Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seemingly Unexplainable Flight Cancelations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by demkr
I had asked AA to book me on any airline, at any time (hey, didn't I just sound like that CapitalOne commercial? :-P). Finally told the AAgent that they ruined my Memorial Day. Plenty of DL flights were open to MSP that day. Two AAgents refused, third AAgent was sympathetic and offered the voucher and full refund.
Are EXPs the only ones who can get rebooked on any airline? I've had two flights cancelled recently and I'm wondering what my options are. I'm PLAT btw.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OTOH, I have been rebooked due to both mechanical and weather conditions - due to weather, on BA, UA and US, as far as a quick recollection goes.

Originally Posted by alfagirl
Hmmm....interesting. Because I did get through to AA Plat on 5/24 and the agent told me she saw an Alaska flight that she could put me on, but when she tried to do it, it was not available; then she said there was a USAirways flight, and the same thing happened. Maybe she didn't realize she couldn't book me on another carrier (makes sense).
I think I learned something new today! thanks
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:35 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Bad weather day at ORD. Same weather for all.

Case in point via flightstats:

Total cancellations, United Airlines mainline. Departures: 1, Arrivals: 2
Total cancellations, American Airlines mainline. Departures: 34, Arrivals 34

On time departure/arrival rates for UA mainline at ORD: 59%/70%
On time departure/arrival rates for AA mainline at ORD: 5%/52%

I don't know how much bigger of a gap there can be in all the statistics, time after time. What is the issue at AA with departures and cancellations?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I don't know how much bigger of a gap there can be in all the statistics, time after time. What is the issue at AA with departures and cancellations?
Since you have actual statistics, I'd pose the question to them. The first answer will be boilerplate, but I'd suggest persisting. Many have commented on the perception that AA cancels more. With hard data like these, it will be harder for AA to shrug this off. This is not a little variation - this is compelling.

On the bright side, AA isn't much behind in the ontime arrival statistics...for the flights that went out

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:02 am

I have one statistic to add.

On May 13, I am scheduled to fly from ORD-YOW at 1pm. Flight cancelled and rebooked to the flight at 3pm. 3pm flight is also cancelled and rebooked to the one at 9pm. Finally the flight at 9pm operated.

The 9pm 50-seat CRJ plane is not full - probably has around 10-20 empty seats. I was expecting a full load of people when 3 flights all lumped into 1.

I am speculating that weather @ ORD is the trigger to cancel flights, but the real intention is to cut cost and makes easier to recover after severe weather.

I phoned the PLT desk and ask to rebook to an UA flight at 4pm, without checking even for 1 second - the agent said the UA flight is full. My Company's travel agent said the UA flight is bookable.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:41 am

Bad weather day at ORD. Same weather for all.

Case in point via flightstats:

Total cancellations, United Airlines mainline. Departures: 1, Arrivals: 2
Total cancellations, American Airlines mainline. Departures: 34, Arrivals 34

On time departure/arrival rates for UA mainline at ORD: 59%/70%
On time departure/arrival rates for AA mainline at ORD: 5%/52%

Was that yesterday? My daughter was traveling AA from MIA to ORD she got a 3hr delay due to weather. I first looked at the ATCSCC site and saw no delays showing for ORD, I then went on Flightstats and I was amazed at the number of AA flights cancelled into ORD compared to all other airlines. Same originations, really made no sense?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
One more to add:

May 13th, PHX-ORD around 10:15am departure, cancelled. According to EXP desk, Air Craft pulled out of service. Rebooked on 4:30pm flight, was able to change to a connection through DFW and got in ORD an hour late than original direct flight.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
There were three of us flying into LGA Saturday, returning Tues or Weds. My sister on AA out of ORD - had both her in-bound and out-bound flight canceled. Luckily, enough flights on that route that she was rebooked into something less than 90 minutes different. On return they called her early enough in day that she was able to confirm new flight and save the 90 minutes of quality time at LGA.

My niece was flying United (also ORD); I was flying Delta - no issues on either. Because I was checking flight status over the course of trip, I did notice that AA had canceled a few flights on that route both days - not so on United or Delta.

Did not seem to be weather issues in any of our cities - but I suppose the weather dominoes could have been falling somewhere else.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

UnfortunatelyI've noticed this for awhile now. Reliability seems to be not a concern for American. When theres bad weather at a station it affects all airlines, but AAs departure delays and cancellations appear to be significantly higher than everyone else's in every metric.

If you look at flightstats you will see this is true for on-time departures, taxi times (also higher on AA).
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:27 pm

Reliability seems to be not a concern for American.
It isn't a concern at all. Remember, we have a dimwitted accountant running (ruining?) the airline. Accountants are myopic by definition. The mind of the accountant is always focused on the immediate details rather than the long term strategic picture. An accountant will save a penny by screwing the customer right now even if it means losing a dollar in future revenue due to the loss of good will.

Fire Arpey, save American Airlines. It really is that simple.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 2:43 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Reliability seems to be not a concern for American.
No kidding. I sent an email about a particular flight that is routinely delayed (the stats are terrible). It arrives to DFW late, but there still should be enough time to turn it (45 minutes or more). Still goes out late. "Cleaning." Disappearing GAs....

In an email from them, the respondent pretty much said "we're not responsible (in any compensatory way) even for the things under our control."

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Resolution to OP

Just wanted to follow up after my original post:

My friend sent an email to AA Customer Relations and they emailed back with the simple apology, nothing we can do etc...(PM me if you'd like to see the response.)

My friend was dissatisfied, as he should be, provided they told him all of the other flights were canceled, when in fact they weren't. After all of the back and forth, AA apologized and refunded him the full price of both his and his companion's ticket.

Thanks to those of you supplying Flightstats data - It was very valuable information when making his case.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:03 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Most welcome. I sure do hope one day we can move forward with better performance
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:37 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I am starting to show my age. 15 years ago I can remember sweating out 3 or 4 inches of snow at ORD and wondering if that would cancel my flights. Now
I worry about flurries, dark clouds and light drizzle. It's hard to believe how far things have fallen. To a certain extent I blame whoever is in charge of allowing the airlines to add whatever flights they want at whatever time they want them, because they are now defining a system that only works under perfect conditions. If slot control is the answer it would actually work to AA's advantage over all but UA.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
The question is whether airlines should be liable for weather delays or not. Airlines can position themselves to cripple if there is bad weather, but they can also choose routes and hubs that can reduce the load during bad weather rather than crippling the entire network. Bad weather is a normal part of operating an airline, and airlines should be prepared to deal with their effects. But as of now, with zero liability, there is no incentive to do so at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.