Wiki Posts
Search

Ticketed but not paid

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM
Ticketed but not paid

I booked a ticket for my aunt back on April 24th with her credit card. I initially looked at the itinerary through her name and the record locator because she doesn't have an AA account and I wanted to have access to her itinerary. Right after I booked it, it said purchased as I expected it to. The next day I looked at it again to change her seat and it said "ticketed" so I thought everything was fine.

She gets to the airport on May 19th and the ticket counter person says you don't have a ticket for this flight. The ticket counter person said something is wrong because I see your ticket and says "ticketed" but your credit card was declined?? She tried to fix it but eventually told my aunt there isn't anything she can do and if she wants to get to her destination she must purchase a new ticket.

The original ticket was $259.40 but on the day of travel the price was about $600. I have purchased a lot of tickets and I thought once it went "ticketed" payment had been made and everything was a go???

Is there anyway to get them to honor the original ticket price?

Thanks,
Rod
Old May 25, 2011, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Rodraid
I booked a ticket for my aunt back on April 24th with her credit card. I initially looked at the itinerary through her name and the record locator because she doesn't have an AA account and I wanted to have access to her itinerary. Right after I booked it, it said purchased as I expected it to. The next day I looked at it again to change her seat and it said "ticketed" so I thought everything was fine.

She gets to the airport on May 19th and the ticket counter person says you don't have a ticket for this flight. The ticket counter person said something is wrong because I see your ticket and says "ticketed" but your credit card was declined?? She tried to fix it but eventually told my aunt there isn't anything she can do and if she wants to get to her destination she must purchase a new ticket.

The original ticket was $259.40 but on the day of travel the price was about $600. I have purchased a lot of tickets and I thought once it went "ticketed" payment had been made and everything was a go???

Thanks,
Rod
Was the card declined? Was it charged? If the card was declined, I don't know why they would honor the original price
Old May 25, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rodraid

Thanks,
Rod
Keyword - payment had not been made because the card is declined.

Your post seems to be the 2nd one on similar case I read about today - the other one was a $200 x 4 = $800 charge that the card is declined, therefore no ticket.

I always wonder why a charge of several hundreds on airline ticket did not show up on people's credit card and people do not know about it? Or they secretly hope the airline had some glitch and they would get a free flight, or the charge would appear much later but they would be just fine to fly on the tickets they had purchased but never paid yet?

I dont understand this kind of oversight. It is not like $20 bucks, but $200+ and in the other case, $800+...

On top of that, despite the status changed to "ticketed" - an e-ticket should land in your inbox within the next 24 hours. If that does not show up on schedule, then there is something wrong and you need to look at. Also, once it is truly ticketed, the button of Print Itinerary and Receipt would show up, at least that is for all domestic tickets with AA being the 1st carrier.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:44 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I don't know about "getting them" to do it, because I'm sure that they have some way to weasel out of this (and I don't know all of the legal nuances). However, I fully believe that they have an obligation to have notified you/your aunt sooner if the card was declined, and certainly not to have marked it as "Ticketed" and acted as if all were good until she was at the airport.

I would call CS and appeal to them (as EXP) on the grounds of common sense. It may take several calls, but I would hope that someone will realize just whose screw-up this was.

Edit: Wow, I'm really going to have to disagree with the two folks who posted above while I was typing. The system should not go to Ticketed (the final state) if it is not. Sure, people could/should look at their credit cards, but that doesn't let a poorly-designed system off the hook.

Good luck!

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
I always wonder why a charge of several hundreds on airline ticket did not show up on people's credit card and people do not know about it? Or they secretly hope the airline had some glitch and they would get a free flight, or the charge would appear much later but they would be just fine to fly on the tickets they had purchased but never paid yet?

I dont understand this kind of oversight. It is not like $20 bucks, but $200+ and in the other case, $800+...

On top of that, despite the status changed to "ticketed" - an e-ticket should land in your inbox within the next 24 hours. If that does not show up on schedule, then there is something wrong and you need to look at. Also, once it is truly ticketed, the button of Print Itinerary and Receipt would show up, at least that is for all domestic tickets with AA being the 1st carrier.
Probably due to OP using aunt's credit card and possibly email. I have relatives who, if I did what the OP did, wouldn't pick up on any of these clues either.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:49 pm

I agree some fault should be with AA. I seem to recall the last time my CC was declined the system stayed on 'Purchased', but it was still my responsibility to call in and get the hold released. AA should do a better job in handling card declines.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
I don't know about "getting them" to do it, because I'm sure that they have some way to weasel out of this (and I don't know all of the legal nuances). However, I fully believe that they have an obligation to have notified you/your aunt sooner if the card was declined, and certainly not to have marked it as "Ticketed" and acted as if all were good until she was at the airport.

I would call CS and appeal to them (as EXP) on the grounds of common sense. It may take several calls, but I would hope that someone will realize just whose screw-up this was.

