FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   JFK - TLV (Tel Aviv): Flight options w AA EQP avail? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1229395-jfk-tlv-tel-aviv-flight-options-w-aa-eqp-avail.html)

phil_flyer Jun 23, 2011 9:12 am

JFK - TLV (Tel Aviv): Flight options w AA EQP avail?

Going to Tel Aviv mid-July on business, it will be a F ticket

I want to make sure I get AA EQPs on the flight but I'm not seeing any good options other than a connection through LHR on BA or MAD on Iberia.

Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

ynewman Jun 23, 2011 9:21 am

BUD (and then MA onward) for the shortest non-AA flight, compared to MAD and LHR.

But my personal choice (especially if in F) would be BA on LHR. You'll have two short flights (6hrs each) but BA F >> the alternative. And BA has the only real F product of your OW choices (AA, IB, MA).

JDiver Jun 23, 2011 9:26 am

BA offers First (though I don't know what they offer LHR-TLV); Iberia offers Business Plus transatlantic and then Business Club (kind of like newer version of AA old Business seats) on to TLV (no F ticket on IB).

ExpatExp Jun 23, 2011 9:53 am

BA offers four class service on one of their daily LHR-TLV flights, on a 777. The other daily flight is three class, on a 767.

If you're flying in F, I think a connection in LHR on BA, using the daily 777 flights, will be the most comfortable way to earn those EQPs.

Have to admit I'm a little jealous they offer this level of service on a flight less than five hours long. Not too shabby.

doctor15 Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am

Have you considered flying J on RJ JFK-AMM-TLV?

To me I would greatly prefer one long flight versus two mid-length flights. This particularly applies for red-eye, and seems more comfortable then adding a stop right in the middle of your journey just to get F service.

Otherwise, I think BA JFK-LHR-TLV is your only F option.

1/4MM@20 Jun 23, 2011 5:36 pm

BA F to TLV is a great flight. True F (pyjamas etc). Flight leaves at around 9am so you would red-eye from NY and connect in the morning in LHR. Concorde room in lhr for the connection...

The return is a little more tricky. The 5pm flight has first class which will arrive too late to connect to NY. So a forced overnight in London (though the Sofitel at LHR is very nice).

phil_flyer Jun 24, 2011 7:38 pm

I've tinkered around a bit. I think I will buy a oneworld explorer and go on to HKG from TLV. Looks like the 763 service on AA to budapest and malev connection offers the best sleep.

IntFF Jun 25, 2011 7:38 am

Originally Posted by phil_flyer (Post 16621684)
I've tinkered around a bit. I think I will buy a oneworld explorer and go on to HKG from TLV. Looks like the 763 service on AA to budapest and malev connection offers the best sleep.

If you have mileage, try all-partner award (on LY) 30K biz 1way to HKG/China, because per AA Israel is in Indian Subcontinent (1/2 way there).
Also easy to get VIP upgd on JFK-BUD.

Gardyloo Jun 25, 2011 8:52 am

Originally Posted by phil_flyer (Post 16621684)

Did you look at the connecting times at BUD? IIRC it's something like a 14-hour layover most days, making you arrive at TLV at oh-dark-thirty. Also remember no Plat/EXP status bonus on MA flights.

If you have the clock time available for that sort of long connection, I might suggest you look at the morning AA or BA departure from JFK to LHR, sleep in a real bed at LHR, then take the morning BA flight to TLV. You won't arrive in Israel that much later than if you'd spent the day wandering around Budapest, but you may feel more human for having slept in a real bed in London, rather than on a faux airline "bed." In our experience the daytime TATL eastbound flights really whack jetlag.

phil_flyer Jun 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Ugggh. The thought of spending a neat at LHR makes me want to give up the EQPs and go Star Alliance.

I might spend two days in Budapest and make it a touristy layover.