FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Newbie question JFK lounge - What to do??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1233469-newbie-question-jfk-lounge-what-do.html)

ComputerAge Jul 5, 2011 4:43 pm

Newbie question JFK lounge - What to do???

I'm leaving to MIA from JFK tomorrow morning at 4:30am (flight's at 7, but after what happened in Mexico, I'd rather play it safe, especially with NYC traffic). I'm getting free access to the Admiral's Club for my whole family, both ways, (thanks to working at TSA and becoming friends with the AA concierge). What's the lounge like in JFK?? Also, anything to do...

thetravelabstract Jul 5, 2011 5:19 pm

What happened in Mexico?

There should be no traffic on the streets at that time. I can drive from the Bronx to JFK in under 25 minutes at 5am, I do it several times a year. Plus its summer, half the city is on vacation.

FlyerChrisK Jul 5, 2011 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelabstract (Post 16676803)
There should be no traffic on the streets at that time. I can drive from the Bronx to JFK in under 25 minutes at 5am, I do it several times a year. Plus its summer, half the city is on vacation.

Agreed with respect to the timing. It's up to you whether getting a little bit more sleep in over sitting around the airport a bit longer.

ComputerAge Jul 5, 2011 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by thetravelabstract (Post 16676803)
What happened in Mexico?

Lol you asked for it.

Here's the story.

So my CO flight out of Newark is at 1030AM, right?? So I leave my Queens apt at 5:00AM. I suggest to my stupid Dial7 (now i use an Asian service :D) driver to go to GW Bridge, but no he's so smart. He takes the ******* BQE to Williamsburg Bridge, then Holland Tunnel. Guess what. Apparently, an oil spill, the whole d*mn highway is closed down. It's 10:25AM and I'm on the BQE. Thanks god I work for TSA. I used to work at the CO terminal so me and the manager became "friendly". He heard of this, put my son and husband on standby to SJD (they made it that day at nighttime) and me and my daughter had to go the next day. Thank god, he charged us no fees.

So thats why I leave so early to go to airports. But I'm gonna be at the Admiral's Club anyway so I can take care of some things.

Lol, I always wear my badge and I get to cut security and sometimes immigration.

Anyway, off to get a good rest. That's the story...

tedward Jul 5, 2011 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by ComputerAge (Post 16676665)
What's the lounge like in JFK?? Also, anything to do...

JFK has two Admirals Clubs, one in Concourse B and one in Concourse C.

They're both new; the one in Concourse B has only been around for a few years, and the one in Concourse C was renovated only slightly before that. B is slightly bigger; C is adjacent to a helicopter pad that used to take people to Wall Street. That service no longer exists, though, so I don't know if anyone uses the pad. Both have expansive windows overlooking the airport, but C has a closer view of the runway. Both have fully-staffed cash bars with limited complimentary alcohol, and both serve items off the standard Amora menu.

It's a toss-up which one I like more; when I'm at JFK, for me it's more a function of where my gate is than anything else.

michael_v Jul 6, 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by ComputerAge (Post 16677487)
Lol you asked for it.

Here's the story.

So my CO flight out of Newark is at 1030AM, right?? So I leave my Queens apt at 5:00AM. I suggest to my stupid Dial7 (now i use an Asian service :D) driver to go to GW Bridge, but no he's so smart. He takes the ******* BQE to Williamsburg Bridge, then Holland Tunnel. Guess what. Apparently, an oil spill, the whole d*mn highway is closed down. It's 10:25AM and I'm on the BQE. Thanks god I work for TSA. I used to work at the CO terminal so me and the manager became "friendly". He heard of this, put my son and husband on standby to SJD (they made it that day at nighttime) and me and my daughter had to go the next day. Thank god, he charged us no fees.

So thats why I leave so early to go to airports. But I'm gonna be at the Admiral's Club anyway so I can take care of some things.

Lol, I always wear my badge and I get to cut security and sometimes immigration.

Anyway, off to get a good rest. That's the story...

Sorry for the OT and I don't live in NY, but aren't there subway trains to the airport?

Microwave Jul 6, 2011 9:22 am

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 16680111)
Sorry for the OT and I don't live in NY, but aren't there subway trains to the airport?

If the OP is taking the BQE to the Williamsburg Bridge to the Holland Tunnel, he's at least two subway trains and a PATH train away from EWR, which would take a loooong time (much of it on a New York City subway train, no less).

OTOH, why on earth is the OP flying out of Newark if the BQE is involved in the trip at all?! Just fly out of JFK or LGA! ;)

sendbillmoney Jul 6, 2011 10:16 am

Originally Posted by ComputerAge (Post 16676665)
I'm leaving to MIA from JFK tomorrow morning at 4:30am (flight's at 7, but after what happened in Mexico, I'd rather play it safe, especially with NYC traffic). I'm getting free access to the Admiral's Club for my whole family, both ways, (thanks to working at TSA and becoming friends with the AA concierge). What's the lounge like in JFK?? Also, anything to do...

I wonder how many AC members out there are paying unnecessary $350-$500 membership fees when they should just be making friends with a concierge.

Annandaler Jul 6, 2011 10:23 am

Originally Posted by sendbillmoney (Post 16680445)
I wonder how many AC members out there are paying unnecessary $350-$500 membership fees when they should just be making friends with a concierge.

The concierge will lose their job if found admitting "friends" into the club...