Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD Weather 25 May 2011 Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
ORD Weather 25 May 2011 Thread

Strong thunderstorms, high winds, and hail are expected in Chicagoland tomorrow.

Starting the thread early for discussions.

UA has issued waivers for those traveling to/from/through ORD tomorrow, and as of 5:40 PM PDT, AA has not. (I've seen this movie before!)

Anyone else have a flight plan for tomorrow? I'm hoping they issue waivers so I can change my connecting city.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by demkr
Strong thunderstorms, high winds, and hail are expected in Chicagoland tomorrow.

Starting the thread early for discussions.

UA has issued waivers for those traveling to/from/through ORD tomorrow, and as of 5:40 PM PDT, AA has not. (I've seen this movie before!)

Anyone else have a flight plan for tomorrow? I'm hoping they issue waivers so I can change my connecting city.
Ahh, this is my life spring, summer, and winter out of ORD.

Safe travels tomorrow!
Old May 24, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Not that this isn't normal MO for AA to hold off on / not issue a waiver, but it seems for this case, the most logical alternate connection airport is DFW which was slammed yesterday and today and probably has a backlog of its own to deal with.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I have a feeling I'm going to have a tough time regardless of the airport I am going to go through tomorrow.

It seems that NYC hasn't been having the best weather either-combine that with DFW and ORD, AA is probably going to have a rough week
Old May 24, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA LFT. PLAT
Is it me or has it ben back and forth, one day its Dallas next Chicago. This has happened all week.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Yea-and now it seems to have climaxed. The storm thats in DFW now is heading straight in ORD's direction by tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be a very rough day for AA. That's why I wish they would issue a waiver for ORD. I do not want to travel tomorrow the way things are looking.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
I'm mileage-running to LAX tomorrow. Or so I think...
Old May 24, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by atrainexp22
Is it me or has it ben back and forth, one day its Dallas next Chicago. This has happened all week.
Well, it's spring in the midwest. We have thunderstorms. Looking at the convective outlook for tomorrow, the weather in Chicago doesn't look too bad. Last Sunday looked much worse (15% chance of tornado within 25 miles of a point), for example, and we really only got a tiny bit of rain. Forecasts can say there is the potential for severe weather and how much, but you can't be sure what's going to happen until the storms start forming.

Use US and connect through PHX if it's a problem for you
Old May 24, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
AA is always very slow, they don't offer any waivers until the absolute last second. But I do think that if they offered waivers, the crowd of people stressed at the airport would reduce. For those visiting friends and family, it might be convenient for them and AA to extend their trip by a few days.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:23 am

AA finally issued an ORD waiver this morning, sometime in the last hour (8-9am CDT). We have travel plans through ORD this afternoon and postponing the trip isn't an option. We'll just hope for the best!
Old May 25, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by ebuck
AA finally issued an ORD waiver this morning, sometime in the last hour (8-9am CDT). We have travel plans through ORD this afternoon and postponing the trip isn't an option. We'll just hope for the best!
Anyone know if they'll allow a change for a return flight in a RT as well (that falls outside the 2 days listed in the waiver)?
Old May 25, 2011, 8:40 am

ORD has been a total wreck this morning. First time ever I haven't got through to the Executive Platinum desk, after 2 attempts and over an hour on hold combined. Called when I left my house and made it to an agent at the Executive / International First checkin (which also had a wait) before anyone picked up. The board looked like about 75-100 flights were cancelled. Including my original flight. We'll see if I actually make it out of here!
Old May 25, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PLT
AA's travel policy (they put ORD and DFW together) states May 24-27 tix can be rebooked to May 28-30. May 28 would cut my trip home to 2 nights but I'm guessing they won't allow me to change the return too? I can't get through on the phone either to inquire about my 8 pm flight to SF.

Since I can't agree to May 28 does this mean I need to join the fray and hope to get out by tomorrow night?
Old May 25, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I think it's BS that they don't provide more flexibility. They're allowing people to push into the weekend. For business travelers, that's not going to work. I would say they should allow flexibility of at least 1-2 weeks out so people can actually reschedule appropriately.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:11 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
At lax, my lax to ord is delayed, ord to dfw cancelled, don't know about my lhr flight yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.