Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Etihad to ORD connecting to AA?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Flying Etihad to ORD connecting to AA?

If you are on a AA ticktet flying EY to ORD and Connecting to an AA flight to CLT do you clear customs at ORD or are you in transit still?
Old May 25, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
You will clear customs at ORD and then transfer to Terminal 3 to catch your AA flight.
Old May 25, 2011, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA GLD, SPG GLD
ORD. AFAIK (and please correct me if I'm wrong) you always clear US customs/immigration on the first US destination in your itinerary. I'd bet it is true for any country without some kind of free travel agreement like the EU.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Etihad to AA at ORD: When you arrive in the USA from another country, unless you have precleared, and regardless of whether you are connecting to a domestic or another international flight, you must clear U S Customs and Border Protection Immigration, collect your baggage and process Customs before you recheck your bags (and proceed landside to yet again process Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security procedures to get airside again.

At Chicago O'Hare that means arriving at Terminal 5, the International Terminal, and when you are done with formalities check your bags back in before exiting the Customs hall, go upstairs to take the ATS train to Terminal 3 (American Airlines) to proceed through Security (assuming you have ongoing boarding passes, or you will have to check in with AA first).

Link to ORD terminals map.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:01 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LGAoverJFK
ORD. AFAIK (and please correct me if I'm wrong) you always clear US customs/immigration on the first US destination in your itinerary. I'd bet it is true for any country without some kind of free travel agreement like the EU.
It's not just ORD. ALL inbound international flights to the US (including territories) require all passengers to clear immigration and customs formalities at the first point of entry (except select departure points with pre-clearance facilities). This is true even if a passengers is In-transit to another international destination.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Ok thanks, I wasn't sure where you clear customs now I know.
Old May 25, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
It's not just ORD. ALL inbound international flights to the US (including territories) require all passengers to clear immigration and customs formalities at the first point of entry (except select departure points with pre-clearance facilities). This is true even if a passengers is In-transit to another international destination.
uhh, isn't that what I said?
Old May 25, 2011, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

One more question,

If the ticket is purchased on AA.com but the flight is operated by EY what is baggage rule, is it still two checked bags or one checked bag?

Last edited by ewrfox; May 25, 2011 at 4:43 pm
Old May 25, 2011, 5:07 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ewrfox
One more question,

If the ticket is purchased on AA.com but the flight is operated by EY what is baggage rule, is it still two checked bags or one checked bag?
The rule of the operating carrier applies.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:23 pm

It is.
Old May 25, 2011, 5:30 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I missed the "just" in your post. Maybe all the meat I eat is effecting my eyesight
Old May 25, 2011, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
The rule of the operating carrier applies.
Thanks. The booking on AA says its "on request" how long before it changes to "Ticketed" as there is a another reservation on different airline which is $400 more and it needs to be purchased soon or it'll cancel and if the AA booking wont confirm then it'll be a mess..
Old May 25, 2011, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
I missed the "just" in your post. Maybe all the meat I eat is effecting my eyesight
Sure, if by "missed" you mean "added". No worries.
Old May 25, 2011, 7:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It depends on how far out the booking is. You could call if it doesn't ticket and provide you with a ticket number.

Originally Posted by ewrfox
Thanks. The booking on AA says its "on request" how long before it changes to "Ticketed" as there is a another reservation on different airline which is $400 more and it needs to be purchased soon or it'll cancel and if the AA booking wont confirm then it'll be a mess..
Old May 25, 2011, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
It depends on how far out the booking is. You could call if it doesn't ticket and provide you with a ticket number.
It’s no use anymore, the AUH-ORD leg couldn’t be confirmed as the fare for the booked class isn’t available anymore and would have to pay 400 more to change the class and it isn’t guaranteed to be confirmed.. So I’ll just go with the booking that is confirmed...

Thanks for all your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.