Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Award Flights To IST mid Sept, 2011 -- Do I Believe AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, mainly
No Award Flights To IST mid Sept, 2011 -- Do I Believe AA?

Trying to use award mileage for a mid-September cruise out of Istanbul, and AA shows no availability. There's availability from ORD to HTR and MAD, of course, but no award connections to Turkey. Two award desk agents have told me things may open and to keep checking back, but I'm tempted to pay for this one out of my pocket so I can get aboard the only ORD-IST nonstop on Turkish. Are flights to/from Istanbul typically low or no award availability?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA doesn't fly its own planes to IST. All partner carrier travel is sAAver level or not available.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by copyace
Trying to use award mileage for a mid-September cruise out of Istanbul, and AA shows no availability. There's availability from ORD to HTR and MAD, of course, but no award connections to Turkey. Two award desk agents have told me things may open and to keep checking back, but I'm tempted to pay for this one out of my pocket so I can get aboard the only ORD-IST nonstop on Turkish. Are flights to/from Istanbul typically low or no award availability?
If at first you don't succeed, there numerous alternatives out there.

What is your priority: is it saving money? If so, you may need to sacrifice adding extra connections. For example, check and see if ORD-JFK-BUD-IST is available using AA and MA.

Are you flexible with time a bit so that if IST isn't available, maybe some other European city nearby that is accessible to IST via a train or a cheap European LCC?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
What do you think OW is? Star or SkyTeam? You wouldn't expect them to be competitive in their offerings would you?

I don't see how there can be zero availability on any OW airline west of IST to get there.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by demkr
What do you think OW is? Star or SkyTeam? You wouldn't expect them to be competitive in their offerings would you?

I don't see how there can be zero availability on any OW airline west of IST to get there.
No I fly One World because flights are actually available unlike on Star and for a reasonable number of points unlike SkyTeam.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by sts603
No I fly One World because flights are actually available unlike on Star and for a reasonable number of points unlike SkyTeam.
I agree with this--mainly because the only destination I really fly to outside the US is LHR and the premium experience is insurmountable anywhere else maybe outside of FRA.

If I had to go somewhere else though, I'd really like to see a couple more european destinations on AA metal like in the early 2000s (MUC, ARN)-even AMS.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you have an award coming back?......

what will the cruise air do for you?.....sometimes you can get j for a decent price....

good luck...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
IST availability

For what it's worth, I checked KVS for a couple of days in Sept. and found no availability in any class. It's possible that, as another poster suggested, you may have better luck if you ask the agent to build the itinerary leg by leg. For what it's worth, the BA site shows no availability for September or October.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by demkr
I agree with this--mainly because the only destination I really fly to outside the US is LHR and the premium experience is insurmountable anywhere else maybe outside of FRA.

If I had to go somewhere else though, I'd really like to see a couple more european destinations on AA metal like in the early 2000s (MUC, ARN)-even AMS.
Other than the F terminal at FRA - the premium experience sucks there just like the rest of that airport.

OW has better award availability far beyond LHR.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:46 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I just picked a day at random (Sept. 17) and IB has 2+ Y and J award seats on 2 different MAD-IST flights, same thing coming back (Sept. 24.) I also have to think that it would be a piece of cake from BUD.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Months ago my father tried to book award tickets back to the US from IST. He called a few times and kept getting a no. It took me about 5 minutes on Expert Flyer to find the open seats he wanted on the dates of his choice.

Turns out, in our case at least, that the AAgents didn't bother checking any partners other than BA. They ended up being able to choose between Malev and Iberia.

Take your time, do your homework BEFORE you call AA and keep trying until you find what you'd like.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
FWIW, I purchased a IST-LHR ticket back in March and was able to upgrade using AA miles. I have been checking since early May for an upgrade seat on the previous day, but no luck. Neither the BA A3nn or B767 flights have availability. Oh well I guess I will just have to rough it at the Ritz Carlton for an extra night.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
It was a huge blow (for us at least) when Turkish ended their relationship with OW a couple years back...that effectively killed the only non-stop JFK-IST flight in the alliance. Now we maintain a balance of Dividend Miles so we can continue to fly that route on TK...lest we be forced to fly DL.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
It was a huge blow (for us at least) when Turkish ended their relationship with OW a couple years back...that effectively killed the only non-stop JFK-IST flight in the alliance. Now we maintain a balance of Dividend Miles so we can continue to fly that route on TK...lest we be forced to fly DL.
I don't think Turkish was ever part of OW. It may have been an AA partner like OZ once was, but they were not a part of the alliance.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I don't think Turkish was ever part of OW. It may have been an AA partner like OZ once was, but they were not a part of the alliance.
That is correct, they were not a OW member. But they did have a relationship with AA and we were able to make several award reservations using AA miles before that ended (around the time they became an official *A member I believe.) Having flown on other carriers and stopping at Frankfurt, London, or wherever at the equivalent of 3 o'clock in the morning, it goes without saying that I much prefer the non-stop route on TK. I can't see booking travel to IST on OW going forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.