 16721595)
Don't inform so many friends or co-workers of your travel plans? Limit the dissemination of such info to those with a need-to-know? Perhaps only to those individuals you trust?

I agree with others - I don't see the privacy or "safety" issue here.

Perhaps the concern is about a cyberstalker or ex willing to try multiple combinations to see who you currently choose to vacation with.

r44matt Jul 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot (Post 16721644)
Perhaps the concern is about a cyberstalker or ex willing to try multiple combinations to see who you currently choose to vacation with.

If this was the case and the cyberstalker or ex is smart enough to know the trip date and destination, they probably have access through the same means they used to find out previous info (friends, family, etc) to find out everything without going to the trouble on aa.com.

I see no privacy issues whatsoever.

aamilesslave Jul 13, 2011 3:59 pm

When not logged in as the traveller, I've never had success getting itineraries to show up without a PNR.

scubadu Jul 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024 (Post 16721253)
I was able to pull up a family member's itin without the record locator. At the left margin of the page you linked, it provides the steps:

Ah, interesting. If I go to the link in my post without logging into my AAdvantage account, I do not see the options you outlined below. When I'm not logged in the language is only:

"If you do not know your Record Locator:

* Login to view a list of your reservations
* Contact AA Reservations"

but when I login to my AAdvantage account, I see the language you reference.

But like others, I'm kinda meh. Probably poor privacy best practices, but I'm too lazy to expend much emotional energy on this one...

Regards

elitetraveler Jul 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by r44matt (Post 16721911)

I see no privacy issues whatsoever.

I believe if you called AA Res and gave a flight number and last name (without having used your frequent flier number to access AA res) they would ask you an ID question before continuing. For example, "Can you tell me the billing address of the credit card for this reservation," etc.

I know for a fact if I call AA res (identified by my FF number) and ask to confirm if Joe Smith is flying on Flight X they will not do it, unless something changed.

Therefore, OP's point is there is a lower level of security on their website.

mmjaysee Jul 13, 2011 11:07 pm

I agree with the OP. I think it's very bad privacy practice to allow people to look up your flights, itinerary, companions, fare, etc. with only a last name and a flight number (and/or other minimal information).

justageek Jul 14, 2011 2:58 am

AFAIK this is not less security than if you call on the phone.

emma dog Jul 14, 2011 3:50 am

As long as my cyberstalker is hot and is willing to sit in the middle seat on a slAAveship...