Edit: Wow, I'm really going to have to disagree with the two folks who posted above while I was typing. The system should not go to Ticketed (the final state) if it is not. Sure, people could/should look at their credit cards, but that doesn't let a poorly-designed system off the hook.

Good luck!

Cheers.
I believe the system would send a test on the CC when ticketed - if the $1 charge went through, the system would then change to ticketed because the card was seemingly good. When is the actual ticket price is sent through? I have no idea - but based on the delayed e-ticket email sometimes hours after status changed, I may guess the actual charge might be in queue for batch processing - then at processing the card was declined for whatever reason(s) - sometimes could be as simple as communication failure at the moment and the request did not go through - just as you would occasionally encounter at the POS counter and your card has to be swiped a few times before it went through...

Of course an automatic email notification such as Amazon would do, to inform you the card is being declined on your purchase, would be a desired approach. Amazon does those $1 tests all the time when you first placed your orders but at shipment it would of course authorize it again - too often a big ticket item such as a flat screen TV, the charge would be declined if your banks are on super sensitive alert system - then Amazon would generate an automatic email to tell you so, despite sometimes such emails could land in your spam box ... Ideally, we would like AA system to have such function as well...

However, I still think the responsibility still lies with the purchaser to monitor the purchase price has been correctly charged and the e-ticket has arrived to ensure the process, i.e. the purchase, is completed.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siankaan1
Probably due to OP using aunt's credit card and possibly email. I have relatives who, if I did what the OP did, wouldn't pick up on any of these clues either.
So if your relatives purchase something for several hundreds of dollars, yet their cards do not show such charge, they wouldn't pick up such clue that the purchase is not complete?

Missing the email is understandable. Missing several hundreds of charge on one's credit card on a purchase made is hard to believe.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:09 pm

So if your relatives purchase something for several hundreds of dollars, yet their cards do not show such charge, they wouldn't pick up such clue that the purchase is not complete?

Missing the email is understandable. Missing several hundreds of charge on one's credit card on a purchase made is hard to believe.
My mother in law is in her 80's and an excellent example. My dad is approaching 80 and I'm starting to worry about his forgetfulness. I don't know how many times I've told him how the interest on his iBonds work, and every time it comes as a revelation. It's a very delicate business, helping people gracefully lose their independence and capability, especially the people to whom in some sense you'll always be their child. Don't be so quick to judge people.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:15 pm

There are also a lot of people who make purchases, and just pay the bills at the end of the month without actually auditing to see if all the charges are correct. I'm not saying that's financially the best thing to do, but a lot of people probably do just that.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by siankaan1
My mother in law is in her 80's and an excellent example. My dad is approaching 80 and I'm starting to worry about his forgetfulness. I don't know how many times I've told him how the interest on his iBonds work, and every time it comes as a revelation. It's a very delicate business, helping people gracefully lose their independence and capability, especially the people to whom in some sense you'll always be their child. Don't be so quick to judge people.
I live in a complex where up until the housing bubble, was populated by seniors retired from their cold NE homes. I fully understand the dilemma you are facing.

Your case is different - in your case someone needs to take over the management of their finance and such due to their age. It is certainly not an easy task to persuade aging parents to let their children handling their finances but to their and your interests, this needs to be done. I hope at the minimum you have a POA in place so in the emergency you can exercise it.

However, in the OP's scenario, even his aunt might be in the similar situation as your aging parents, since OP booked her ticket, he should have monitored the ticketing - by a simple act of printing the RECEIPT. The button of the Print Receipt and Itinerary would NOT show up if the ticket is not paid yet.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Was the card declined? If so, AA is under no obligation to either issue a ticket or to honor a fare on a ticket which was not properly paid for. You are lucky that there was still a seat for your aunt. When booking, you can list a secondary email for exactly this reason (where, as here you were booking for your aunt on her credit card). That way, you would have been alerted to not receiving the e-ticket notification.

Charges on my business and personal credit cards show up as "PENDING" within minutes. When they don't, I know that something has gone wrong.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
There are also a lot of people who make purchases, and just pay the bills at the end of the month without actually auditing to see if all the charges are correct. I'm not saying that's financially the best thing to do, but a lot of people probably do just that.
That is not a good excuse to push the responsibility to AA about the ticket is not actually ticketed.

As they say, Innocence is no defense, you know?
Old May 25, 2011, 5:26 pm

That is not a good excuse to push the responsibility to AA about the ticket is not actually ticketed.
Oh no. I'm not saying it's AA's responsibility. I was just saying I understand a lot of people don't check the bills to see if they were charged.

Why would AA's system show ticketed in the first place? I would say more than checking card statements, something should have been seen as fishy when an actual ticket that you could change seats on never appeared. I assume that when the card was declined, the record was taken off.

However, given the older age, some loved one should have been in charge of this whole thing.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin

However, given the older age, some loved one should have been in charge of this whole thing.
These threads remind me of that campfire game "pass it on". We have no idea how old the OP's aunt was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.