Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

No more free snacks/drinks for Platinum / PLT on American Eagle (as of 6/1/11) ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more free snacks/drinks for Platinum / PLT on American Eagle (as of 6/1/11) ???

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Plat Hhonors Gold
I was thinking about taking American Eagle from DFW to CRP even though it probably makes more sense to drive at their current fares ($105 each way or $.30 per mile). This probably pushes me over the edge toward driving. It really didn't make much sense to fly after considering airport parking and transportation costs in CRP anyway.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PLT 2M, DL GM
Originally Posted by mreed911
Pay for upgrades?

The stickers I earn are free. Not unlimited, but free.
I think the point lobo was trying to make is that stickers are a form of currency - you earn them by putting your butt in a seat for X thousand miles, and you have a limited supply of them to "spend" on upgrades. I'm permanent AA PLAT and recently hit DL GLD, and every time I get upgraded on DL without having to request it or use some of my limited supply of certificates I really do feel like I'm getting something for free. Not so when I cash in certificates on AA.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:14 am
SK

Pity. For those of us who live in American Eagle stations, it is indeed a noticeable loss. Being Platinum in such airports means that most of the Platinum benefits, during traveling itself, are of no consequence:
Priority check-in is irrelevant at such small airports, priority boarding has almost no value (because carry-on will go to Valet, and the number of people boarding the plane is so small anyway), there is no First to upgrade to, "preferred economy class seating" is again almost irrelevant in a ERJ-145, etc. So the free drink/snack was almost the only "perk", even symbolic, to differentiate the experience.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SK
Pity. For those of us who live in American Eagle stations, it is indeed a noticeable loss. Being Platinum in such airports means that most of the Platinum benefits, during traveling itself, are of no consequence:
Priority check-in is irrelevant at such small airports, priority boarding has almost no value (because carry-on will go to Valet, and the number of people boarding the plane is so small anyway), there is no First to upgrade to, "preferred economy class seating" is again almost irrelevant in a ERJ-145, etc. So the free drink/snack was almost the only "perk", even symbolic, to differentiate the experience.
I'd say that access to exit rows and preferred A seats up front on ERJs are a bigger perk that the free drink ever was.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sts603
I'd say that access to exit rows and preferred A seats up front on ERJs are a bigger perk that the free drink ever was.
Yeah, but I believe the point is that there is no benefit to being PLT vs GLD in SK's case. For what it's worth, I used to specifically pick AE flights even when there was a mainline alternative just because I got a free snack. If the flight is only 45 minutes long, it's a little pointless to pay for an upgrade when you get the same drink service in Y.
Old May 31, 2011, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by norf9
Yeah, but I believe the point is that there is no benefit to being PLT vs GLD in SK's case. For what it's worth, I used to specifically pick AE flights even when there was a mainline alternative just because I got a free snack. If the flight is only 45 minutes long, it's a little pointless to pay for an upgrade when you get the same drink service in Y.
I think the idea that each status tier should have a different in-flight experience on all flights is a little bit of a reach.

Furthermore, while I've had some terrific crews on Eagle (there are relatively more enthusiastic FAs working for Eagle than Mainline IMHO) I would never choose an Eagle flight over mainline. Plus, the upgrade isn't just about service. There's the whole bigger seat thing too.
Old May 31, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sts603
I think the idea that each status tier should have a different in-flight experience on all flights is a little bit of a reach.

Furthermore, while I've had some terrific crews on Eagle (there are relatively more enthusiastic FAs working for Eagle than Mainline IMHO) I would never choose an Eagle flight over mainline. Plus, the upgrade isn't just about service. There's the whole bigger seat thing too.
I actually like the one-seater better than the ones in the mainline, although I wish they had power ports too. They should make all those single-seats for elites only.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
OK, the free drink yeah. But to feel left out on because you can't get a stale, sodium ridden bag of junk.
I believe the only snacks offered on Eagle are the the Fisher almonds and trail mix.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by sukn
I believe the only snacks offered on Eagle are the the Fisher almonds and trail mix.
Also the cheese/crackers option, if loaded by catering. I've had it twice in the last year, once as PLT and once as GLD connecting from first class.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Didn't we PLTs just get kicked down a peg at boarding with the new process?
No. Previous official order was First, then EXP/PLT (although there are unofficial variations many of us experienced, such as First then Priority Access, First then EXP then PA, and my personal favorite: "y'all come").

Now it is First/EXP/Military, then PLT (domestic flights). You are still in the 2nd group, just that all the EXPs will be ahead of you in another group (although most are probably already upgraded on domestic flights due to unlimited upgrades, probably something that factored into this decision).
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Does anyone have an update on this change and specifically when it will take place? The thread title says "June 1", but other posts say "end of June" or "July 1". As it turns out, as a GLD I am connecting from FC (sticker upgrade) to an AE flight tomorrow, June 2, and I'm curious about the policy with respect to passengers connecting from FC.

If the change did take place today, June 1, then possibly someone on FT has already experienced the new policy.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by sukn
I got a cheese and cracker snack box (it was the first time I saw it) on an ERJ from DFW-SPI back in March. The cheese was rubbery but otherwise pretty good. Came with raisins and shortbread cookies.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:32 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Eye of Storm
Does anyone have an update on this change and specifically when it will take place? The thread title says "June 1", but other posts say "end of June" or "July 1". As it turns out, as a GLD I am connecting from FC (sticker upgrade) to an AE flight tomorrow, June 2, and I'm curious about the policy with respect to passengers connecting from FC.

If the change did take place today, June 1, then possibly someone on FT has already experienced the new policy.
That's my mistake - will fix the title. Sorry.
/Moderator

Originally Posted by favalarry69
I am on an American Eagle flight and as of July 1st no more free alcohol or snacks for anyone except EXP or first class....American Airlines is getting worse.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Azulcactus
No. Previous official order was First, then EXP/PLT (although there are unofficial variations many of us experienced, such as First then Priority Access, First then EXP then PA, and my personal favorite: "y'all come").

Now it is First/EXP/Military, then PLT (domestic flights). You are still in the 2nd group, just that all the EXPs will be ahead of you in another group (although most are probably already upgraded on domestic flights due to unlimited upgrades, probably something that factored into this decision).
OT but I love the new boarding order. They are even implementing it on AE which is great, people just haven't started listening yet.

PLTs haven't lost their boarding position, they have just be segregated from EXPs, and in all reality, how many EXPs are there on a plane? If there are 30, then there are 60 PLT and they divided it up anyway. Kudos to AA for not making EXPs enter with the cattle herd of PLTs.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eye of Storm
Does anyone have an update on this change and specifically when it will take place? If the change did take place today, June 1, then possibly someone on FT has already experienced the new policy.
Apparently it is indeed June 1. On tonight's 9:40PM ORD-PIT flight, FA announced the change, along the lines of "...some of our AAdvantage members are entitled to complimentary snacks and beverages. Effective today, the company has changed that policy. Only EXPs, Airpass, CK and military in uniform are now eligible for these complimentary items. I do have a list of those eligible pax so let me know if you wish anything." And she did, handing me the trail mix without questioning my status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.