Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

No more free snacks/drinks for Platinum / PLT on American Eagle (as of 6/1/11) ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more free snacks/drinks for Platinum / PLT on American Eagle (as of 6/1/11) ???

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by demkr
Why should PLTs/GLDs fly AA metal anyway? Pay for upgrades, no benefits in Y, etc. They're almost asking for them to leave.
Even one couldn't leave when he/she is in LT status.

Back to the topic, depreciation of GLD/PLT would just make the airline much less appealing to the competitors.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
Originally Posted by soccerpapi
...connecting AA First Class passengers on American Eagle flights getting free drinks and snacks...
I certainly agree with soccerpapi on this -- it's annoying enough whenever I connect to AE after flying from FRA in J but then to drop this little perk (admittedly one that's hit or miss) for PLATs, well, it's more than a little insulting.
Old May 28, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
That's the benefit of an unpublished benefit. They have an excuse when it's taken away, to argue that it was never there in the first place.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Why should PLTs/GLDs fly AA metal anyway? Pay for upgrades, no benefits in Y, etc. They're almost asking for them to leave.
Pay for upgrades?

The stickers I earn are free. Not unlimited, but free.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:36 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what keeps you flying AA?
Old May 28, 2011, 11:39 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alka
I certainly agree with soccerpapi on this -- it's annoying enough whenever I connect to AE after flying from FRA in J but then to drop this little perk (admittedly one that's hit or miss) for PLATs, well, it's more than a little insulting.
Connecting from Business to AE still entitles you to this benefit.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by HNL
what keeps you flying AA?
-Very inflexible policy for non-leisure travel. This part is out of my hands

The remaining +'s: Hotel CPM redemptions for EXPs on leisure trips, showers in the AC, 99%+ on upgrades
Old May 28, 2011, 1:03 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-Very inflexible policy for non-leisure travel. This part is out of my hands

The remaining +'s: Hotel CPM redemptions for EXPs on leisure trips, showers in the AC, 99%+ on upgrades
how is it with the self described benefits why are you the #1 complainer and extend reular threats to flee to Delta or other airlies? You are a loud complainer yet a frequent customer, theses are at odds. Any insight you an share?
Old May 28, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
Originally Posted by Alka
Originally Posted by HNL
Connecting from Business to AE still entitles you to this benefit.
Good to know, but how do I clue in the FA on this? Boarding pass?
Old May 28, 2011, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
Pay for upgrades?

The stickers I earn are free. Not unlimited, but free.
Not free by any definition:

Money: Any object or record (a sticker) that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services (an upgrade) and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context (AAdvantage). The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally in the past, a standard of deferred payment.

pay: 2. to give over (a certain amount of money--stickers) in exchange for something (an upgrade): He paid twenty dollars for the shirt.
Old May 28, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by lobo411
Not free by any definition:

Money: Any object or record (a sticker) that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services (an upgrade) and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context (AAdvantage). The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally in the past, a standard of deferred payment.

pay: 2. to give over (a certain amount of money--stickers) in exchange for something (an upgrade): He paid twenty dollars for the shirt.
Free. I pay NO extra money to earn the stickers. I pay the cheapest fare, which is the same whether or not I'm in AAdvantage, and whether or not I have enough status to earn stickers.

There is no cost to me to earn or use stickers. They are, by definition, FREE:

"Adverb: Without cost or payment: "ladies were admitted free"."
Old May 28, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
This is a little disappointing. Although, I wasn't offered the free drink most of the time, I did ask once or twice & was never turned down. It definitely makes taking Eagle acceptable for me if I can get a free drink. In fact, I was starting to book Eagle intentionally through ORD instead of mainline through DFW when traveling to destinations where the time/cost of either option was about the same. After this change, I will go back to mainline through DFW as option 1.
Old May 28, 2011, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
Free. I pay NO extra money to earn the stickers. I pay the cheapest fare, which is the same whether or not I'm in AAdvantage, and whether or not I have enough status to earn stickers.

There is no cost to me to earn or use stickers. They are, by definition, FREE:

"Adverb: Without cost or payment: "ladies were admitted free"."
You also pay no extra money to mow someone's lawn, to build widgets, or manage a factory, for which you will receive cash compensation. And it costs you nothing to trade the cash you earn for goods and services.

Does that make cash free?
Old May 28, 2011, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
You also pay no extra money to mow someone's lawn, for which you will receive cash compensation. And it costs you nothing to use cash.

Does that make cash free?
I'm not clear on the relationship. How is me paying to fly and getting not only the flight but an additional benefit in any way comparable to performing work for payment?

You're creating a false dilemma. In your example I perform work for cash, thus cash is earned.

In my example, I pay cash for a product (travel to a destination) and receive a benefit (upgrade vouchers) as a benefit without altering the price or product.

To be closer to your example, it's the same as paying someone to mow my lawn (paying for work) vs. paying someone to mow my lawn who offers me coupons such that when I accumulate enough I can choose to cash them in to have the hedges trimmed, too, at no additional charge and with no additional requirements or cost at any point in the process vs. me simply obtaining the lawn mowings that I [would have] paid for anyway.

Bottom line? AA does not charge me any more, there's an accrued benefit of tangible value, and I can use it without additional cost (assuming I'm still going to travel) or I can not use it - either way there is no cost associated with either choice.

That, by definition (no cost to acquire something of value, namely a better seat) is free.
Old May 28, 2011, 3:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
To those for whom this benefit was so important as to take your business to another airline, would United Express or Delta Connection provide free drinks in Y to 1Ps or GMs? I'm not being a jerk, I really don't know. I have two good friends that are 1Ps on UA and neither are aware of such a perk, although one of them also didn't know about lounge access on international flights either so... their knowledge is not exhaustive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.