Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
Updated 2013 thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1479140-aa-mainline-completes-electronic-flight-bag-implementation-via-ipad-tablets.html
Print Wikipost

AP via MSNBC: American Airlines begins iPad testing by pilots

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.2 MM), UA Premier PLT, DL Scum, HH Diamond, Enterprise GLD
Lightbulb AP via MSNBC: American Airlines begins iPad testing by pilots

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43441807/ns/travel-news/

FORT WORTH, Texas — Some American Airlines Inc. pilots have begun testing iPads in an effort to ease the amount of bulky paperwork they need for flights.

The Allied Pilots Association says the iPads have electronic-charting functions. The iPad is made by Apple Inc., based in Cupertino, Calif.

Pilots on two trans-Pacific flights began the test Thursday. The Federal Aviation Administration says pilots must still carry paper documents as backup, items that add to the pounds being hauled as carriers seek to lower weight on airplanes and reduce fuel costs.

The six-month test is being done on American flights from Los Angeles to Shanghai and Tokyo Narita.

American is based in Fort Worth.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Pilots' "brain bags" can weight 40 lbs easily, and sometimes significantly more. B6 started out with EFB (Electronic Flight Bag), iirc. FARs require solid state storage (not a hard drive) so the device will operate continuously though and after an unplanned and sudden decompression event. EFB is old hat - this is merely a platform change and AA trying to catch up. More here.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 17, 2011 at 12:50 pm
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The iPad/Jeppesen combo was certified by the FAA as a Class 1 portable kneeboard electronic flight bag solution 4 months ago. Certain airlines, like AS, are already 100% EFB (no paper).

From what I understand what's new and exciting about this poorly worded announcement is that this test version of the Jeppeson software will have electronic-charting, including "own-ship position" and presumably the route of flight. Current Jeppesen software is approved to only display approach plate charts, terminal procedures and airport diagrams (the bulk of the weight of a flight bag), but not charting.

Last edited by hillrider; Jun 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
NY Times article --AA Pilots using iPad for manuals and charts

From today's NY Times:
The Paperless Cockpit

An interesting quote:
American Airlines won F.A.A. approval last month for its pilots to use the iPad to read aeronautical charts. American received authorization last year to use the device instead of paper reference manuals. Executive Jet Management, a NetJets company owned by Berkshire Hathaway, received the F.A.A.’s permission in February for its pilots to read aeronautical charts on iPads.

Moreover, the F.A.A. said pilots at the two airlines would not have to shut off and store their iPads during taxiing, takeoff and landing because they had demonstrated that the devices would not impair the functioning of onboard electronics.
Wishing what was good for the goose....
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by emma dog
From today's NY Times:
The Paperless Cockpit

An interesting quote:

Wishing what was good for the goose....
...yeah I'm with you on this one. I've had a FA ask me to turn off my Kindle before, because it was an electronic device.... /sigh
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Interesting using Ipads in the cockpit and samsung androids for the new AVOD, I would think they would want a harmonized platform to save money buying these tablets
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Yeah, waiting for the pax who will be arrested for refusing to shut off his/her ipad due to possible interference with navigation equipment.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by millsdale
Interesting using Ipads in the cockpit and samsung androids for the new AVOD, I would think they would want a harmonized platform to save money buying these tablets
Not necessarily.

The cockpits and cabins are two different departments, as far as provisioning is concerned. Besides, the in-cabin Samsung tablet is most likely heavily subsidized by Samsung for the potential brand exposure, while there is no such sponsorship inside the cockpit.

The required software may also only be available on iPad at the moment.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Not necessarily.

The cockpits and cabins are two different departments, as far as provisioning is concerned. Besides, the in-cabin Samsung tablet is most likely heavily subsidized by Samsung for the potential brand exposure, while there is no such sponsorship inside the cockpit.

The required software may also only be available on iPad at the moment.
Did not think of the possibility of samsung subsidizing the AVOD tablets, that would be a lot cheaper than just a bulk apple purchase
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
But, seriously, what's the answer to the question--

If electronic devices interfere with navigation below 10K feet...but not when pilots use them?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:55 am

The ipads the pilots are using , are not off the shelf units. They are slightly modified and then certified by an outside company to meet FAA requirements. I was reading in jetnet that it costs around $250 per unit for the mod and certification.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by grumpymonkey
If electronic devices interfere with navigation below 10K feet...but not when pilots use them?
Just further proof of what most everyone agrees is a nonsense "rule" that the airlines just keep perpetrating.

Oh well.

Dave
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA LFT. PLAT
FAA approved using iPad's on American Airlines entire fleet.. Although they will start with the 777 and go from there. They can use the Ipad from push out to docking at gate.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-57...ughout-planes/
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by atrainexp22
FAA approved using iPad's on American Airlines entire fleet.. Although they will start with the 777 and go from there. They can use the Ipad from push out to docking at gate.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-57...ughout-planes/
Does this mean we can use ours as well? Hope so
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by jrhone
The ipads the pilots are using , are not off the shelf units. They are slightly modified and then certified by an outside company to meet FAA requirements. I was reading in jetnet that it costs around $250 per unit for the mod and certification.
I doubt they need to physically remove Wifi or 3G function... those can be easily disabled via custom firmware instead.

the modification, likely for water-proofing and shock resistance case etc.
just my guess.

nevertheless, even you can obtain a such FAA certified iPad your friendly FA still would kick you off plane if you don't turn it off during take off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.